Author Topic: I'm a cranky bitch...  (Read 1981 times)

spinr

I'm a cranky bitch...
« on: July 26, 2006, 03:03:04 AM »
At least that's what my best friend told me.

I think he's right.

I've turned into a first rate ahole, for the most part.

Back in April I had to start working 3rd shift.  12 A.M. - 8 A.M.  I had been working 4 P.M. - 12 A.M. for the past six years; which suited me just fine.  I'm a bit of a night owl, but I usually hit my limit around 4 to 5 A.M. and head off to bed.

Anyhoo, I've apparently undergone quite a change in attitude since the switch.  I've always been a generally easy-going, carefree person; I've always had a hell of temper though.  It took a lot to set me off, but one I was lit I'd be just shy of a raving lunatic.  That usually only happened in private though, I controlled it fairly well in public.

But my issue isn't really my temper.  It's just that I've passed jerk, headed for jackass.

Ever since I've been on this shift, I just feel... blah.  I don't get excited about much anymore, and I'm rarely ever happy.  I guess I mostly just tolerate life now.  

When I went into this, I researched the whole graveyard shift thing.  I read others' experiences, noted their tips & tricks.  Even got some professional medical insight on it.

I took care to make sure I got my sleep in.  I didn't have AC in my house, so I bought a couple of window units on the cheap to keep my primary living quarters cool during the day so I could sleep comfortably.  That was a big problem originally, as it was blisteringly hot during the afternoon, and I just couldn't sleep to save my life.  I'd have to wait until 6 P.M. or so, until the day cooled enough hit the bed.  The AC helped at first, but I seem to have plateaued.  

I can sleep a few hours, sleep long enough until I'm ready to get up, or linger in bed all day long; there's no difference, I still feel run-down.  There's many nights at work that I fight to stay awake.

I've tried to adjust the best I can.  I still try to live 'normally', doing the same things I did before I came to nights, but suited to the new hours.  I'm not sure what else to do.  I thought I had prepared myself.

That as it is, the issue, again, is my temperment.  My malaise has seemingly derailed my otherwise genial disposition.  I didn't really notice it until my friend mentioned it to me.  As I reflect on it, and take note of my current state, I really see it.  I asked a couple of my other closer acquaintences & coworkers about it, and they said they've noticed a difference in me.

I'm very short with most people.  The little things really piss me off.  I make a lot more smartass comments about this and that now.  I don't go out of my way to say greet anyone, I only exchange plesantries if absolutely necessary.  I care less about the effect my actions might have.

I find that I zone-out and just stare off into space quite a bit now.  And I don't know that I want to or even should admit this, but I sometimes have episodes where I just want to cry like a baby.

It sucks...

I don't necessarily want to change jobs, but I'm looking in to it.  I imagine professional help may be in order... I really don't want to do that, though.

Any insight, guys?

I feel silly laying this out here, as such.  It feels good to vent, though.

Thanks...

Robert Sears

I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 03:24:27 AM »
How much sunlight-real or artifical are you getting? Look into getting some artifical sun lamps.Studies have show that people get a lot grumpier in the wintertime due to lack of sunlight. It might help.

Bob

Stand_watie

• friend
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 03:49:38 AM »
I'm a third shifter (10 - 6 right now, and 6-6 normally) during the work week and a day shifter on my days off. Been doing it for about 12 years now. I'm fine with sleeping at night when I have the option of napping whenever I feel like it, but working days is harder for me than nights. My opinion is that some people are just wired for sleeping different times of day. It sounds to me like you're an "evening" person.

No possibility at work for moving your schedule back 3 or 4 hours?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

spinr

I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 03:50:00 AM »
Quote from: Bob41081
How much sunlight-real or artifical are you getting? Look into getting some artifical sun lamps.Studies have show that people get a lot grumpier in the wintertime due to lack of sunlight. It might help.

Bob
None, really.  Just the little bit on the way home in the morning, and a few minutes in the afternoon when I take the dogs out.  I'm asleep the rest of the time, and it's dark at work - low light inside, that is.

:/

Did I mention irrational tendencies?  Like baring ones soul on an internet message board...

In the short time it took me to get home after posting that, above, I've really begun to wonder if I should have.  I kinda' feel like an idiot now.  Like I'm wallowing in self-pity.

rolleyes

In fact, I'm thisclose to doing an Edit, Ctrl A, Del, Submit...

Convince me otherwise?

Ugh...

client32

• friend
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:06:47 AM »
I'll second the sunlight thing.

I used to be a 3rd shifter as well.  Changed my scedule where I was awake for more daylight hours, that helped.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 04:11:30 AM »
I feel your pain on the 'poster's remorse'. I usually regret most things I say.

