Author Topic: 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4  (Read 9483 times)

Sparky

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:20:50 PM »
First off the tranny on the truck went. Lost reverse,tried to drive home and then the other gears went. The tranny is now locked in reverse. If not sold I will have it repaired for $350 for another tranny and $300 labor. I hit the brakes hard and blew a brake line to the rear. This has that ABS system. Soo ,Can I bypass it?? Unplug the brake module controller??  I plan on changing both brake lines (front & rear) as they're pretty rusty. The Chilton manual says I need 2 special tools to reset plus someone to read and reset the codes. Too many problems for me. I'm 74 and can't do this stuff anymore. I can replace the lines and bleed though. So a little info on disabling the ABS system would help. It's been sitting for 2 weeks now and the battery is dead. I recharged it and when I touched the neg lead to the post it sparked slightly??? Is this due to the alarm system?? Or do I have a short somewhere??  I do have electrical and electronic knowledge so I'm stumped. Not sure if the diodes in the alternator would allow feedback,if weak??? A clue here would help. Thanks guys, Fred [ar15]

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
First, Welcome!!!  New guy buys the booze and ammo, however since you're looking at major truck repairs, I'll give you a pass for now.

I know that on some cars disabling the ABS disables the brakes or makes them harder to use.  Either way, I don't like screwing around the system that I need to be as close to 100% reliable as I can make it.  If you can get the Trans repaired for $650, did you get an estimate on the brakes?  Any competent shop should be able to do both.

Or if you have other transportation available, maybe sell it, or part it out, or give to that kid down the street to tinker on and see if he can get it running again.

I know there's a couple of folks here that do some of their own repairs (I quit when they made everything into a damn computer), perhaps they'll be along soon to offer their advice or condolences.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:34:03 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:27:12 AM »
I know there's a couple of folks here that do some of their own repairs (I quit when they made everything into a damn computer), perhaps they'll be along soon to offer their advice or condolences.

Hell man, that's when things got easier to work on.  All automanaged, no tuning, just test the sensors and actuators.  Half the time the self diag will even tell you where to start.

Anyway, howdy new guy.  What brings you here?

You might have something draining that battery.  An amp meter between one post of the battery and it's cable would be telling.

Not sure what the ABS system has to do with you blowing a line?  Reguardless, you need to replace that line.  I had to do one on my F250.  Not a fun job, hard on the back - and I'm a young fella.

Of course, with that repair PLUS transmission work, on something that's 17 years old... You might be out more money then it's worth unless you can find some buddies that can help out with the labor.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:40:45 AM »
Hi, Sparky.

Troubleshooting that stuff is beyond my level, I'm afraid.  But welcome to APS.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:04:34 AM »
My experience is with GM trucks (S-10 platform and full size vans, trucks, and SUVs). The ABS system seems particuarly failure prone on these vehicles (every single one eventually went wonky) so we did disable it on every one as ABS isn't a cheap fix on GMs. On the GMs, disabling ABS (whether you unhook it or the car's computer itself disables it) simply means you loose ABS, the regular brakes still work very fine and for me have been very reliable...I'm wondering if you have actually lost ABS and NEED to have it bypassed or if once the lines are replaced the systems can be reset and back to normal.

As far as your electrical trouble, remember that the battery is still usually keeping power to the car's computer and radio system to maintain those memories, so eventually a hooked up battery will go dead for those reasons even if nothing else (age, corrosion, wiring/cables breaking down) is an issue. I've seen bad battery cables, weak batteries and alternators going bad causing issues, too, so tracing that down is always fun. I've never really had a vehicle set for more than a week, so I don't know how long it'd take for a good battery with good cables, etc to go dead due to computer/radio memory drain.

I think your vehicle is old enough that OBDII diagnostics do not apply (so the cheap scanners at the autoparts store will likely not work). There may be a procedure for Fords involving reading the computer codes with a paper clip like you can the older GMs. The repair manual might have more details, I don't know.

That's a hell of a deal on getting transmissions worked on, I'd say.

