Author Topic: Biting dog + my infant's butt = 2nd chance???  (Read 4604 times)

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
Biting dog + my infant's butt = 2nd chance???
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 07:00:03 AM »
My $0.02:

You are right and your dad is wrong.  I agree with the previous post which says that for now your dad cannot be trusted on this.  You and he need to talk man-to-man ASAP.  I fear that were I in your shoes I wouldn't have exhibited the restraint you have so far.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 07:10:12 AM »
Keep the dog and the baby seperate.  

As for small dogs that are good around children, I'd suggest bulldogs and boston terriers(they're part bull).  They're not micro sized, but aren't big either.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 10:21:51 AM »
I am certainly no expert in this field, but since when is the size of the dog an indicator as to whether they will bite?  We have a small dog that is very docile around our child, though he would be gone in a second if he ever acted aggressively towards any child.  Frankly, I am careful when any dog is around my daughter and do not make assumptions based upon the breed.  I'd rather be safe, then sorry.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2006, 10:43:01 AM »
I don't think folks are suggesting that people be lax when around big dogs, but maybe that small dogs have a nature more in line with those worries. I've been around dogs a lot and a very good rule of thumbf for me is that the smaller dogs are the more aggressive, jumpy ones. This isn't steadfast truth, it's just way more common in my experience.

Our 250 # english mastiff is outstanding with kids. If a baby is crying, he'll go to the crib and circle it until someone comes. He'll let the little ones climb and wrestle all over him without returning even the slightest force or agitation. If I'm playing around with him though, he'll return and bit more and 'rough house'.  

I've only rarely met small dogs with a good temperment, that didn't bristle up and bark at everything that moved. That infernal yapping would be enough to make me take a return trip to the pound.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2006, 11:47:53 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Take a cue from Yeager, and have the dog euthanized (without your parent's permission). THAT will teach it!
In response to:

Personally, I would put down any animal of mine that went after a child like that, but thats just me.
Reading comprehension, for the win!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 04:52:46 PM »
Mongo,

As far as APS is concerned, I think "What the fot!" is now a legitimate expression.    cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 03:23:08 AM »
I guess I have had the opposite experience.  With the exception of my grandmother's yappy poodle, most small dogs I have been around have been pretty decent.  OTOH, the large dogs were aggressive and nasty.  As for barking, there are 2 golden retreivers (one across the street, another behind me) that will bark all day long.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 11:30:37 AM »
I read this today and laughed...

"The owners of a small dog killed by an 11-foot Burmese python were awarded $1,300 in the death of their pet."

If you care, but the line above says it all...
http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2006/05/09/owners_get_1300_in_dogs_python_death/
One day at a time.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2006, 11:36:12 AM »
What caliber for Pythons?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 12:15:41 PM »
If the dog chased and bit the child once there is an established risk of it happening again, no matter what else has transpired in-between. Either the dog stays securely locked away while the child visits, or the child doesn't visit. Real simple. And something you should establish as a zero-tolerance issue (as much as I hate to use the term, it is directly applicable here).

Let them know that you will not - as in never - put your child in a situation where the risk of lasting bodily and emotional harm has been firmly established. They have a choice of whom they like more, the dog or their grandchild, and that when one is present the other shall not be.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB