Author Topic: Spy satellite could hit the USA, but DoD will shoot it down first (Merged threads)  (Read 23761 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Hey, that last one is unrepping, that's classified dammit! You want the ruskies to find out how we do it?

What is "unrepping"?

Chris

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Re: Spy satellite could hit the USA, but DoD will shoot it down first (Merged th
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2008, 08:47:49 AM »
Underway replenishment.  I think.  Never been in the Navy.

In other news, this is a video of the satellite shot.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2008/02/21/pentagon.sat.shoot7a.cnn?iref=mpvideosview

mtnbkr

• friend
Oh, ok, I see the hose now.  I missed it earlier.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Spy satellite could hit the USA, but DoD will shoot it down first (Merged th
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2008, 09:28:29 AM »
Somehow, I think the Russians have figured out the fuel hose idea already.

(What you don't see is that the hose goes to one of a line of low-flying KC-135's...THAT'S our secret)  cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Unrepping means underway replentishing.

In essence, taking on fuel and other items while at sea under power.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Ix-nay dammit IX-NAY!!  shocked

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
Fuel, bullets, food, mail, people. Yes, people! (you don't want to, it don't look fun)  shocked

HankB

• friend

Reminds me of a story I heard many years ago from the late Grace Hopper, one of the pioneers of Navy computing. (All computing, actually.)

As I recall it, as part of some officer training class, she'd been assigned the problem of refueling a defined flotilla in the shortest possible amount of time - the ships in this theoretical exercise all had defined fuel capacities, state of fill, and defined pumping capability.

In response to her question, the instructor told her there were NO constraints other than refueling in the shortest possible time.

She programmed the problem into her computer, and came up with the SHORTEST time the instructors had ever seen.

All the ships were lined up at once, and all the pumps were going full blast. Some fuel went from the oiler(s) into the battleships, only to be pumped out at the same time into a cruiser . . . which in turn was simultaneously being pumped out by a destroyer. You get the picture - in order to move the maximum amount of fuel in the shortest possible time, all pumping capability of the entire flotilla was used.

"A very interesting solution" was the (unhappy) instructor's response.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh yeah, I know my fair share of people who have ridden the chair between ships.

A couple who also did it while riding a stretcher after having been injured.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
I watched a brandy new Ensign get dunked pretty good.  He was a bit wobbly when we got him on board laugh

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.

Вы, камрад....

(Thank you, Comrade.....)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"