Author Topic: Stop Loss...  (Read 5106 times)

Tecumseh

• friend
Stop Loss...
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
After a two week suspension I came back wondering what you all thought of this movie.  I think it looks like a good movie.  I was wondering what you all thought of the movie.

Here is a link to the website...

http://www.stoplossmovie.com/?gclid=CPWXspzXi5ICFQzOIgodVEeL-A

Its about a few soldiers who are forced back into military service due to the stop loss policy.  I dont like all of the actors but it looks like it will be an excellent film. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Stop Loss...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:07:42 PM »
Having been "Stop Lossed" not once, but twice during my military career, I dunno whether I care to see the movie or not.

Reading the fine print, we were very much subject to the terms of Stop Loss, so I cannot grouse too loudly about the practice - it was still an all-volunteer military prior to my retirement.  Wink

Then they threatened to recall me last year.  They still have the option, too. 

Even the folks who do just 4 years and punch out are on the hook for a short time afterwards.  It's a term of their service, that's all.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 03:12:53 AM »
Everybody signs up for at least eight years of total obligation. It's in the contract all us military types signed. I have no stomach for people whining about having to fulfill their end of the deal, and I'm not going to throw a fit when (not if, when), it happens to me.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 03:23:43 AM »
Just curious about this . . . say a guy enlists, does his regular stint of service, gets an honorable discharge, goes home, re-establishes his civilian & family life . . . and then gets recalled.

What happens if he fails a drug test, gets an "objectionable" tattoo, or something else of the sort?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:25:14 AM »
the fine print in a rotc scholarship even way back in the 70's allowed them to do the same thing at their discretion

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 03:37:44 AM »
The problem to me seems to be the same problem that got us into the subprime mortgage fiasco.  People don't read the fine print, and don't think to think about what it really means.  The contract means what they want it to mean; damn the fine print.

"The value of your house will go up so you can refinance" == "You won't get recalled so don't worry about it."
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 03:44:50 AM »
After a two week suspension I came back wondering what you all thought of this movie.  I think it looks like a good movie.  I was wondering what you all thought of the movie.

Here is a link to the website...

http://www.stoplossmovie.com/?gclid=CPWXspzXi5ICFQzOIgodVEeL-A

Its about a few soldiers who are forced back into military service due to the stop loss policy.  I dont like all of the actors but it looks like it will be an excellent film. 

Considering that a person is typically on duty for 8 years, this movie means *expletive deleted*it to me.
If you serve 4 years active duty you're subject to recall, including "stop loss" measures for 4 years.  Its in the contract and my recruiter was up front with me when I signed the bottom line.  I did 5 years active duty and three years inactive in which I was required to make sure the Marines knew where I was. 
This movie is clearly an anti-war political hack job, just like Rendition or the TV show lil bush.  I don't get my politics from Hollyweirdos who live in a fantasy world and think they can shape public opinion how they see fit through movies and tv.

And hell, stop loss is alot different than a recall.  These guys aren't even typically being released from active duty. 

Just curious about this . . . say a guy enlists, does his regular stint of service, gets an honorable discharge, goes home, re-establishes his civilian & family life . . . and then gets recalled.

What happens if he fails a drug test, gets an "objectionable" tattoo, or something else of the sort?
Considering its part of your contract, you'd likely be subject to NJP.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mfree

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 04:30:42 AM »
"Its about a few soldiers who are forced back into military service due to the stop loss policy."

No, it's about a few soldiers who are made to fulfill an obligation they signed off on when they enlisted.

Don't you read the crap you sign? Shouldn't they have?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 07:02:34 AM »
Jamis is correct.  Stop Loss is a maneuver to prevent one from separating/retiring from active duty. 

Ask me how I know.   grin

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 07:41:38 AM »
Considering that a person is typically on duty for 8 years, this movie means *expletive deleted*it to me.
I don't think you'll find that the typical contract is for eight stated years these days.

And stop loss isn't just about IRR requirements - the military can stop you from getting out beyond your eight-year contract or re-up.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 07:43:50 AM »
I don't think you'll find that the typical contract is for eight stated years these days.

And stop loss isn't just about IRR requirements - the military can stop you from getting out beyond your eight-year contract or re-up.
I don't know about that.  Is there anyone here who's signed up in the last few years that can verify it?

And in IRR they can just call you out of the blue, yank you out of your life, and say "be here now".

Stoploss and IRR are part of the contact.  Color me unsympathetic.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 10:14:05 AM »
A 4-year enlistment usually carries an IRR committment for 4 years afterwards. 

Nobody talks about it, because they were seldom called to serve during that IRR committment.

That's not Stop Loss, though.

I got Stop Lossed in my 15th year of service, and again a couple years later. 

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »
Then, even if you retire you have an IRR obligation of five years, or in my case, 10 years as I took an early retirement and that was one of the terms required for that action.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:31:34 AM »

The key to your question is the word "discharge". Once you are discharged as an enlisted man that ends your obligation. It would take an act of congress to bring you back into military service against your will.