I can tell you that while I did not have any problems with early to mid '90s GM automatic transmissions, late '90s and newer have been...problematic for us due to the amount of electronics in them not being tolerant of heat. Adding transmission cooler(s) and changing the fluid on a 40k mile basis has added greatly to reliability.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:30:07 AM »
Sparky, Scout26 pointed out to folks that a new member had signed up, but hadn't been welcomed.

Frankly, I looked at the title of your post, didn't think I could help, and didn't look at your name.

So, welcome to the forum! As for the truck thing, I don't know anything about 4x4's, but good luck. ;)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:42:49 AM »
On a 17+ year old vehicle it is time to do a cost analysis before dumping a whole lot of $$$ and time in to it. If you end up spending $2k to repair a truck worth $1.5k you're going the wrong way.
My current daily driver is a '92 Jeep Cherokee with 245K miles on it. I've got about. $750 repair cut off on it. If it breaks and it will cost more than that I'll sell it for parts or scrap.

If you are determined to fix it there are tons of tech resources online, Google can be your best friend.
As to the brake line, if you're talking about the rubber line close to the wheel just replace it and bleed the system.

The tranny is probably toast and in need of a total rebuild or replacement. Easiest is to find one in a salvage yard but it can be hard to be sure you're getting a good one unless you know the yard or really know your stuff.  Automatic transmissions are the work of the devil.

Good luck.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:01:30 AM »
Automatic transmissions are the work of the devil.

QFT.

If your car has an Automatic Transmission, you are not driving, you are just steering.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:41:15 AM »
Welcome to APS Sparky! Lot of good folks here.
Good luck with the repairs. I'm a Dodge girl and extent of my knowledge is tune-ups and other simple stuff anyway.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »
Yeah, all I know is full size GM pickups and then it has to be about 1990 or older.

Welcome.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »
First off the tranny on the truck went. Lost reverse,tried to drive home and then the other gears went. The tranny is now locked in reverse. If not sold I will have it repaired for $350 for another tranny and $300 labor.
I'd say you got this one nailed.

I hit the brakes hard and blew a brake line to the rear. This has that ABS system. Soo ,Can I bypass it?? Unplug the brake module controller??  I plan on changing both brake lines (front & rear) as they're pretty rusty. The Chilton manual says I need 2 special tools to reset plus someone to read and reset the codes. Too many problems for me. I'm 74 and can't do this stuff anymore. I can replace the lines and bleed though. So a little info on disabling the ABS system would help.
What's to reset? The brake warning light? I'm not a Ford guy, but the Volvo, GM, and Toyota systems I do know reset themselves once you get pressure.

It's been sitting for 2 weeks now and the battery is dead. I recharged it and when I touched the neg lead to the post it sparked slightly??? Is this due to the alarm system?? Or do I have a short somewhere??  I do have electrical and electronic knowledge so I'm stumped. Not sure if the diodes in the alternator would allow feedback,if weak??? A clue here would help. Thanks guys, Fred [ar15]
Probably a combination of an old battery and normal drains like radio, alarm, and other electronic junk. That's the least of your problems.

I'd take a look at what else is ailing the beast, figure out what needs to be done to make it safely drivable, total up the money, then see what I can get for that amount.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
Yeah, all I know is full size GM pickups and then it has to be about 1990 or older.

Welcome.  =)
73-87? Then you're an OOBS guy. Me, I'm 88-98, which makes it OBS.  That's Old-Old Body Style and just plain Old Body Style. Don'tcha love abbreviations?  =D
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
I'm a Dodge girl . . . .

OMG!!  Say it isn't so!!   :'(

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
Sparky, sorry to hear about your truck troubles.  Don't know much about those, unfortunately, but as others have pointed out, it may be time to take a closer look at the value of the truck vs. the cost of the repair.  If you happen to be friendly with a repair shop, you might check with a couple of the mechanic types there to see if they do side work, there's usually a double discount there, you're not paying the shop overhead, and they may just kick in a cash discount...

But in the meantime, welcome to our little corner of the intertubes.  Take a look around, ignore Fistful (or you could just blame him for your truck troubles), and hopefully someone who knows a little more about these things might be able to help you out a little more.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »
Detcord.

