Author Topic: Judge Strikes Down CA Firearm Waiting Period  (Read 4132 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Judge Strikes Down CA Firearm Waiting Period
« on: August 25, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »
The fireworks from this should be interesting. I try to keep up on the goings on here, but hadn't even heard this was in the court system. I'll have to read up on exactly what it says, but it appears that if you've purchased a firearm previously, and have a CCW or one of our stupid eligibility cards (easy to get), you can be like the rest of the country and walk out of the store with your gun. People who have never purchased a firearm before evidently have to still do the 10 day thing.

I think I hear Kamala Harris screaming.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/25/federal-judge-strikes-down-california-gun-purchase-waiting-period-in-some-cases/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Judge Strikes Down CA Firearm Waiting Period
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:15:16 PM »
Eastern District of California Judge Anthony W. Ishii said Monday that the waiting period provision violates the Second Amendment rights of those who have already been approved to own a gun. This includes those who have previously undergone a background check and own a gun, people with concealed-carry permits and people who have a state certificate of eligibility to own a gun.

First-time gun buyers would still be subject to the waiting period, which Ishii emphasized in his ruling.

“Given the nature of the challenges made, the Court emphasizes that it is expressing no opinion on the constitutionality of the 10-day waiting period in general or as applied to first time California firearms purchasers,” he said.

At least he left the door open for the other second-class citizens to sue for their fundamental civil rights under the Constitution.

Any word as to whether CA is going to play the en Banc card?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:18:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
At least he left the door open for the other second-class citizens to sue for their fundamental civil rights under the Constitution.

Any word as to whether CA is going to play the en Banc card?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question an en banc rehearing doesn't even come into play until after a three-judge panel of the appropriate Court of Appeals (here, the 9th Circuit) hears the case.  Even then it is the judges' discretion to rehear the case en banc, not something a party can demand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:21 AM »
^ You're right.  I even had the statement "If I understand that process clearly" in there but deleted it.  Clearly, I didn't understand it clearly.   :facepalm:

Thanks for the correction.

Terry

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
The fireworks from this should be interesting. I try to keep up on the goings on here, but hadn't even heard this was in the court system. I'll have to read up on exactly what it says, but it appears that if you've purchased a firearm previously, and have a CCW or one of our stupid eligibility cards (easy to get), you can be like the rest of the country and walk out of the store with your gun. People who have never purchased a firearm before evidently have to still do the 10 day thing.

I think I hear Kamala Harris screaming.

Not quite the rest of the country.  Wisconsin has a waiting period for handguns.  I'd certainly like to see that done away with.  No waiting on long guns though.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:10 AM »
state certificate of eligibility to own a gun

That is scary right there  =(

How about a "state certificate of eligibility to attend church" ?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »
That is scary right there  =(

How about a "state certificate of eligibility to attend church" ?  =|

It's different than that. It's for people like gun dealers and collectors, including C&R. You don't need one to go to a gun store and buy a gun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »
It's different than that. It's for people like gun dealers and collectors, including C&R. You don't need one to go to a gun store and buy a gun.

If you want to buy a handgun, you have to have a Handgun Safety Certificate:  http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo

Not difficult to get, but it is another bureaucratic hoop to jump through.

There is talk of requiring a certificate to purchase long guns, but I don't believe that has happened yet.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »
If you want to buy a handgun, you have to have a Handgun Safety Certificate:  http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo

There is talk of requiring a certificate to purchase long guns, but I don't believe that has happened yet.

Yeah, I had to get the "safety certificate" when I bought my last handgun a few years ago. It's super simple and an untrained chimp could pass it, but you're right, it IS another bureaucratic hurdle, and if I remember right, I had to pay to get it, so it's more money to the state for anti-gun stuff.

I read up on this current ruling a bit more at CalGuns, and what I get out of it is that there are three ways to bypass the waiting period.

1) CCW permit
2) Already have purchased a gun that is in the database.
3) Cert of Eligibility AND have purchased a gun already in the database.

Which makes me wonder why #3 is even in there if you can't bypass with COE without already having a gun in the system.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »

I read up on this current ruling a bit more at CalGuns, and what I get out of it is that there are three ways to bypass the waiting period.

1) CCW permit
2) Already have purchased a gun that is in the database.
3) Cert of Eligibility AND have purchased a gun already in the database.

Which makes me wonder why #3 is even in there if you can't bypass with COE without already having a gun in the system.

Interesting.  From what I read on it (not a lot, admittedly), no. 2 did not appear to be an option.  If it is, great.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 03:00:39 PM »
Interesting.  From what I read on it (not a lot, admittedly), no. 2 did not appear to be an option.  If it is, great.

That was a highlight from the FAQ on Calguns. The thread on it is incredibly long and I haven't taken the time to read through the whole thing to figure out exactly what's going on.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
Which should have the Anti's here in Illinois crapping their pants.  It already takes 60-90+ days to get a FOID card.  (Which consists of a background check etc.)  We have a 24 hours wait period for long guns and 72 hours wait period for Handguns.   Plus Illinois already maintains an Illegal database of gun purchases, so anyone with a previously purchased gun or a FOID card would qualify.

I bet a suit is filed here by the ISRA or Illinois Carry within the foreseeable future....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 10:40:32 PM »
I bet a suit is filed here by the ISRA or Illinois Carry within the foreseeable future....

The judge gave a 180 day stay on the order so that the state could prepare for it, so there may be some monkey business from the .gov in the meantime. Hopefully they won't have a leg to stand on though.

Unfortunately, by the time this goes into effect, half the handguns currently sold in CA won't be available to us anymore because manufacturers are not playing the state's microstamping game (and I support the manufacturers in that). A ton more pistols fall of the CA DOJ "safe handgun roster" this month, with many  more to follow before the end of the year. Of course there is a suit in progress regarding that as well, and I think there's a good chance we'll win that one.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »
Which should have the Anti's here in Illinois crapping their pants.  It already takes 60-90+ days to get a FOID card.  (Which consists of a background check etc.)  We have a 24 hours wait period for long guns and 72 hours wait period for Handguns.   Plus Illinois already maintains an Illegal database of gun purchases, so anyone with a previously purchased gun or a FOID card would qualify.

Not to play the legal eagle again, but IL is in the 7th Circuit.  CA is in the 9th.  Decisions by the Courts of Appeals are persuasive in other circuits but not binding.  Until SCOTUS rules on the issues 7th Circuit can do what they want.

On the other hand, 7th Circuit led by Judge Posner did strike down the IL no carry law.  Who knows what will happen.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Y' suppose maybe some Judges have learned how to read English?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 12:49:18 AM »
Y' suppose maybe some Judges have learned how to read English?
am I having a stroke, or is 230RN typing in French? [tinfoil]

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 03:14:21 AM »
am I having a stroke, or is 230RN typing in French? [tinfoil]

Je pense que peut-être vous êtes victime d'un accident vasculaire cérébral.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
If you want to buy a handgun, you have to have a Handgun Safety Certificatehttp://oag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo

Not if you have a CCW.  ;)

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.