Author Topic: Who will be the first to make this?  (Read 6896 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Who will be the first to make this?
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:09:22 AM »
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/altoids-mini-bbq/?pid=192

A BBQ made out of an Altoids tin that uses a single charcoal briquette for fuel!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Who will be the first to make this?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
How about an altoids tin hobo stove?

http://www.instructables.com/id/mini-Altoids-stove/

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:28:16 AM »
You could shoot your cannon while waiting for your shrimp to cook.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »
I actually might take a stab at the altoids tin stove. 
After looking over the designs, I have some ideas on how to make one with a pot-rest or windscreen. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »
I already have something similar in my day-pack. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 01:46:13 PM »
Reminds me of the "Sardine Senders" which used to be popular weekend junkbox projects for Amateur Radio Operators.  These are small "QRP" (low-powered, <5 Watts) radio transmitters built on sardine and tuna fish cans for grins and giggles, although contacts with them can be made around the world:

http://www.qsl.net/kb0p/sardine2.gif

http://www.qsl.net/kb0p/sardine1.gif

I was going to build one using the "peanut tube" from an old Civil Defense radiation monitor, but kind of gave upon it for a while.... like thirty years.  I figured, heck, any darned fool could built a sardine sender with transistors, I was going to use tube technology!

Peanut tube:

https://www.tubeworld.com/6021w.jpg

I figured I might get a half-watt of power out of it running Class C.  Maybe.  With forced-air cooling.  Or dipping it in LN2 (liquid nitrogen.)   But it was just for grins and giggles.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:04:12 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »
Hey Terry!  They got them nefangled things called "transistors" now.  They kinda work like them tube thingies but they're a lot smaller and use less power I hear.  Even less than them peanut tubes.  It would be easy to make a sardine sender now.  =D

Dang, you brought back some memories Terry. "Sardine Senders" indeed. I had forgotten all about them. Thanks.  =)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »
Oh, blast.  I'm forever editing and added something about them new-fangled transistor thingies before I read your post.

Here's the first transistor, from Bell Labs:

I'm still trying to figure out which wires go to what, E,B, or C, in that setup.

I quit dreaming about a peanut-tube xmtr* when they came out with those packaged four-terminal oscillators for computers --Vcc in, ground, and an output pin, and a case ground.  Fit one on your thumbnail.  I read of one guy who built a QRP rig with a hex inverter chip.  Phooey.

Somewhere around there's a couple of articles on building xmtrs out of the components in the bases of those compact fluorescent bulbs, too.  Example (see "Why stop there?" paragraph):

http://www.ai4fr.com/main/page_electronic_repair_bulb.html

Terry, 230RN

Xmtr = "transmitter."  The prefix "trans" is sometimes written as an "x."  Hence, "transformer" = xfrmr, "transmitter" = transmitter, "transistor" = xistor, "transfer" = xfr, "transve..."

...Never mind on that last one.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:36:56 PM by 230RN »

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 02:26:55 PM »
Yeah they had some interesting things including a diy Altoid tin usb drive on there.....
JD

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
I believe there was also an Altoids tin battery pack.
Look, tiny text!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 05:51:37 PM »
But the real question is whether Altoid tins will ever replace the old metal Band-Aid boxes with the snap tops for storing small thingies?

Buttons.

Nuts and bolts and washers.

Extra fish-hooks?

Occasionally, ammo?

Well, will they?

Incidentally, I believe that a lot of things like those cans and maybe those fan guards may have a toxic phosphide coating on them.  That's one of the reasons (I heard) that use of old refrigerator shelf grills for grilling food is not a good idea.

?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »
headphone amps also fit in them there tins. =D i'm pretty sure i saw a board that would fit in the smalls tin too. :O

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 12:50:49 AM »

Incidentally, I believe that a lot of things like those cans and maybe those fan guards may have a toxic phosphide coating on them.  That's one of the reasons (I heard) that use of old refrigerator shelf grills for grilling food is not a good idea.

I think Cadmium was the problem.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 02:50:48 AM »

No love for the alcohol burning beer can stoves?  For shame!

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 12:33:57 PM »
My friend has a small fleet of the beverage-can alcohol stoves. I can't imagine a lighter stove for backpacking; I think it weighs like 1oz.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
No love for the alcohol burning beer can stoves?  For shame!

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/

That is cool stuff! I'm going to make some. :cool:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
That is cool stuff! I'm going to make some. :cool:

If you can make solid version of it, I'd pay a pretty penny.  Only problem I have with those is that they're not durable.  You don't step on it or throw it against a rock wall without damaging it.  Hence I'd be nervous to put it in my primary kit.  Day trips?  Sure.  Weekend or longer?  Not a chance.  Maybe if I made a kydex container for it...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »
Anyone remember the old heating tabs that came with C-rats?  Anyone remember what the combustion products were?  Did you ever have them used on you in chem warfare training?  Choke, choke, gasp, gasp...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 02:53:37 AM »
I was just thinking that those fuel tabs they make for model steam engines might be useful in microstoves like you folks are describing:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=dry+fuel+tablets

Seems to me it would be a lot easier to light these tabs than a single charcoal briquet. (Though that briquet might have been just for photgraphic purposes.) The fuel tabs burn long enough to bring a cup of water to boiling at high pressure in the model steam engine boilers.

Me, I'm a Sterno man, myself.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:58:01 AM by 230RN »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 07:25:28 AM »
Me, I'm a Sterno man, myself.

You'll have no problem with the Andromeda Strain then.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 07:41:33 AM »
If you can make solid version of it, I'd pay a pretty penny.  Only problem I have with those is that they're not durable.  You don't step on it or throw it against a rock wall without damaging it. 

You mean like this? http://www.rei.com/product/761903

Not cheap considering you can make one out of a soda can, but it is light and strong.

Chris