Author Topic: Who should get credit for this  (Read 793 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Who should get credit for this
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:24:15 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/nypd-officers-act-kindness-viral-facebook-reddit/story?id=17838519#.ULfeukKGapE

Tis apparently is all over the intertubez an a wonderful thing done by a NYPD officer.

My question is - since his going into the store to buy the shoes, his using his own money to buy the shoes, and his putting the socks and shoes on the homeless guy are all activities clearly outside his duties as a NYPD officer, should he be getting any credit as a NYPD officer?*

Understand, I do not in any way mean to belittle his at of generosity.  Heck, with enough of the milk of human kindness flowing through me I might even begin to think his acts had parallels to tat famous washing-of-the-feet incident.

But isn't this/shouldn't this be a story outside the fact that he is a NYPD officer?

stay safe.

* Most other times of the year I would have expected to read that he got docked time, if not suspended, for doing non-cop stuff on the clock.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Who should get credit for this
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/nypd-officers-act-kindness-viral-facebook-reddit/story?id=17838519#.ULfeukKGapE

But isn't this/shouldn't this be a story outside the fact that he is a NYPD officer?

stay safe.

* Most other times of the year I would have expected to read that he got docked time, if not suspended, for doing non-cop stuff on the clock.

I'd assume that. 

Good on him though,  provided it wasn't deliberate photo op.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
He really has nothing to gain if done just as a photo-op. Good on him for a charitable act that just happened to be caught on camera.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:09:53 AM »
Eh. If he'd gone all roadrage in uniform on the way home (non cop activity) we'd certainly let the NYPD share the blame. Let them bask a little in reflected glory. It's not like the agency itself does enough good things to bask in it's own.