I'd also give the artificial sun lamps a try. My dads an ER doc and would usually not see the light of day for, well, days. He had those lamps at home to compensate, believing pretty firmly in seasonal depression (getting depressed in the winter for the reasons previouslys stated).

I've also worked night jobs. They're not a lot of fun, you're really messing around with quite a lot by totally altering your body's circadian rhythm and sleep pattern. I'd personally say that it's the root of your problem.

Have any vacation time? If you could get a week or so off, to get your sleep schedule back in order, you could see what difference it would make. If it helps a lot, then you'd know you need to get out of 3rd shift.

If it's not an option, make sure you're still getting a good diet. Take vitamins. Figure out a way to regularly get more quality sleep. Make sure you're still socializing with others.

'When you have insomnia, you're never really asleep... and you're never really awake. '
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 04:29:58 AM »
Treat it just like you were going to work 8 to 4. After you get out of work in the morning don't go home and try to sleep, get errands done, get out of the house for a few hours of daylight, do laundry whatever. THEN go to bed about 2 pm and sleep till 10 or so. By 2 you should be way tired enough to drop right out. The problem is you're wired for at LEAST a couple hour after your shift so sleep is impossible. Accept that and learn to work with it. This means weekends too. The "off" times will mess you up just as the on times do. Believe it or not theres a whole 'nother world going on out there that consists of 3rd shifters who spend their after work free time hours during the early part of the day.

That's one of the reasons musicians that play in bars party all night and sleep all day. When they get out at 2 a.m. they're still so wired from working they won't be able to sleep until at least 4 a. m.

Bob Seger said it best:

"Later on that night, you lie awake in bed, with the echo from the amplifiers ringing in your head"
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 04:40:17 AM »
Embrace your crankiness.

It's worked for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

spinr

I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 04:53:52 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Embrace your crankiness.

It's worked for me.
I've noticed.  Seems to suit you quite well...

Wink

I've never really liked people much.  Maybe this is just me finally expressing those feelings.  undecided

Marnoot

• friend
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 05:24:10 AM »
Light "boxes" for this kind of thing have come quite a ways in the past few years. I'm currently using this one to deal with some delayed sleep phase stuff. I'm borrowing it from the Dr. though, as my insurance won't pony up the $250 for one unless I'm diagnosed with seasonal affect disorder. The little bank of super-bright LED's is alot easier to use than a big light box. I have it set up next to my monitor, and run it 10-15 minutes on each side of the monitor first thing in the morning. If it is a light issue for you, I'd definitely look into getting your Dr. to prescribe a light like this.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 07:00:11 AM »
"I've noticed.  Seems to suit you quite well..."

Byte me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 07:03:37 AM »
First thing I thought when I saw that title was "I don't remember posting that."

As I mentioned in another thread, when I had some physical problems last year, it changed my personality quite a bit. In my case it was my thyroid but other things can cause similar problems. Go to a doctor and rule out physical issues.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 07:57:24 AM »
Don't delete.  This is much cheaper than therapy, and unlike therapy, there are those here who will give you a kick in the tail when needed.

I did the 3rd shift thing for about 9 months a decade ago, in my early 30's.
Never could get my body used to it, used all the tricks mentioned above, just didn't work for me.  Like you, I'm at my best in a '3 to midnight' world.

Wouldn't hurt to speak with your mgr and ask if there's any lattitude for adjusting the schedule, or suggestions for dealing with it as it currently is.  At least lets them know you're willing to do the work, but struggling with the hours.

regards,
Fig

DrAmazon

• friend
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 08:48:03 AM »
I did 3rd shift for a short time.  I decided to split my sleeping so that I wouldn't miss out on the rest of the world.  I slept from 8-noon and from 6-10.  Then I had from noon to 6 to run errands, ride my bike, see my family etc.
Experiment with a chemist!

TarpleyG

• friend
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 11:17:45 AM »
On the sleep thing...do you sleep all the way through your sleep cycle once you do fall asleep?  Reason I ask is that you have a lot of symptoms common in people with sleep apnea (and no, you don't have to be a fat ass to have sleep apnea...plenty of skinny folks have it too).

Greg

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 11:21:12 AM »
And not all fat asses have sleep apnea.

I'm a fat ass and I don't have it.

SADShooter

• friend
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 11:24:57 AM »
Only because your body is too afraid of your cranky attitude.

