Author Topic: 2 Myspace Teens planned to shoot up the mall...  (Read 5064 times)

Tecumseh

• friend
2 Myspace Teens planned to shoot up the mall...
« on: February 23, 2008, 09:01:42 AM »
JPSO, FBI arrest 2 in connection with mall threat on MySpace

04:34 PM CST on Friday, February 22, 2008

By Janet McConnaughey / Associated Press Writer

METAIRIE -- Two suburban New Orleans teenagers were arrested Friday and booked with terrorizing for allegedly posting threats on the Internet site MySpace against a shopping mall that instituted a weekend curfew for teens.

JPSO

Cory Odenwald, 17, of River Ridge.

Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies said Joseph L. Madsen of Metairie and Cory Odenwald of River Ridge, both 17, urged violent reprisal against Clearview Mall, a popular gathering place for young people in this suburban community.

In the MySpace postings, Madsen threatened to bring guns and Odenwald said he would back him up, said Chief Deputy Tom Gorman. Odenwald "intimated that life did not mean much to him," Gorman said.

Few details were available Friday about the teens, and it was unclear whether they were friends or simply Internet acquaintances.

Sheriff Newell Normand said the postings went up earlier this week. The sheriff's office and FBI began receiving calls about them Thursday and took the threats seriously.

The teens were booked as adults at the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center. If convicted, they face a maximum penalty of up to 15 years on the state charges.

JPSO

Joseph Madsen, 17, of Metairie

Officers seized three handguns belonging to Madsen's father, which Normand said were shown in MySpace photos, when they arrested the teen at his home.

Joy Patton, spokeswoman for the mall, commended authorities for acting swiftly and said the curfew will continue. "It's our policy forever," she said.

Normand said the sheriff's office plans to install cameras at the property. Extra deputies will be stationed at the mall this weekend.

"I don't think kids today understand the power and strength of that medium (the Internet). Parents need to be a little more responsible. They need to be a little more snoopy," he said.

Normand said management of the mall, which is owned by a local partnership, has been working to heighten security for several years as large crowds of young people congregate there, especially on weekends.

He said deputies have had complaints of drug use and "13-14-15-year-olds having sex in the parking lot," adding the mall has done everything possible to cope with the problems.

"Clearview is not a playpen. Clearview is not a playground," h e said.

Mall officials said extra security guards were brought in Feb. 15 to enforce a policy first set up last summer requiring anyone age 16 or younger to be accompanied by someone who is at least 21 after 4 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Graffiti, holes punched in bathroom walls and bolts removed from chairs were among the mall's problems, but a fight in the food court on Feb. 9 was the final straw that prompted enforcement of the curfew, officials said.

Several juveniles severely beat a food court worker, mall general manager Tara Lubrano said. Clearview is one of the large malls on the east bank of Jefferson Parish. It has 44 stores as well as a movie complex.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
  Want to bet that the media leaves out the fact they are PROBABLY Christians.  Why the media bias?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: 2 Myspace Teens planned to shoot up the mall...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »
Oh, I don't know.  Maybe because they are just sick kids.  They were not out to commit mass murder for thier religion.  Are you just lacking in logic?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:44:15 AM »
  Want to bet that the media leaves out the fact they are PROBABLY Christians.  Why the media bias?

Dude...um...

WTF?

Seriously. WTF is wrong with you?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:49:59 AM »

Dude...um...

WTF?

Mohammed's little apologist...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:56:47 AM »

Dude...um...

WTF?

Nothing.  I am just wondering why there is no mention of their religion?  You know, like the Utah Mall shooting?  They made it a point to mention he was Islamic.  Guess they don't want the libtards to act as Christian apologists.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:42:38 AM »
because mass murder by Muslims is relevant.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:46:42 AM »
Perhaps because our current recent geo-political context involves Islamic (of an extremist bent of course) terrorism and thus, if the perpetrator happens to be Islamic, there may be a tie-in to larger events worth examining?

If there were a pre-existing, ongoing bout of semi-organized worldwide "Christian" terrorism then it would be a bit more relevent to mention these kids being Christian and to look for possible ties to the larger situation.

See, that's what we call "reasoning".  You should try it sometime.

Although, given they were on MySpace making threats it's just as likely they will be found to be professed nihilistic athiests as that's "cool" right now among the hipsters who want to shock their parents and "society".  rolleyes
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
Some recurring constants among suicide bombers:

Yelling "allah akbar" before blowing themselves and a bunch of civilians to pieces.

Letters home to their parents (who are often proud of them!) post-training and pre-splatter, gushing about their impending martyrdom and the glory, paradise that awaits them, blah blah blah.

Hence, you have a widespread perversion of a religion that's encouraging people to be True Believers from an angle where blowing themselves up or going on a rampage for those beliefs will get them a rewarding afterlife.

