Author Topic: Costco Gas Hack  (Read 2049 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Costco Gas Hack
« on: February 19, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
For those who get their gas at Costco and don't know it, Costco has really long gas hoses. Anytime I go into mine for gas there's always a line for all the pumps that are set for a left side gas cap (Costco gas stations are one way traffic) and more often than not, empty pumps for the "right side" gas caps.  I always pull into those and am done fueling up before people who got there ahead of me have even made it to their pump.  :laugh:

Admittedly, I didn't know about this until I saw someone else do it, but it cracks me up that such a large portion of people don't. At some point they, like me, should have seen someone else do that, yet there are always crazy lines for the "left side" pumps.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Costco Gas Hack
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 01:52:04 PM »
I’ve done it. I can reach with a Ford Fusion and a Jeep JKUR no problem. Some trucks or vans or SUVs might be more of a stretch. The other local station where I buy fuel is same length. I suspect they come in 2 industry standard lengths.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:16:20 PM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »
"For those who get their gas at Costco and don't know it"

How would you not know that you're getting your gas at Costco?

Costco have a stealth strategy or something?  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »
More often than not, I am in a gas line at Costco in which I have to stretch the hose across the truck bed.  I am not going to wait longer for a pump on the left side.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 02:43:08 PM »

Hardeeharhar!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 02:45:40 PM »
I’ve done it. I can teach with a Ford Fusion and a Jeep JKUR no problem. Some trucks or vans or SUVs might be more of a stretch. The other local station where I buy fuel is same length. I suspect they come in 2 industry standard lengths.

I reach my 4Runner and F-150 no problem. I do have to make sure I get close to the curb of the island though. I don't know why the longer one isn't the industry standard. They can't cost much more and would sure alleviate lines at a lot of places.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »

That's how they getcha.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 06:03:40 PM »

Well played, Sir. Well played, indeed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »
Is there not enough room to come in from the other direction?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 07:51:01 PM »
Is there not enough room to come in from the other direction?

No, all the Costco stations I've ever been to are one-way traffic. One entrance, one exit.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 07:51:36 PM »
The hack on those long hoses is to shut off pump then pull handle again then hold hose up and get the gas out of the hose.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 08:11:22 PM »
For those who get their gas at Costco and don't know it, Costco has really long gas hoses. Anytime I go into mine for gas there's always a line for all the pumps that are set for a left side gas cap (Costco gas stations are one way traffic) and more often than not, empty pumps for the "right side" gas caps.  I always pull into those and am done fueling up before people who got there ahead of me have even made it to their pump.  :laugh:

Admittedly, I didn't know about this until I saw someone else do it, but it cracks me up that such a large portion of people don't. At some point they, like me, should have seen someone else do that, yet there are always crazy lines for the "left side" pumps.

??? They put those long hoses on there just for that reason. Since when is it a "hack" to use equipment as it was intended?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 08:14:24 PM »
??? They put those long hoses on there just for that reason. Since when is it a "hack" to use equipment as it was intended?

Based upon my decades of observation at the Costco gas pumps, I believe many people are completely unaware of the purpose of the long hoses.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 08:38:23 PM »
Based upon my decades of observation at the Costco gas pumps, I believe many people are completely unaware of the purpose of the long hoses.

Plus it's hard to tell that they are in fact long enough to reach given the way they are hung. It's something you can't do at the majority of other stations I've been to.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 09:50:25 PM »
Plus it's hard to tell that they are in fact long enough to reach given the way they are hung. It's something you can't do at the majority of other stations I've been to.

AFAIK it's only the discount clubs that do that: Costco, Sam's Club, and BJ's. I've never seen the long hoses anywhere else.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 09:56:28 PM »
Plus it's hard to tell that they are in fact long enough to reach given the way they are hung.

