Author Topic: Ever want to rate cops...  (Read 1451 times)

Tecumseh

• friend
Ever want to rate cops...
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »
Controversial Web Site Rating Police Officers Hits Internet

Posted: March 13th, 2008 03:45 PM PDT

CHELSEA PHUA
Sacramento Bee (California)

It's a Web site where you can tell the world how a cop has treated you, but law enforcement officials fear it could become a place for anti-cop sentiments to flourish -- or worse, a source of information that could endanger an officer's life.

RateMyCop.com, launched in late February, lists by name 140,000 police officers and sheriff's deputies from about 450 law enforcement agencies across the nation, including the Sacramento Police Department. Users can search by name or by badge number. It contains no personal addresses or phone numbers.

Rebecca Costell, co-founder of the site, said RateMyCop.com isn't anti-cop. It aims to promote greater accountability: Good cops get the praise they deserve and bad cops are exposed for their misdeeds, she said.

But providing easy access to officers' information on the Internet can pose a risk to their safety and that of their families, law enforcement officials said.

"All of our officers are very concerned when it appears that their personal information may become more publicly accessible," said Detective Mark Tyndale, vice president of the Sacramento Police Officers Association.

Law enforcement officers fear that cop-haters or criminals will smear an officer's good name with false accusations or stalk and physically harm the officer.

Tyndale said the online roster could be used to post personal information, or as a starting point to obtain it from other sites or databases.

This could lead to solicitation schemes, harassment, identity thefts or assaults, said David Mastagni, a lawyer who represents the Sacramento Police Officers Association and the Sacramento County Deputy Sheriffs' Association.

"There is no legitimate public interest of having the identity of every single police officer in California listed on the site," Mastagni said.

Police Officer Brent Meyer, SPOA's president, said the public can submit feedback to the department using its Web site. Citizens with complaints about an officer can also contact the Police Department or the city's Office of Public Safety Accountability, he said.

Co-founder Costell defended the site.

"We just want to provide an active forum where the public can work cooperatively with law enforcement and provide feedback on their service," she said.

Users are asked to rate an officer from "poor/terrible" to "exceptional/good-natured," and if the officer used authority appropriately and was fair. Users are asked if they were satisfied with the outcome of the incident.

So far, most Sacramento police officers have not been rated, but most who have received positive reviews.

One user said a Sacramento officer was exceptional and very professional, even though he issued the user a citation. One praised an officer for being an asset to the community.

Costell said her organization cares about the safety of peace officers and some of them may have misunderstood what the site is about.

In her letters to 1,000 agencies nationwide, submitted under public records acts, Costell asked for information that is already publicly available -- names or badge numbers written on a traffic ticket to identify the issuing officer.

The letters did not request information on officers who require anonymity, such as those on undercover assignments.

Users will have to register with a valid e-mail address to leave a comment, and the comments are monitored, Costell said.

Threats will be censored, and in more serious cases, reported to authorities, she said.

"People can be angry," Costell said. "But they can't make personal attacks."

Tyndale said it's naive to assume the site would not be susceptible to abuse.

"Even something that's put out there with good intention, but can be used to unfairly destroy our reputation or credibility -- we are going to do everything that we can to oppose it," Sacramento Detective Tyndale said.

Sacramento County Sheriff John McGinness said cops safeguard their privacy for good reasons -- many have been stalked by people whom they have arrested or put behind bars. Even a minor traffic citation can tick someone off, McGinness said.

"It's important for me and the system to afford some confidentiality for the officers and the sensitivity to the environment in which they work," he said.

However, a spokesman for the Peoria, Ariz., police and fire departments said nothing on the site appears to be risking peace officers' safety.

He also noted the neutral contents of the site.

"I didn't see anything that I thought was detrimental to law enforcement on the site," Mike Tellef said. "This site is nothing more than a blog."

Copyright 2008 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy

http://www.ratemycop.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Interesting.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Ever want to rate cops...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »
Why should this be controversial?

They're public servants, and as such it's completely legitimate for the public to express it's opinion about their activities.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:34:13 AM »
I like it....especially if the PD that gets the best scores for the month is awarded free practice ammo and donuts....  police
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 03:35:46 AM »
LEOs keep dossiers on regular people . . . it's only right that dossiers on THEM be made available to their employers, i.e., the people who are paying for their salaries and benefits.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:41:43 AM »
It's a Web site where you can tell the world how a cop has treated you, but law enforcement officials fear it could become a place for anti-cop sentiments to flourish -- or worse, a source of information that could endanger an officer's life.

why would they fear it, unless they've suddenly realized how poorly they are treating people.

we're lucky to be in a small town. we still have the andy griffith type around here.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 06:24:30 AM »
real useful place   here a rating from john q public
"A true donut eater if there ever was one."
gonna end up being a blog for losers and whiners

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:39:46 AM »
Some of the trucks I used to drive had "How am I driving" on the back, along with an 800 number. There are lot of people who look down on truck drivers (figuratively speaking cheesy) but most of them won't call unless the driver is and @$$hole.

I expect it will be similar with this deal.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:43:59 AM »
anyone register? i did its only for depts that chose to participate. in other words the ones that use it don't need to and the ones that won't very likely do.  heck lots of dsepts have their own websites that do more. my town they have baseball cards with the cops pictures and some info available to the public. its a weak gimmick  if the site makes them some money more power to em but for anything else its less than a hand job.