And Welcome.
One day at a time.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:47:50 PM »
If the blown brake line is a result of a malfunctioning ABS I'll eat my hat.
Replace the brake line, bleed.
Flush all brake fluid while you're at it.  Maybe a quart.

The ABS system is designed to regulate and release pressure when a wheel locks up.  Not to increase pressure.  So if a line burst (my guess is it wore through, as did a few on the various circa Rangers I've owned) replace it.

Transmisson - many many vehicles reside in the nearest graveyard.  The transmissions may even be removed and stacked by make/model.  The ford/mazda transmissions at my local junkyard are in the schoolbus behind the office.
7-11 was a part time job.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
I don't know about Fords, but on GM and Subaru you can disable the ABS by removing a fuse.  The ABS warning light will go on and you will have normal brakes.  (I have a Ford Focus now, but haven't tried disabling the ABS yet.)  Ford should have a fuse too for the ABS actuators or solenoid or whatever they use -- everything except maybe the starter needs a fuse or a fusible link in the cable.

I hate ABS in the winter on icy roads.  When I step on the brakes, I want to stop dammit, and it's OK if I end up a little bit sideways to do it.  With the ABS disabled, I can stop at intersections instead of going "BR-RR-RR-RR-RB" when I step on the brake and barely ever slowing down.

Anyway, I don't know what you are talking about resetting.  I've never heard of anything like that except for resetting the Check Engine light.
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
I don't know about Fords, but on GM and Subaru you can disable the ABS by removing a fuse.  The ABS warning light will go on and you will have normal brakes.  (I have a Ford Focus now, but haven't tried disabling the ABS yet.)  Ford should have a fuse too for the ABS actuators or solenoid or whatever they use -- everything except maybe the starter needs a fuse or a fusible link in the cable.

I hate ABS in the winter on icy roads.  When I step on the brakes, I want to stop dammit, and it's OK if I end up a little bit sideways to do it.  With the ABS disabled, I can stop at intersections instead of going "BR-RR-RR-RR-RB" when I step on the brake and barely ever slowing down.

Anyway, I don't know what you are talking about resetting.  I've never heard of anything like that except for resetting the Check Engine light.

Oh dear God... THIS!

I know ABS is supposed to save your life in a freeway speed crash in rainy conditions, but the only time it ever seems to go off is in winter when trying to slow down at already slow speeds, where the ABS will just cause a fender-bender that will cost you money and aggravation, instead of just being "a little sideways" as you put it.

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:03:26 PM »
73-87? Then you're an OOBS guy. Me, I'm 88-98, which makes it OBS.  That's Old-Old Body Style and just plain Old Body Style. Don'tcha love abbreviations?  =D

Yep, except for the Suburbans that stayed mostly the same until 1991.

But then some jackass engineer decided to make the wires to the starter so damn short that you can no longer pull the main bolts and rest the starter on the front driveline while you are removing/attaching the wires.  :mad:

I need to get another 4wd and would desperately like to find a decent 3/4 ton 1975-1980.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 01:14:43 PM »
OMG!!  Say it isn't so!!   :'(

DD

Volvo, Toyota and Subaru are all mentioned here and I get tears for driving a Dodge?   ;/
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
Yikes.

First of all, who told you they'd get it done with $300 of labor?  Either that's a friend, or mechanics where you're from aren't too good at estimating.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »
Volvo, Toyota and Subaru are all mentioned here and I get tears for driving a Dodge?   ;/

Yep.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 02:12:36 PM »

Just a good old girl, never meanin' no harm....

:lol:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »

Stand proud. My '97 Dodge p/u, now my daughters, has 265K miles on it. Only major repair was replaceing the clutch assembly.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
First, replace the brake lines.  Second, completely flush the system.  A FULL flush of the system will require cycling the ABS module, which requires a special diagnostic machine.  Best thing to do is replace the lines, get them bled as well as possible, then take it to a reputable mechanic with the equipment to properly flush the entire system.  It's worth the couple bucks to get it done properly. 

As for codes, worry about getting those taken care of after you get the brakes back in good working order.

The electrical stuff... clean your battery terminals and cable ends thoroughly, replacing if necessary.  Make sure your alternator is charging properly.  It should be charging at 14-14.5 volts at a high idle.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:31:06 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB