Author Topic: Spy satellite could hit the USA, but DoD will shoot it down first (Merged threads)  (Read 23762 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Spy Sattelite Could hit the USA...
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 07:19:44 AM »
I might have to sit on the deck drinking beer and watch it burn up in the atmosphere.
Remember, if the position of the satellite doesn't move in your view, run.  Don't forget the beer.

Steady bearing and decreasing range.......
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 07:27:35 AM »
I might have to sit on the deck drinking beer and watch it burn up in the atmosphere.
Remember, if the position of the satellite doesn't move in your view, run.  Don't forget the beer.

Do I have to warn my wife at the time?

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »
No.  Carry your own beer.   grin
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »
Don't worry, we have Chuck Norris.  The rest of the world is on it's own, though...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 11:07:44 AM »
Now is a good time to test that new hot to trot anti missile system.  Little pieces burn up much easier than big ones.  The wreckage would not threaten any satellites up there as the bus would be too low on re entry.....chris3

What if we miss and hit a Black Angus in the butt somewhere in Nebraska?

Then we take the joystick away from fistful and let someone else aim.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 01:26:56 PM »
If I find it, do I get to keep it?  Like salvage?
I wonder if one couldn't do something fun with any rocket fuel found...

I'm fair sure the fuel supply won't be making it to the ground...
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »
Now is a good time to test that new hot to trot anti missile system.  Little pieces burn up much easier than big ones.  The wreckage would not threaten any satellites up there as the bus would be too low on re entry.....chris3

How about we throw Fistful at it?  grin

Seriously, there's a *LOT* of open space here in the USA.  Odds are, if anything survives to reach the ground, it'll hit in the middle of nowhere.

What if we miss and hit a Black Angus in the butt somewhere in Nebraska?

Then we take the joystick away from fistful and let someone else aim.....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2008, 06:57:24 PM »
Well, we could always hope that this thing hits Washington DC

U.N. building in NYC gets my vote, if it has to land somewhere in the U.S.  Or maybe Hollywood.   smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 07:04:43 PM »
Well, we could always hope that this thing hits Washington DC

U.N. building in NYC gets my vote, if it has to land somewhere in the U.S.  Or maybe Hollywood.   smiley

Better yet takes out some large dam that stores water for LA.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 07:10:38 AM »

There isn't one.  Nyahh!

(I did work in Hollywood a year or so ago, though!  Hmmm...)
To the stars!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 07:30:50 AM »

There isn't one.  Nyahh!

(I did work in Hollywood a year or so ago, though!  Hmmm...)

LA Doesn't have some large reservoir for water?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 07:43:56 AM »
Not really.  There are several small-medium reservoirs, but no actual dams that someone (or something) could destroy and cause significant damage.  Most of Southern California's water comes from Northern California or the Colorado River.  There are also ground sources.

Taking out Hollywood wouldn't really do much, either.  The only major studio actually in Hollywood (which incidentally, is not an incorporated city, but part of Los Angeles) is Paramount.  Warners and Disney are in Burbank, Universal is in Universal City, Fox is in Century City, and Sony (Columbia/TriStar) is in Culver City. 

For a time there, I was concerned that if the terrorists got it into their heads to start targeting studios, I was in big trouble.  I worked at Paramount, and lived about 3 miles from Fox and 1/2 mile from Sony.  shocked

Not any more though.   
To the stars!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »
They're gonna shoot it down.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h7aoM2ii3QVBCAV8m2HtJSuPxPNwD8UQ82A03

First public mention that we've got a satellite-killer?
The disabled satellite is expected to hit the Earth the first week of March. Officials said the Navy would likely shoot it down before then, using a special missile modified for the task.

They're giving the task to the Navy. Wow, the Air Force must be pissed.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 09:40:29 AM »
Send Abby after it.

It would probably willfully hurl itself into the sun to avoid that kind of punishment.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »
They're gonna shoot it down.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h7aoM2ii3QVBCAV8m2HtJSuPxPNwD8UQ82A03

First public mention that we've got a satellite-killer?
The disabled satellite is expected to hit the Earth the first week of March. Officials said the Navy would likely shoot it down before then, using a special missile modified for the task.

They're giving the task to the Navy. Wow, the Air Force must be pissed.

This is in response to Russia's overflights of our carriers......good response, too.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2008, 10:27:26 AM »
what ever happened to project star wars? I thought we were supposed to be able to shoot stuff like this down by now...
The noon news today on the radio reported the navy is planning to shoot it down with a missle from a missile cruiser. I am guessing it goes down in the pacific somewhere far from human beings.

should be a good test of the missile system too.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2008, 10:29:05 AM »
what ever happened to project star wars? I thought we were supposed to be able to shoot stuff like this down by now...
The noon news today on the radio reported the navy is planning to shoot it down with a missle from a missile cruiser. I am guessing it goes down in the pacific somewhere far from human beings.

should be a good test of the missile system too.

Of course, we'll only hear about the one that hits it.

Can be like miss, miss, miss, miss, "Goddamit, are you even aiming?" "Yes, sir!" miss HIT...

And the news will be "Successful missile hit on satellite..."  cheesy

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Broken Satellite Will Be Shot Down
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/14/national/w085806S80.DTL&tsp=1
02-14) 12:42 PST WASHINGTON, (AP) --

President Bush has ordered the Pentagon to use a Navy missile to attempt to destroy a broken U.S. spy satellite  and thereby minimize the risk to humans from its toxic fuel  by intercepting it just before it re-enters the atmosphere, officials said Thursday.

The effort  the first of its kind  will be undertaken because of the potential that people in the area where the satellite would otherwise crash could be harmed, the officials said.

