Author Topic: Who wants to buy a house?  (Read 3378 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Who wants to buy a house?
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »
Nice house. 100+ acres. Mountain views. Tax-free NH. May come with ordnance.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/20/bomb-risk-awaits-bidders-on-new-hampshire-tax-militants-land/

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Who wants to buy a house?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
<sarcasm>Just buy it, claim you saw some endangered pocket gopher on the place, open it up to let people explore for it and let them find the mines. </sarcasm>:)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
<sarcasm>Just buy it, claim you saw some endangered pocket gopher on the place, open it up to let people the hippies explore for it and let them find the mines. </sarcasm>:)

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
Do you get to keep any explosives you can disarm?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
Nice house. 100+ acres. Mountain views. Tax-free NH. May come with ordnance.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/20/bomb-risk-awaits-bidders-on-new-hampshire-tax-militants-land/

Hmm.  Wonder if any of my boy's Free State Project buddies knows them.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
Was this the older couple that did the big standoff a few years ago, and then some fed posed as a supporter and arrested them while visiting inside the fort  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »
Yes- amazingly, the fed's did not use A-10's  or M-1's. not even a infantry squad- just a smart copper. It is possible, though unlikely, that a tiny nugget of knowledge somehow escaped unscathed from Waco and implanted itself in the brain of at least one federal Agent. =D

Those folks committed the single gravest crime -refusing to accept the taxing authority of the nation state.
 Life in prison. All assets confiscated by the state. But it's a free country, heh?!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
they were guilty of felony stupid
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 12:12:23 PM »
Soooo, Fed.gov... you want me to pay at least $250K with the chance I might get blown up AND agree not to sue you for this privilege.

.... boy, that's a tough offer to pass up.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
That is going to be one hell of a disclaimer.....
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
they were guilty of felony stupid

so -it is stupid to say the feds did something right for a change?  Yeah, I guess it is. sorry.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »
Those folks committed the single gravest crime -refusing to accept the taxing authority of the nation state.
 Life in prison. All assets confiscated by the state. But it's a free country, heh?!

They must have thought the fairy tale of 'property ownership' was real. Lolz.
Noone owns anything, at best we pay a low rental price for the land we occupy.
All they did was salt the land to discourage the next renter from moving in.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
They must have thought the fairy tale of 'property ownership' was real. Lolz.
Noone owns anything, at best we pay a low rental price for the land we occupy.
All they did was salt the land to discourage the next renter from moving in.

think of it as the worlds worst hoa with high monthly fees
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
So will this be an APS scavenger party or a "hippie blammy" version of cow-flop bingo?

How are the breezes up there?  We could put together a few of these http://www.scidev.net/global/technology/news/wind-powered-landmine-detector-developed.html and do cow-flop bingo without hippie bits floating all over the place.

103 acres plus house potentially full of explosives?  Less than $100/acre would be a decent bid - the government could then try to reset the assessment every year and we could cordially invite them to walk around the place to see if it was any safer than the previous year.

Just a few ideas to get wheels spinning.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 05:13:49 PM »
No thank you.  I had an opportunity after the army to go to Saudi and Kuwait to clean up UXO and mines as a contractor.  I declined.  I certainly wouldn't want to have to do that on my own property.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »

I'd buy it. But at $2,500/acre?  Ehhh.

Basically, govt doesn't want to take a loss. No business will buy it with the liability being assumed.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
Probably some "placed" political person wants it, and pulled some strings to make it less desirable on the open market, thus lowering the price. Or maybe the town wants it for a park or similar.

Land mines? Please- if the Feds really thought there were mines there, they would sweep that place clean. All sorts of glory and money and charges and promotions and anti terror justifications to be had.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 08:46:05 AM »
Probably some "placed" political person wants it, and pulled some strings to make it less desirable on the open market, thus lowering the price. Or maybe the town wants it for a park or similar.

Land mines? Please- if the Feds really thought there were mines there, they would sweep that place clean. All sorts of glory and money and charges and promotions and anti terror justifications to be had.

Uhm, article says the feds DID sweep the place. They just can't guarantee it's actually 100% clear.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
They only swept the house and the cleared ground around it to the treeline.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 07:36:59 AM »
You'd need a LEUP from the BATFE just to buy the place.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »

Basically, govt doesn't want to take a loss. No business will buy it with the liability being assumed.

That is the going rate (or below) for a lot of recreation land outside of productive farmland and desert.

I've been looking for some hunting land to buy for many years and the current prices have been prohibiting me from doing so.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »

That is cheap, especially with the house included.  The going rate near me for buildable land is $10k-20k per acre.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »
That is cheap, especially with the house included.  The going rate near me for buildable land is $10k-20k per acre.

Not cheap for uncertified and uninsurable, due to possible UXO.

Yea you can buy it cheap. But good luck disposing of the property. No one will insurance it, and most mortgage places won't cover a place that can't be insured. So you'd have to pay cash.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »
They only swept the house and the cleared ground around it to the treeline.
Sounds like a feature to me.

I can't think of anything better than a pre-planted minefield to keep the hippies/zombies/aliens out. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.