Separation though is an entirely different deal. For enlisted personell until you serve your eight you are not discharged but separated. Meaning you still have some time left on that 8 years. (keep in mind though that if you are on active duty that stop loss can retain you past your 8 year obligation)

Retirement? Now that's an entirely different deal. For those enlisted types and non-flag officers that think they're retiring at 20 - well - not really - they're being seperated. They're essentially on retainer until they hit 30 years. I know quite a few Navy Chiefs that got called back in during the late 70's and early 80's who had retired at 20. At 30 years enlisted personell will receive discharges. There may be exceptions for E-9's. They may be treated the same as Flag Officers though I am not sure about that. I'm not sure what status Officers below the rank of O-7 retain.

Flag Officers are never actually retired/seperated/discharged and can be called back to active duty essentially until the day they die though for practical reasons once they hit mid 60's or so it probably wouldn't happen.

Officers can resign their commissions if they choose which essentially breaks their association with the military and will fall into that category of it takes an act of congress to drag them back. What happens to an Officer's retirement pay if they choose to resign their commission after retiring is anyones guess though I imagine they'd lose it. It would be unusual though for an officer to resign their commission without really good reason after retiring.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 01:09:45 PM »

"The value of your house will go up so you can refinance" == "You won't get recalled so don't worry about it."

Bingo.  But like Gewher98 said, IIR isn't the same thing as stop loss.

The video is tripe, and I figured we'd see a drastic increase in utter garbage posted this week.   rolleyes

jrfoxx

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »

Yup, that'd be my guess too.The fine print also requires you to maintin yourself, and your uniforms, to be ready to be active again at a moments notice.

jrfoxx

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 01:28:01 PM »

Yup, that'd be my guess too.The fine print also requires you to maintin yourself, and your uniforms, to be ready to be active again at a moments notice.

I don't know about that.  Is there anyone here who's signed up in the last few years that can verify it?

When I signed up for the Navy in Mach of '01, my contract (as well as my recruiters, and the people at MEPPS) made it QUITE clear that it was an 8 year contract, and stop loss could force me to be active for the full 8, and even keep me beyond the 8 if needed.Maybe its changed, or all the contracts arent the same in other branches,I couldnt say.I'll see If I still have my copy of my contract and will post the relevant section if I have it still, for referance.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »
A 4-year enlistment usually carries an IRR committment for 4 years afterwards. 

Nobody talks about it, because they were seldom called to serve during that IRR committment.

... and no one tells the new recruits crap, either. Not that it would have stopped me, nor would I have complained about it if/when it bit me, but the fact of the matter is, only the active time is trumpeted about. The only time the IRR is likely to be mentioned, if it is at all (I did read my enlistment papers more closely than most; didn't catch it), is in the hustle and bustle right before they bus your arse to boot camp. Very underhanded, but what does one expect?
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »
Sheeit.  I retired at 20 years, 2 months. I was amused to see the very last line on the second page of my DD 214 say, "Subject to recall at any time by the Secretary of the Air Force."

They sent me a notice last year letting me know they were interested in bringing me back, and I responded in kind with copies of my VA disability paperwork.  Nothing since.   grin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 03:04:38 PM »
I guess it pays to read the fine print.

Things must be different now . . . one of my cousins, considerably older than me, was drafted during the Vietnam war. Just a month before, IIRC, his 26th birthday.

Being the lucky so-and-so that he is, he got assigned to Germany.

But when he was being discharged, they wanted him to sign some sort of Reserve papers, with lots of fine print they DIDN'T want him to read. Hmmmm . . .

He dug in his heels and refused. As I heard the story, he spent the last week of his stint confined to barracks and/or on cr@p duty, but got his honorable discharge, left, and never looked back.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 03:24:18 PM »
... and no one tells the new recruits crap, either.

That's strange, when I enlisted it was pointed out very specifically to me, both orally and written. I even had to initial that I was acknowledging that my commitment was 8 years, 4 active, 4 inactive.  Even stoploss, that I could be held beyond my enlistment during time of war/conflict etc....

No sympathy and I'm unlikely to go see the movie.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 03:45:40 PM »
... and no one tells the new recruits crap, either.

That's strange, when I enlisted it was pointed out very specifically to me, both orally and written. I even had to initial that I was acknowledging that my commitment was 8 years, 4 active, 4 inactive.  Even stoploss, that I could be held beyond my enlistment during time of war/conflict etc....

No sympathy and I'm unlikely to go see the movie.

My contract (signed in '90) explicitly stated 8 total years split between inactive-reserve and active-duty, and the recruiters at the local station and MEPS both explicitly pointed it out as well.  They also informed me that my Delayed Entry Program counted as Inactive Reserve time (so, 11 months off the total, up front), and that after my 6 years active (2-year active duty extension for nuc-program schooling), I'd have 13 months left, barring a "needs of the service" extension.  Sure enough, I got my separation papers at EAOS in '97, and honorable discharge work about 13 months later.  Nothing since.

Haven't seen enough about 'Stop Loss' to decide if I'll see it or not - I just found out about it a few days ago.

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 06:23:45 PM »
anyone amiused that the guy bringing up the epic film is about as likely to encounter stop loss in his life as i am to wear high heels and makeup.  not that i don't have the legs for it mind you angel

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »
anyone amiused that the guy bringing up the epic film is about as likely to encounter stop loss in his life as i am to wear high heels and makeup.  not that i don't have the legs for it mind you angel
hee hee hee that's funny *expletive deleted*it right there
 laugh
JD

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »
hey if i shaved em i got great legs