People will occasionally go crazynuts and attack a crowd. Anywhere. It will happen. It's hard to prevent.

But people who are brainwashed and indoctrinated into thinking that they'll get 72 virgins in a seven-star hotel of an afterlife for blowing themselves up in a mall, THAT we can prevent.

Hence, relevant.

(We can also prevent this teen thing if we maybe do a little checking into WHAT happens when people go off underresearched psychoactive medications cold turkey, since this never happened much before the Age of the Pill, and we can encourage the media to stop making them celebrities, but that has nothing to do with religion.)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »
Tec,

So far, the atheist/agnostics (jamisjockey and Manedwolf) and the Christians (Mike Irwin and carebear), and ilbob, who's religion I don't recall off-hand, agree that you are off your rocker. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
i had a similar worldview once and took it and myself very seriously.then i turned 15 left home and got too busy for tht kinda nonsense  but at the time i was real cool to all the other kids

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »
From Wikipedia... emphases mine:
With an estimated number of adherents that ranges between 1.5 billion[161] and 2.1 billion,[161] split into around 34,000 separate denominations, Christianity is the world's largest religion.[162] The Christian share of the world's population has stood at around 33 per cent for the last hundred years. This masks a major shift in the demographics of Christianity; large increases in the developing world have been accompanied by substantial declines in the developed world, mainly in Europe and North America.[163] On current projections, by 2050 only about one-fifth of the world's Christians will be non-Hispanic whites.[164] It is still the predominant religion in Europe, the Americas, the Philippines, and Southern Africa.[165]

So technically, whenever I mention anybody and don't specifically mention or give any clues to their religion or give any hints, they are probably Christian, at least by plurality, especially in Europe, the Americas, etc.

Sorry, I'm not usually this snarky, but, for some reason, this stuck in my craw.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 02:35:54 PM »
Rudy, the first rule of real internet debate is never use wicki (as well as the 2nd and third)

One of my oldest friends is a Trotsky clone from NYC, he was raised totally Jewish and his mom survived Auswitch...but he is stone cold atheist.

At work is a really nice Pagan girl whose parents are Christian.

So I guess in this case the brats from myspace could have had a Christian heritage, it really doesn't mean anything.

Don't invest to much into Tecumsehs postings right now, imo he is really angry about something and it is manifesting as an anti Christian thing.

Much like the modern nazi kids, their irrational hatred is based on childhood issues.
Tec has some kind of issue he is working out, I am praying God will restore him to sanity so we can again have normal conversations.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 08:50:19 AM »
Tec,

So far, the atheist/agnostics (jamisjockey and Manedwolf) and the Christians (Mike Irwin and carebear), and ilbob, who's religion I don't recall off-hand, agree that you are off your rocker. 

The majority of people I have met in my life do. Wink

Strings

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »
fistful, you can add the token pagan into that list...

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 05:31:38 PM »
Don't invest to much into Tecumsehs postings right now, imo he is really angry about something and it is manifesting as an anti Christian thing.

Much like the modern nazi kids, their irrational hatred is based on childhood issues.
Tec has some kind of issue he is working out, I am praying God will restore him to sanity so we can again have normal conversations.
  That is pretty rude to say of someone you don't know.  I could personally attack you but I choose not to.

When your god answers your prayers, be sure to drop me a line. 

atomd

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 05:57:34 PM »
WTF

atomd

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »
Nevermind....that summed it up.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 02:15:35 AM »

That is pretty rude to say of someone you don't know.  I could personally attack you but I choose not to.

Rude?  I thought it was pretty funny.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 08:32:42 AM »

Rude?  I thought it was pretty funny.

It was...

however my original response was more along the lines of

I have issues?  You are the one talking to imaginary friends about a person you argue with on the internet because he does not believe in the same imaginary friends.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 08:52:35 AM »
Which makes it funny.  I think they should have a prayer vigil for your soul.  And tell you about it in great detail.  Anything to annoy you is okay in my book.
JD

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
Which makes it funny.  I think they should have a prayer vigil for your soul.  And tell you about it in great detail.  Anything to annoy you is okay in my book.
  Well if they do, can we have WBC showup and tell everyone how god hates me?  If you all get into a fight with them that is fine, a brawl in my honor would annoy me.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 02:05:36 PM »
Ok, can we please start a single thread where everyone wishing to do so can bash Tecumseh as desired, and thus leave the rest of the threads out of it? It is amazing to me that a single (childish) poster has managed to pull down the forum to sophomoric level of debate in such short order.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 06:45:20 PM »
Tec,

The majority of people I have met in my life do. Wink

That's why you fit in here.  grin

I apologize for the reasoning crack.  That was out of line.

But

It has been getting annoying with you deliberately ignoring context just to make the snarky comments.  Your opinion is yours to have, but don't play dumb to get the non-sequiter comment in. 

You're smart enough to be witty, not childish.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."