Author Topic: Heroic cop saves us from skateboarders...  (Read 6237 times)

vernal45

• friend
Re: Heroic cop saves us from skateboarders...
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »
No,  it matters. I was pointing to when this happened, because I wonder what else this officer has done that has not been taped???  That kind of behavior jus does not happen overnight.  He has been allowed to act this way.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 08:05:35 PM »
the lil angel is quoted as saying they like to get the cops mad. and thats why the video it its fun. another lil punk looks for something then whimpers and crys when he gets what he went looking for.  and then all his sisters come out to defend him. the skate park is almost visble from where the lil heros of the revolution aknowledge deliberatly breaking the law for sport

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 08:10:52 PM »
Street skateboarding in the common form is just like graffitti...art to one party and vandalism to the other, and skateboarders really need to realize that and get the hint that they are never going to be allowed to do it.

2nd offense, confiscation and returned to parent,

Parent? Skateboarding isn't an exclusively adolescent phenomenon. Adults do skateboard.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 08:20:27 PM »
i'm 50 and still like it   and getting rousted is nothin new. funny after i got to fix and pay for stuff torn up by boarders i came to view what i called getting rousted in a diferent perspective. thinking bout building a ramp  but i worry about liability. and my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »
I'm sorry, but it is very hard to respect someone who looks like a bumblebee.   grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Strings

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 08:49:47 PM »
Sorry, but many kids like "getting police angry". Unless there was something major before that video was taped, the cop STILL exposed his ass...

From memory: he asks the kids several times if they can hear him, telling them to remove their "earplugs" (I'm assuming earbud headphones). When the one replies "yeah" in a less than totally respectful tone, he goes off. Had I, as an uninvolved bystander, been passing by, I would've been calling his watch commander.

You put on the badge, you get loads of authority. But that authority comes with responsibility, and an expectation of professionalism. This particular officer did NOT meet that expectation.

"If you don't shape up... someone's gonna kill you!" is a threat against life. At no point does an officer have the right to threaten somebody's life like that...

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 09:00:57 PM »
"If you don't shape up... someone's gonna kill you!" is a threat against life. At no point does an officer have the right to threaten somebody's life like that...

was that a threat?  or a prediction of what the lil hero of the revolution can look forward to is he doesn't shape up?  in charm city its not that bad a prediction.

i know folks in certain fields can get a certain myopia but i don't see that as a threat if he said "i'll kill you " that would be a threat.

in your professional opinion  is some kids liking to get cops angry acceptable behavior?  tell you waht keep the kids name handy  we'll run it on inmate finder in a few years see how his story plays out.   what do you call a kid who goes looking for an angry response the crys when he gets it? i know what we called em

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »
Guys... Let's lighten up now...

Everyone go over to break.com, and do a search on "skateboard" and "fracture."

http://www.break.com/index/sweet-compilation-of-our-best-faceplants.html
Blog under construction

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 03:38:13 AM »
c-daddy:

Neither party acquitted itself well

Thing is, one of those parties was an adult and the other was composed of minors (AKA, "callow youths"). 

One party also wielded significant authority and was armed.

Personally, I expect better behavior from an adult and also have the expectation of better behavior from an armed agent of the state.

Officer Bumblebee could have chosen to be professional and still taught them a lesson: ticketing, arrest, etc.  Instead, he chose to swing his dick around a group of immature males.

Real tough.  Real professional.  Just what I want in a police officer.  rolleyes
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 04:33:11 AM »
"If you don't shape up... someone's gonna kill you!"

back before I quit drinking and "partying" I had been a motorcycle courier ,  I had put an expensive pair of kangaroo and kevlar gloves down while fixing something on my bike, these gloves were almost 200 bucks! a skate boarder stole them...if I had caught him he may have died because I was going to administer a surprise attack.
He is truly lucky I never saw or caught him.

Long before modern skate culture I too rode a skate board (1970's) these kids think they invented the wheel.

Some of them have a rotten confrontational attitude, I was out once walking the dog at 5 am in SF and saw a guy with a long board walking by, his long jacket made it look like he was wearing a dress so I was unintentionally staring at him, he yelled at me to "stop staring at him that I shouldn't be afraid of him"
I told him that I'm not even a little afraid of him, (at 5 am I will keep an eye on freaky people in SF) he started moving toward me in a threatening tone he started telling me "to respect him"  and he got told that you don't get respect you earn it...when he got into 25 feet my hand was on my grip of my pistol because it looked like he was going to try and brain me with his board, he never saw the gun but I think he figured out what the NRA on my hat stood for and he didn't even see a glint of fear so he finally backed off.

I think the cop was predicting his future, if you go around trying to make cops and other adults angry you might get the wrong one at the wrong time....well actually they got the wrong cop at the wrong time, he was already angry by the time the tape was rolling, what transpired before it?

The cop was out of line, but I hope he only gets a suspension not fired, from what I see he was only trying to teach disrespectful kids some manners.
I bet he has treated other people just fine, to bad there is no video tape of that to post on youtube.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Strings

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 12:06:55 PM »
Maybe it's just me: I've seen a LOT of local cops that try and trow their weight with kids, because they figure they can get away with it.

Yes, MAYBE there was more to the conflict before the tape started rolling. But it seemed to start fairly early in the conversation (the repeated "Can you hear me?" from the cop)...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »

I think the cop was predicting his future,   

True.  Still sounds rather ominous, though. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 01:55:20 PM »
Incidentally, I would have no problem with an ordinance allowing confiscation of skateboards used in places it is not allowed. The skate thugs are a problem around here as well, but I can't imagine making threats like that against anyone being a good idea for a cop. he just seems out of control, over almost nothing.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »
We need to ban skateboards.  Give people 6 months to turn them all in, and then start sending SWAT teams to break into houses to find them.

After all, skateboarding is a gateway crime.  That kid will probably grow up to be a serial parking violator, not to mention driving in the carpool lane.  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 06:53:23 PM »
its unfortunate because the vast majority of baorders a great folks. its a few guys with attitude that color folks perceptions. i know its not pc but i swear a swift shot tom the chops would serve to i9mprove a lotta kids behavior. i have a young man works for me i love like a son. and he got a pair of vice grips in the chops last year when he crossed the line. he was better served learning that lesson from mme than taking it pon the road and having a stranger hurt or kill him. hes still a great kid and he still pushes as young men do. but he knows where the line in the sand is.   and when he pushes he stands a lil further away. i do volunteer work with young knuckleheads and i make it real clear that i'm not their momma and if they treat me like they treat momma there are consequences. i try to empasis that they are not the center of the universe and that they need to expand their circle of awareness beyond that 6 inch circle with them at the center

hoppinglark

• http://www.angelfire.com/journal/slingshot70/index.html
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 03:17:06 AM »
things like this happen all the time, but I think maybe in the next 10 years things will start to get better.
Think about it, before the internet or digital video, the only people who had the resources to show this
type of stuff was 60 minutes, etc. They would go to some southern state and cruise at the speed limit,
then get pulled over for something they didn't do and have the officer on tape.

Now anyone who plans ahead can carry a camera in  their daily life and share it with the entire online community.

I hope that cop lost his job.

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »
cops got a union his job is safe