Author Topic: Advice from an Old Man to a Young Man...  (Read 2300 times)

Tecumseh

• friend
Advice from an Old Man to a Young Man...
« on: March 21, 2007, 06:47:53 PM »
Advice to Young Men from an Old Man

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2007-02-15, 9:08AM PST

Advice to Young Men from an Old Man
1. Dont pick on the weak. Its immoral. Dont antagonize the strong without cause, its stupid.
2. Dont hate women. Its a waste of time
3. Invest in yourself. Material things come to those that have self actualized.
4. Get in a fistfight, even if you are going to lose.
5. As a former Marine, take it from me. Dont join the military, unless you want to risk getting your balls blown off to secure other peoples economic or political interests.
6. If something has a direct benefit to an individual or a class of people, and a theoretical, abstract, or amorphous benefit to everybody else, realize that the proponents intentions are to benefit the former, not the latter, no matter what bullshit they try to feed you.
7. Dont be a Republican. They are self-dealing crooks with no sense of honor or patriotism to their fellow citizens. If you must be a Republican, dont be a conservative. They are whining, bitching, complaining, simple-minded self-righteous idiots who think theyre perpetual victims. Listen to talk radio for a while, youll see what I mean.
8. Dont take proffered advice without a critical analysis. 90% of all advice is intended to benefit the proponent, not the recipient. Actually, the number is probably closer to 97%, but I dont want to come off as cynical.
9. Youll spend your entire life listening to people tell you how much you owe them. You dont owe the vast majority of people *expletive deleted*it.
10. Dont undermine your fellow young men. Mentor the young men that come after you. Society recognizes that you have the potential to be the most power force in society. It scares them. Society does not find young men sympathetic. They are afraid of you, both individually and collectively. Law enforcements primary purpose is to suppress you.
11. As a young man, youre on your own. Society divides and conquers. Unlike women who have advocates looking out for them (NOW, Womens Study Departments, government, non-profit organizations, political advocacy groups) almost no one is looking out for you.
12. Young men provide the genius and muscle by which our society thrives. Look at the Silicone Valley. By in large, it was not old men or women that created the revolution we live. Realize that society steals your contributions, secures it with our intellectual property laws, and then takes credit and the rewards where none is due.
13. Know that few people have your best interests at heart. Your mother does. Your father probably does (if he stuck around). Your siblings are on your side. Everybody else worries about themselves.
14. Dont be afraid to tell people to *expletive deleted*ck off when need be. It is an important skill to acquire. As they say, speak your piece, even if your voice shakes.
15. Acquire empathy, good interpersonal skills, and confidence. Learn to read body language and non-verbal communication. Dont just concentrate on your vocational or technical skills, or youll find your wife *expletive deleted*ing somebody else.
16. Keep fit.
17. Dont speak ill of your wife/girlfriend. Back her up against the world, even if shes wrong. She should know that you have her back. When she needs your help, give it. She should know that youll take her part.
18. Dont cheat on your wife/girlfriend. If you must cheat, dont humiliate her. Dont risk having your transgressions come back to her or her friends. Dont do it where you live. Dont do it with people in your social circle. Dont *expletive deleted*it in your own back yard.
19. If your girlfriend doesnt make you feel good about yourself and bring joy to your life, fire her. Thats what girlfriends are for.
20. Dont bother with emotional affairs. They are just a vehicle for women to flirt and have someone make them feel good about themselves. Thats the part of a relationship they want. For you it is a lot of work and investment in time. If they are having an emotional affair with you, theyre probably *expletive deleted*ing someone else.
21. Becoming a womans friend and confidant is not going to get you into an intimate relationship. If you havent gotten the girl within a reasonably short period of time, chances are you wont ever get her. Shell end up confiding to you about the sexual adventures shes having with someone else.
22. Have and nurture friendships with women.
23. Realize that love is a numbers game. Guys fall in love easily. Youre going to see some girl and feel like youll die if you dont get her. If she rejects you, move on to the next one. Its her loss.
24. Dont be an internet troll. Got out and live life. There is not a cadre of beautiful women advertising on Craigslist to have NSA sex with you. Beautiful women dont need to advertise. The websites that advertise with attractive womens photos and claims of loneliness are baloney. All they want is your money and your personal information so that they can market to you. The posts on Craigslist by young women seeking NSA sex, and asking for a picture are just a bunch of gay troll pic collectors. This is especially true if the post uses common gay lexicon like hole as in *expletive deleted*ck my hole or seeks masculine men, or uses the word cock (except in the context of Dont send a cock shot.) There are women on Craigslist. They are easily recognizable by their 2-5 paragraph postings. Most are in their 30's or older.
25. When you become a man in full, know that people will get in your way. People who are attracted to you will somehow manage to step in your path. Gay guys will give you the look. Old people will somehow stumble in front of you at the worst time. Dont get frustrated. Just step aside and go about your business. Know that these are passive aggressive methods to get you to acknowledge their existence.
26. Dont gay bash. Dont mentally or physically abuse people because of who they are, or how they present themselves. Its none of your business to try to intimidate people into conformity.
27. If your gay, admit it to yourself, your parents, your friends and society at large. Be prepared to get harassed. See rule 14. If someone threatens you or assaults you, call the cops. Have them arrested. You have no obligation to self sacrifice because of who you are. As a gay person, youll have more social freedom than straight men. Use it to protect yourself. Be prepared to get out of Dodge if your orientation makes your life unbearable. Move to San Francisco, New York, Atlanta, or New Orleans. Youll find a welcoming community there.
28. Dont be a poser. Avoid being one of those dudes who puts a surfboard on top of their car, but never surfs, or a dude with a powder coated fixed gear bike and a messenger bag, but was never a messenger. Live the life. Earn your bona fides.
29. Dont believe the crap about the patriarchy. More women are accepted and attend college. More degrees are awarded to women than men. Women outlive men. More men commit suicide. Men are twice as likely to be victims of violence, including murder. If you consider sexual assaults in prisons, twice as many men are raped as women (society thinks prison rape is funny). The streets are littered with homeless men, sprinkled with a few homeless women. Statically, women are happier than men. The myth that girls are being cheated by are educational system is belied by the fact that schools are bastions of femininity, mostly run by and taught by women. Girls outperform boys in school. It is the boys in school getting *expletive deleted*ed over, and prescribed ritalin for being boys. Real wages for men are falling, while real wages for women are rising. Just because someone says something enough times, doesnt make it true. You have nothing to feel guilty about.
30. Remember, 97% of all advice is worthless. Take what you can use, and trash the rest.