Phrasing.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 12:38:38 AM »
Personally, I'd rather wait in line than have the hose potentially scratch my clear coat. It's bad enough that I can't pump my own gas in NJ, and end up with scratches around my fuel door from careless attendants. I'll gladly wait an extra 5 mins to avoid having them on my roof or trunk too (depending on which car I'm in).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 07:16:40 AM »
Phrasing.

It's obviously a well hung pump.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 07:47:45 AM »
Personally, I'd rather wait in line than have the hose potentially scratch my clear coat. It's bad enough that I can't pump my own gas in NJ, and end up with scratches around my fuel door from careless attendants. I'll gladly wait an extra 5 mins to avoid having them on my roof or trunk too (depending on which car I'm in).

I don't worry about paint and scratches much anymore because of where I live, but I find that if I pull forward enough, using the well hung hose on the right side mostly avoids contact with the vehicle. If the hose is not well hung, perhaps it becomes more of a problem, especially with female drivers, who will become irritated with a not well hung hose. Otherwise it's not that difficult to grab your hose and hold it away from the car during the process, especially if your hose is well hung. You might need to manipulate your hose a bit until everything is done, but it's an enjoyable process, especially, again, if the hose is well hung and you have a lot of hose to hold.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 10:01:41 AM »
Since I am the one who washes and waxes both cars, I take care with the long hose to ensure I am not contacting the vehicle or scratching the paint.  As Ben says, being able to pull forward far enough is key.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 10:48:10 AM »
AFAIK it's only the discount clubs that do that: Costco, Sam's Club, and BJ's. I've never seen the long hoses anywhere else.
Au contrare.
Our local privately owned station has the long reach ones. It is the last remaining full service station within miles and they have a lot of commercial and municipal accounts so they fuel a lot of service trucks, school buses, delivery box trucks, etc. Their gas is the same price as all the other local standards that are pump yer own but they still offer to pump your fuel and wash your windshield and will check tires and oil on request. The pumps are manned from 6am to 8pm (and self serv after that). The owner told me that might change as the Illinois politix dumasses have happily decided to elevate minimum wage to $15/hr. Its really tragic because he has employed a lot of high school and college kids that instead of $9 jobs will have none. and he has a long history of hiring and helping good teens and families that need it most. I know his fuel sales are a minimal profit over cost and he makes his living on his towing operation and service/repairs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:04:53 AM by Kingcreek »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 10:53:54 AM »
I've seen long-reach hoses at some stations in Northern Virginia, but they're few and far between, at least at the stations I normally use.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 11:09:08 AM »
Buc-ees down here just puts in more pumps....a lot more.  This is one of the newer stations in Katy, TX. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 11:22:25 AM »
Totally off topic but this thread has got me thinking about my second job as a 16 year old, working at a Sunoco station. Back in the old full service days when we wore uniform coveralls and ALWAYS washed the glass and offered to check the tires and under the hood. The pumps featured "Custom Blended Fuel" with 5 different grades from Economy grade 85 octane to Super Premium 93 octane. There were actually only 2 bulk tanks but the big lever on the side of the pump made the desired fuel grade. There were bell hoses strung across the drive and we were expected to immediately race out and greet the customer and deliver full service with an acne-faced smile.
While checking their oil, we were supposed to suggest an oil change if it looked dirty (or the sticker on the windshield indicated it was due) and also inspect all belts and hoses We were also to visually inspect tires as we checked pressure. Coincidently, we also sold washer fluid, tires, belts, and hoses, and exhaiust parts as well as offered full mechanic repair shop for everything else. The owner ran monthly sales incentive contests (that's how I won a brand new 8 track under dash tape deck!).
Those were the good old days. I always had a little spending money, I bought a car, gas was cheap, and we could use the owners discount on any tools or car parts.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »
I recall my Dad saying he had to get out of the car and wave off the gas station guys to keep them out of his car.  He did his own work and didn't want anyone messing around under the hood.   =D  

There was an Exxon station in my home town that had the full service lane and garage.  It closed in the 90's.  I was thinking there are still full service stations around, but most closed.