Deputy National Security Adviser James Jeffrey, briefing reporters at the Pentagon, did not say when the attempted intercept would be conducted, but the satellite is expected to hit Earth during the first week of March.

"This is all about trying to reduce the danger to human beings," Jeffrey said.

Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at the same briefing that the "window of opportunity" for such a shootdown, presumably to be launched from a Navy ship, will open in the next three or four days and last for seven or eight days. He did not say whether the Pentagon has decided on an exact launch date.

Cartwright said this will be an unprecedented effort; he would not say exactly what are the odds of success.

"This is the first time we've used a tactical missile to engage a spacecraft," Cartwright said.

After extensive study and analysis, U.S. officials came to the conclusion that, "we're better off taking the attempt than not," Cartwright said.

He said a Navy missile known as Standard Missile 3 would be fired in an attempt to intercept the satellite just prior to it re-entering Earth's atmosphere. It would be "next to impossible" to hit the satellite after that because of atmospheric disturbances, Cartwright said.

A second goal, he said, is to directly hit the fuel tank in order to minimize the amount of fuel that returns to Earth.

Software associated with the Standard Missile 3 has been modified to enhance the chances of the missile's sensors recognizing that the satellite is its target; he noted that the missile's designed mission is to shoot down ballistic missiles, not satellites. Other officials said the missile's maximum range, while a classified figure, is not great enough to hit a satellite operating in normal orbits.

"It's a one-time deal," Cartwright said when asked whether the modified Standard Missile 3 should be considered a new U.S. anti-satellite weapon technology.

Cartwright also said that if an initial shootdown attempt fails, a decision will be made whether to take a second shot.

Jeffrey said members of Congress were briefed on the plan earlier Thursday and that diplomatic notifications to other countries would be made before the end of the day.

Shooting down a satellite is particularly sensitive because of the controversy surrounding China's anti-satellite test last year, when Beijing shot down one of its defunct weather satellites, drawing immediate criticism from the U.S. and other countries.

A key concern at that time was the debris created by Chinese satellite's destruction  and that will also be a focus now, as the U.S. determines exactly when and under what circumstances to shoot down its errant satellite.

The military will have to choose a time and a location that will avoid to the greatest degree any damage to other satellites in the sky. Also, there is the possibility that large pieces could remain, and either stay in orbit where they can collide with other satellites or possibly fall to Earth.

It is not known where the satellite will hit. But officials familiar with the situation say about half of the 5,000-pound spacecraft is expected to survive its blazing descent through the atmosphere and will scatter debris  some of it potentially hazardous  over several hundred miles. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

The satellite is outfitted with thrusters  small engines used to position it in space. They contain the toxic rocket fuel hydrazine, which can cause harm to anyone who contacts it. Officials have said there is about 1,000 pounds of propellent on the satellite.

Known by its military designation US 193, the satellite was launched in December 2006. It lost power and its central computer failed almost immediately afterward, leaving it uncontrollable. It carried a sophisticated and secret imaging sensor.

(This version CORRECTS Recasts lead; corrects spelling of Jeffrey in grafs 2,3 and 13. SUBs 11th graf to clarify that the Standard Missile 3 is designed for use against ballistic missiles and that its range is insufficient to hit satellites operating in normal orbits.)
Fuel tank my ass.  They don't want the onboard nuclear reactor to come down in one piece.

The Viking

Re: Broken Satellite Will Be Shot Down
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »
Fireworks display of the Millenium? grin laugh

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »
In all honesty?

The Air Force has had missiles small enough to be launched from an F-15 that can strike a satellite in low earth orbit for some time now (ASM-135 ASAT). It was killed off as part of the treaty limiting anti-satellite weapons with the then Soviet Union.

The Navy probably needed some R&D work on one of their prototype ship defense missile systems, and what better way than to destroy an errant recconnaissance satellite that failed shortly after launch?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 05:12:36 PM »
Given my extensive Navy experience I'd wager 5 bucks that says they either miss or make it worse. Any takers?  laugh

Interesting note is that when didgital became all the rage and we still had analog platforms the analogs would outshoot the digital every time. Accuracy wise I mean. Let's hope they got it fixed now.  undecided
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 05:15:51 PM »
Remember, proper procedure should you see the satellite headed directly for you.

1. Bend over sharply at waist.
2. Place head firmly between knees.
3. Kiss your tookas goodbye.

Sorry, couldn't resist...  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »
The missile will be the same Standard missile the Navy has been playing with as a ballistic missile defense piece.   I find it pretty funny all the Washington crowd is saying that it does not have a radiological thermoelectric generator on there. How exactly does something without solar panels stay powered for years?  Besides any technology that may survive I'm sure they are worried about a hunk of plutonium ending up in someone's hands.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »
All I can think of is the one time in the old Tribes 2 game when I saw a transport flying waaaay high overhead, just a tiny dot.

I took a shot at it with a missile. I saw it hit, pieces and former players fly off and a big explosion as it lost power.

Then it just stayed there, instead of going down in a smoketrail.

But then it stayed there and got bigger. And bigger, with a halo of flame behind it. "Oh...OH! OH SH...!"

And a lot bigger, really fast, as I dove over a ridge in time for a tremendous smash behind me right where I'd been standing like an an idiot watching it come at me.  cheesy

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »
I hadn't realized they had developed nuclear reactors small enough to fit in satellites. cheesy

I doubt there is much danger of the hydrazine fuel reaching the ground. I expect it would burn up on re-entry as I don't think satellites are really designed for for those kind of temps.
A few years ago a whole shuttle crashed to the ground and I don't remember there being any reports of hydrazine contamination or anyone being hit in the melon by falling debris.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G