Author Topic: Italian Seismologists Charged With Manslaughter for Not Predicting 2009 Quake  (Read 1329 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/27/italian-scientist-charged-manslaughter-failing-predict-earthquake/

V is for vendetta.  There is something more to this than meets the eye.  I don't know how any jury of intelligence could convict them if they go to trial.

Judge Giuseppe Romano Gargarella said that the seven defendants had supplied "imprecise, incomplete and contradictory information," in a press conference following a meeting held by the committee 6 days before the quake, reported the Italian daily Corriere della Sera

In doing so, they "thwarted the activities designed to protect the public," the judge said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/27/italian-scientist-charged-manslaughter-failing-predict-earthquake/#ixzz1NZa7Lj7D
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
You expect me to believe there's any place with worse laws than California?   [tinfoil]

Seriously, this is beyond bizarre.  I am aware that there are geologists who are trying real hard to discover how to understand and even predict earthquakes and other tectonic events, but I have never heard of any research that would allow one to predict the next 'quake to the point I would think they ought to be brought into a court and prosecuted if they failed to do it right.
Even whipping them with soggy linguini is going too far.
This stinks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:46:04 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Italian justice seems to have a higher proclivity for "going full-retard" than most other first world Western nations.  =|

Like the whole situation with that American student Amanda Knoxx's trial for murder, her prosecutor wound up on some sort of misconduct charges, however they wouldn't review her case etc.

Here in the U.S. a prosecutor goes down... and they practically have to just throw the prison doors open...
I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
Italian justice seems to have a higher proclivity for "going full-retard" than most other first world Western nations.  =|

That's an understatement.  I'm starting to think that Italy didn't make it into the 21st century with the rest of us, and is stuck somewhere around the 16th...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
Next week Italian authorities are going to descend on hospitals and medical schools to arrest all the doctors who haven't found a cure for cancer, the common cold, and AIDS.

They're currently building cells for the weather forecasters who keep making mistakes . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I hereby predict disasters everywhere, for all time.

<whew!>  There.  I'm off the hook.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Azrael256

• friend
I'm starting to think that Italy didn't make it into the 21st century with the rest of us, and is stuck somewhere around the 16th...

Seriously, I'm expecting them to burn him at the stake for this.  They'll be having witch trials next week.

wacki

• friend
I don't know how any jury of intelligence could convict them if they go to trial.

It's Italy.  Given their history, I wouldn't be too surprised.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
It's Italy.  Given their history, I wouldn't be too surprised.

Touche
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.