vicioustwist
san francisco
02-15-07

Link to Article]http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/279126743.html]Link to Article

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Advice from an Old Man to a Young Man...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:17:11 PM »
It's hard to appear wise when you can't spell three letter words correctly.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 07:32:34 PM »
31. Don't write a rambling ten-thousand word essay full of inconsistent values and spelling errors when five quotes from The Bible and The Bard would have made the same points in a coherent manner.
32. Keep the profanity to a minimum.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 07:33:56 PM »
HTG: you think & you post well.  "I respect you."

But this post is the most honest diatribe I've ever read on APS.
Zeke

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »
Azreal: firm critique.

Does it ever bother you that your name comes from The Smurfs and a bad SNL skit?
Zeke

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:40:42 PM »
No, not really.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:37:13 PM »
It's hard to appear wise when you can't spell three letter words correctly.

Wisdom does not come from books but experience.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »
Polonius Advice to Laertes,
Hamlet I, iii, 59-80
Give thy thoughts no tongue,
Nor any unproportioned thought his act.
Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatchd, unfledged comrade.
Beware Of entrance to a quarrel, but being in,
Beart that the opposed may beware of thee.
Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each mans censure, but reserve thy judgment.
Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not expressd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous chief in that.
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine ownself be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »
31. Don't write a rambling ten-thousand word essay full of inconsistent values and spelling errors when five quotes from The Bible and The Bard would have made the same points in a coherent manner.
32. Keep the profanity to a minimum.

And what 5 quotes would this be?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 11:17:29 PM »
6. If something has a direct benefit to an individual or a class of people, and a theoretical, abstract, or amorphous benefit to everybody else, realize that the proponents intentions are to benefit the former, not the latter, no matter what bullshit they try to feed you.

"investing" in illegal alien children, sounds like this....but this number 6 is a very conservative thought and this so called old Marine says thats bad.

If he is an old Marine then I am an old PHD with a degree in English and a rocket scientist.

PS overall it is a bunch of bovine excrement
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 02:41:08 AM »
4. Get in a fistfight, even if you are going to lose.

No, thank you.  Violence is a very serious thing, to be used only in the most dire of circumstances.  Drop the neanderthal macho attitude.  Completely and permanently.  It's perhaps the best thing a man can do for himself.

Dont *expletive deleted*it in your own back yard.

No need.  I have three dogs.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 02:59:08 AM »
http://vicioustwist.com/

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=32972584
    vicioustwist's Interests
General   Surfing Nor*Cal, writing, urban assault cycling in San Francisco.
Television   Kill your television!
Heroes   I'm not into hero worship.

vicioustwist's Details
Orientation:   Straight
Hometown:   Los Angeles, CA
Religion:   Catholic
Zodiac Sign:   Virgo
Smoke / Drink:   No / Yes
Children:   Proud parent
Education:   Grad / professional school
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 06:53:09 AM »
PS overall it is a bunch of bovine excrement

Amen.  I'm sorry I read part of it.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 06:59:02 AM »
I'll add that to my "List of books I never finished".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 07:16:17 AM »
Wisdom does not come from books but experience.

And that rambling diatribe comes from a lack thereof...

Brad

p.s. - Three, seven, and nine are directly contradictory.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 07:28:26 AM »
But Brad if you pay attention to number 30 that states 97% of all advice is worthless then the rest don't matter.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 08:39:55 AM »
"There's no fool like an old fool."
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »

But Brad if you pay attention to number 30 that states 97% of all advice is worthless then the rest don't matter.

...and 93.228 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.  grin

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 11:05:24 AM »
Curiosity got the better of me.....stupid me....and I read further.
18. Dont cheat on your wife/girlfriend. If you must cheat, dont humiliate her. Dont risk having your transgressions come back to her or her friends. Dont do it where you live. Dont do it with people in your social circle. Dont *expletive deleted*it in your own back yard

What a bit of drivel that is!  Noone "must" cheat.  Girlfriends can be dumped.  If one wants to violate thier legal obligation as a marital partner, there is such a thing called DIVORCE.

Quite frankly, if someone gave me any of the advice in this ridiculous diatribe I'd probably laugh at them.  The entire thing is a joke.  Its full of bad advice. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »

Its full of bad advice.

It's full of something, but "advice" was not the first word that came to mind...

Brad
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 11:40:51 AM »
*snicker*

I can't decide which is funnier: the unbelievability of its supposed authorship or the blatant self-contradictory nature of the rant.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 12:08:05 PM »
Sometimes Old Pharts give good advice, even when the listener doesn't quite get it.

I was once asked how it was that I retired at a rather young age.  I explained that an old real estate guy had told me, "Get a lot while you're young."

I misunderstood him, and bought real estate.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 12:53:06 PM »
I like No. 30. I wonder what the author would think of me taking that bit of advice and applying it to his tirade? police Of course, he probably thinks his advice is beneficial and thus exempt from applying that percentage to his so-called advice.
Andy