Author Topic: Who wants an electric motorbike?  (Read 2463 times)

Iain

• friend
Who wants an electric motorbike?
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »

Charge time claimed to be under 4 hours off standard outlet.
Range - up to 60 miles
Top speed (think it is limited) - 60mph
0-60 - under 5 seconds
With power pack it weighs 220lbs

Running cost claimed to be less than $0.01 per km.
Purchase price - $9950

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s.php

In a few years this sort of thing might be a very serious proposition. The specs are more than adequate for a daily commute in town/city traffic.

I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Nightfall

• friend
Re: Who wants an electric motorbike?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 11:22:08 AM »
Very cool. Target audience sounds like it should be new riders though, switching away from the gas cost of cars. "My bike eats up too much gas!" is not a complaint often heard from people with "comparable" bikes to this, which often hit 50 MPG+ easily. Still, doesn't seem to be a hard sell, especially if those range/top speed numbers go up.

Maybe a real good beginner bike. Though I don't know if 0-60 on one twist of the throttle is perfectly newbie friendly...  =)
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:25:10 AM »
Watched a Jay Leno video on the off-road version. There were a couple of switches on that which would make it far more newbie friendly. One limited the top speed to 30mph and the other reduced the acceleration.

Anyway, it partly appeals to me because I'm starting to get a real thing about supermotos.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:56:40 PM »
Purchase price - $9950

Yeah. Right.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »
This is kinda nifty. I'd buy it just for the cool toy factor if I had 10 grand I jut didn't know what to do with.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 02:34:09 PM »
Watched a Jay Leno video on the off-road version. There were a couple of switches on that which would make it far more newbie friendly. One limited the top speed to 30mph and the other reduced the acceleration.
I wish more bikes offered this kind of option for new riders. Some offer mode switches, which is better than nothing.
Anyway, it partly appeals to me because I'm starting to get a real thing about supermotos.
At least it's not supersports. The only thing keeping my wife from killing me is that I don't have a garage to park a bike in for the time being. Otherwise, I think she'd give serious consideration to murdering me in my sleep to keep from having to deal with another hobby I can't really afford right now.  =D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »
At least it's not supersports.

When I was a kid I would draw motorbikes a lot. Lots of the stuff I came up with was heavily streetfighter-esque, very similar to this:

I quite like the modern supermotos, but would quite like to see them taken on further - wider tyres, more streetfighter in there. That sort of leads to the Ducati Hypermotard:

That's an expensive bike though. If I ever get around to learning to ride then I might just go very retro:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
I quite like the modern supermotos, but would quite like to see them taken on further - wider tyres, more streetfighter in there. That sort of leads to the Ducati Hypermotard:

Nice bike, but something about the name is a bit... off.  Sounds like a bad nickname for people waaaaaaaay too into their Ducatis. :laugh:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
Out for a bicycle ride up City Creek canyon out of downtown SLC.  Well, actually from my house in West Jordan, the round trip was about 60 miles.
Anyways, I was about halfway up the canyon grinding the switchbacks.  I'm in my zone, hauling along.  I hear someone overtaking me, and look to see some middle aged pudgy housewife on of all things an electric bicyle passing me uphill.  She was peddling, too, but the bike was doing most of the work. 
Ever smell an electric motor working too hard?  yeah I had to smell that for awhile. 
Then, at the steepest part of the canyon, I come along pudgy housewife and her bike.  On the side of the road, kickstand down, cellphone out. 
"You okay?"
"Yeah, I ran out of power....."
 ;/
Apparantly the damn thing weighed about 60lbs and I'm not even sure it could be ridden without electric assist.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 09:14:57 AM »
You know, back in the early to mid 80's, General Motors had a concept vehicle it called the "Lean Machine" that was basically a three wheeled motorcycle with an enclosed cockpit.  As you went into a turn, the vehicle would lean into the turn, just as a bike does.  It gave the vehicle stability that many three wheelers (think ATC) lacked.  At that time, GM was showing approx. 200 mpg.  Granted, it was a single seater, designed as a commuter vehicle, but as someone who commutes 35 miles each way, and has a phobia about motorcycles, I'd be interested.  Wonder if anyone at GM has considered bringing it back from the concept car graveyard...

http://www.3wheelers.com/gmlean.html

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 09:40:04 AM »

That's nigh on perfect.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:32:51 AM »
When I was a kid I would draw motorbikes a lot. Lots of the stuff I came up with was heavily streetfighter-esque, very similar to this:

Speaking of streetfighters.
http://www.streetfighter.ducati.com/jspstreetfighter/studio.jsp

I'm at work so I can't post the actual picture but this is the new Ducati Streetfighter.  Basically, it's a naked version of the 1098.  Which means it is bad ass.  I waited 20 years before buying my first Duc and this might be my second Duc in just a few more.

Edit so as not to completely hijack the thread:  Most of the electric bikes are just fugly.  Not only that but one of the great things about motorcycles, especially Italian V-Twins, is the aural output.  Something you definitely don't get with the electrics.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:54:23 AM by Dannyboy »
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 12:01:54 PM »
OK guys, I am an old guy and somewhat old school.  I have been riding over 50 years and the term "streetfighter" escapes me.  What exactly is a streetfighter?  BTW, I have three 1982 Kawasaki KZ1100s which I ride daily.....chris3

Hit enter too soon.....One of those electric bikes would make a dandy tag along for my motorhome when I was not trailering my other bike....chris3
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:20:40 PM by coppertales »

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »
Not only that but one of the great things about motorcycles, especially Italian V-Twins, is the aural output.  Something you definitely don't get with the electrics.

Imagine that bike playing motorcycle sounds out of a speaker hidden under the seat.

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKYpyu1_1os&feature=related
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

myrockfight

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 01:47:36 PM »
Yeah. Right.
LOL. That is exactly what I was thinking. Ten grand for a battery and an electric motor on a frame, with all the accoutrements, that cost what....maybe $1500 to build. Get real.

All this green crap is going to be what they try to financially rape us with. "Everyone" wants one! Riiiiight :rolleyes:

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 01:52:14 PM »
OK guys, I am an old guy and somewhat old school.  I have been riding over 50 years and the term "streetfighter" escapes me.  What exactly is a streetfighter?  BTW, I have three 1982 Kawasaki KZ1100s which I ride daily.....chris3

Hit enter too soon.....One of those electric bikes would make a dandy tag along for my motorhome when I was not trailering my other bike....chris3

As I understand it the streetfighters really took off in the UK in the 80's and 90's. Seems to have started with guys buying crashed sportsbikes and removing the damaged fairings and starting from there. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetfighter - as a starting point.

The concept has been adopted by manufacturers - think Triumph Speed Triple.

myrockfight - development costs, startup business - any of this seem like it might contribute to the (not actually outrageous) cost of this particular first-gen bike? Or are you just flying off the handle about them greenies?