(FTR: fat-ass with sleep apnea, here.)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 01:17:15 PM »
Fat-ass with NO sleep apnea (thanks be to G-d)

Antibubba

• friend
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 02:35:33 PM »
As 280+ said, try to run your errands in the morning, after work, before going to sleep.  I did 3rd in my last job, and I never totally adjusted to it-but then, I also have SAD.  I got an Ott light, which is full-spectrum.  One suggestion:  Ott sells replacement tubes.  Buy a lamp that the tube will fit into, because the lamps are really expensive.  Unneccessarily so-they're just desk lights.

Let's see: Go light on the alcohol, and make your bedroom as dark as possible-black out the windows if you have to.  A white noise generator blocks a lot of outside sound.  Melatonin has been known to help regulate the sleep cycle.  It works for me-YMMV.  You want to try to avoid sleeping pills if at all possible, but if you must have them, try Ambien.  The active ingredient breaks down in about 4 hours, so you don't wake up groggy.  Do NOT get the CR (extended release).  How stupid is it to market a sleeping pill based on the rapidity of it being out of your system, and then sell a version that stays with you all night and makes you groggy?

Exercise, or a good walk, when you wake up is good, too.

Oh, and working third tends to isolate us from others in our life.  Even a curmudgeon like myself missed some of the people I encountered daily.

I hope it works out-email me if you need more info.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

spinr

I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 11:13:23 PM »
Quote from: Marnoot
Light "boxes" for this kind of thing have come quite a ways in the past few years. I'm currently using this one to deal with some delayed sleep phase stuff. I'm borrowing it from the Dr. though, as my insurance won't pony up the $250 for one unless I'm diagnosed with seasonal affect disorder. The little bank of super-bright LED's is alot easier to use than a big light box. I have it set up next to my monitor, and run it 10-15 minutes on each side of the monitor first thing in the morning. If it is a light issue for you, I'd definitely look into getting your Dr. to prescribe a light like this.
You know, I've never been much of an outdoor person, but as of late when I do make it out in the sun, I've found myself lingering in the light and I think I might actually feel a little better because of it.

That little light thingy actually works, huh?  Maybe I could just stare at my SureFire E1 w/ the KL1 head a little everyday... Tongue

Quote from: TarpleyG
On the sleep thing...do you sleep all the way through your sleep cycle once you dofall asleep?  Reason I ask is that you have a lot of symptoms common in people with sleep apnea (and no, you don't have to be a fat ass to have sleep apnea...plenty of skinny folks have it too).
Greg
I've wondered whether I this might be a problem.  I don't think it is, though.  Fortunately I do tend to sleep okay.  I don't wake up much, except for when I have to whizz... but that's another issue.  The only problem I do have is that, depending on my sleeping position, my nasal passages sometimes restrict down or close off and I end up mouth breathing.  Then I wake up with cottonmouth & crusty lips in a puddle of drool.  shocked  That usually only happens when I lay on my left side.  If I position myself differently, or use something like a Breathe Right strip, it isn't a problem.

Quote from: Antibubba
Let's see: Go light on the alcohol, and make your bedroom as dark as possible-black out the windows if you have to.  A white noise generator blocks a lot of outside sound.  Melatonin has been known to help regulate the sleep cycle.  It works for me-YMMV.
I've been meaning to look into blackout curtains or some other means of eliminating the light.  I do find it easier to drift off without the sun beaming through the window at me.

Sound isn't a problem.  The house is fairly isolated for where it's at, and these mountains a usually pretty quiet.  And I've got a couple of fans running in the bedroom to circulate air, which gives me some white noise.

I've used melatonin before and it seems to make me sleep a bit more deeply.  Buuuutt, it gives me some seriously *expletive deleted*ed up dreams.  Really screwy, like a Twilight Zone episode on LSD.  They're actually kinda' fun sometimes, but some of them have left me wondering just what the hell is up with my subconcious.

Thanks for all the input peoples!  Good stuff, definately.  Quite a few things I hadn't thought about much or at all, that I need to look into.

Wink

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I'm a cranky bitch...
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 01:22:48 AM »
Really screwy, like a Twilight Zone episode on LSD.
I gotta get me some of THAT stuff!! Tongue

Another thing to try is don't have any protein in the last meal before you sleep. Just have carbs. Protein wakes you up, carbs put you to sleep. I'll bet you load up on lots of meat before you try to go to bed and get some sleep. Then there's Valerian Root, seemed to work for me. And now that I'm thinking about it I know one person that takes some Benedryl or an aspirin before they go to bed. They say it relaxes you enough so that you'll fall asleep.

One other thing, you mention "whizzing" at night. If you are getting up frequently (4-5 times) during your sleep period that IS a sign of apnea.
Avoid cliches like the plague!