Author Topic: Trump Tax Return  (Read 1683 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump Tax Return
« on: October 02, 2016, 10:26:49 AM »
This is interesting. Both from how the NYT (let's not even bother arguing their slanted reporting) received the document, then scroll down the Twitchy link to the image and checkout the numbers.

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2016/10/02/new-york-times-goes-full-harry-reid-reports-that-donald-trump-could-have-avoided-paying-tax-for-18-years/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Trump Tax Return
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 10:53:29 AM »
One page of one tax return from 20 years ago and this is a big deal?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »
One page of one tax return from 20 years ago and this is a big deal?
That and it looks like it was purposely doctored and illegally leaked.
I would be pissed if someone took private documents of mine and posted them on the internet.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »
Who wants to talk about Trumps tax returns?

What does talking about Trumps tax returns bump out of the news cycle.

Every discussion about Trumps tax returns should be used as an opportunity to talk about illegal immigration, building a wall and keeping Political Islamic terrorists out of our country.  

Simply say "that has nothing to do with the most pressing issues facing us; controlling our borders and keeping political Islamic terrorists out of our country."

I reject the establishment narrative in every political conversation I have with people, in person and online.

Accepting the narrative as worth discussion puts you on the defensive.

Ignore or mock it and reframe the issues.   
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 02:11:44 PM »

Most likely he's not releasing his taxes because his net wealth is significantly less than he likes to portray. That'd have serious financial issues as his persona/image/whatever is his largest asset. He's not a very skilled businessman or investor. This isn't a political judgment, just an assessment of his past business activities.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 02:20:42 PM »
He's not a very skilled businessman or investor. 

That should make him fit right in with the rest of the Washington clowns.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
Still didn't find anything as bad as Benghazi.
Best comment I saw near the top.   =D   Still not near as bad as 4 or 5 different skeletons in Hillary's closet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 02:29:33 PM »
Headline at Drudgereport.com.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2016/10/02/new-york-times-paid-no-taxes-2014/
The New York Times Paid No Taxes in 2014
 :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 02:31:19 PM »
Trump’s campaign said in a statement that the candidate is “a highly-skilled businessman who has a fiduciary responsibility to his business, his family and his employees to pay no more tax than legally required.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/10/02/trump-campaign-new-york-times-illegally-obtained-tax-records/#ixzz4LxD403pp

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »
Eh, I'd concur that he doesn't HAVE to pay any more taxes than required. That said, it doesn't exactly give the impression he's interested in serving the nation rather than himself. You can dodge all the taxes in the world (so long as you do it legally) and that's morally/ethically/legally ok. Doesn't mean it's exactly a good criteria for a public official.

I'd also say the same thing about offshoring manufacturing, enthusiastically bringing in foreign workers under any visa loophole possible, underpaying small businesses that can't afford to sue him to actually get paid full amount, etc. Most Trump supporters tend to be fine with that sort of thing when it's their guy doing it. "Because he knows real business, you wouldn't understand" tends to be the response. Yet they'd be furious if anyone from a different party did such things.

*shrug*

Ye fluffy bunnies this election sucks.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 07:06:11 PM »
That and it looks like it was purposely doctored and illegally leaked.

Yes, it's like the Dan Rather thing all over again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 07:18:40 PM »
It's all in the spin. Note that nowhere do they come out and say that he didn't pay income tax for 18 years -- or 15 years, or ten years, or even two years. No, they say he "could have" avoided paying taxes for 18 years. And they know damned well that 90 percent of the functional illiterates who read the story will forever believe that Trump DID NOT pay any income tax for 18 years, even though there has been NOTHING brought out to demonstrate that.

So, according to the NYT, it's horrible if Trump "might not" (but also might) have paid income tax for 18 years, but it's not a problem when the NYT didn't pay income tax (for real, not "might" or "maybe").

NYT, your hypocrisy is showing (again/still).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Calumus

• friend

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 11:42:58 PM »
Yes, it's like the Dan Rather thing all over again.

The truth is irrelevant. It's the seriousness of the allegation that is important.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »
My comment to a friend of mine regarding Trump and Taxes:

"She was a Senator and had ample opportunity to write and re-write the tax code.  Why are are you blaming him for using it as written?  Do you write off your mortgage?  Your Property Taxes?  Your Charitable Giving?   If so, you are taking advantage of those loopholes, just like Trump and hundreds if not thousands of businesses use what ever "loopholes" in the code to reduce their tax burdens..." 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 07:35:53 AM »
Eh, I'd concur that he doesn't HAVE to pay any more taxes than required. That said, it doesn't exactly give the impression he's interested in serving the nation rather than himself. You can dodge all the taxes in the world (so long as you do it legally) and that's morally/ethically/legally ok. Doesn't mean it's exactly a good criteria for a public official.

I'd also say the same thing about offshoring manufacturing, enthusiastically bringing in foreign workers under any visa loophole possible, underpaying small businesses that can't afford to sue him to actually get paid full amount, etc. Most Trump supporters tend to be fine with that sort of thing when it's their guy doing it. "Because he knows real business, you wouldn't understand" tends to be the response. Yet they'd be furious if anyone from a different party did such things.

*shrug*

Ye fluffy bunnies this election sucks.

Gigglesnort to your first paragraph. Paying more taxes than required? Since when has anyone (or at least any Republican) ever considered that to be some noble, patriotic gesture? I've never heard of that. If anything, that's Democratic politician logic, that we'd use against them, concerning their own candidates. As I said, :rofl: .

As for the second, you draw a false equivalence between hiring foreigners/off-shoring and welshing on a contract. The former is not a legal or moral problem, but a logical response to an anti-business climate at home. A climate which Trump's main opponent will only further, of course. I thought Trump was the guy proposing that we make it easier to employ Americans.  ???

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 08:00:13 AM »
We are now in almost full Banana Republic mode. One candidate is not prosecuted for clear violations of the law and the other castigated for complying with the law as a compliant media openly commits a crime to help their candidate win. This is what we are left with after the politization of our government agencies (IRS, Justice, etc.) under Obama. This is exactly how Banana Republics get one party rule and eventually dictators in name if not definition. If anything this is exactly why the only choice now is Trump and hope that he will follow through on reducing some of the power of government. To let the Dems and their allies in the MSM get away with this is intolerable.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 09:16:54 AM »
One candidate is not prosecuted for clear violations of the law and the other castigated for complying with the law...

Well, yeah, but you forgot the part where she wasn't charged, even after the head G-man himself told us in detail all the crimes she'd committed. Or at least, the email-related ones.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 09:22:15 AM »
I have much disdain for Trump.  More disdain for Hillary.
How this became a flap, is because the group I have the most disdain for: the American voter.  Both "sides" see stuff like this as stupid *expletive deleted*it that matters, or worse won't dig into it at a cerebral level to understand why it does or doesn't matter.
If anyone's ever wondered how congress critters go to Washington doing okay but not rich, but leave as millionaires?  Because they write the tax code, they set up the shelters, then they take advantage of insider information and invest ahead of the curve.
And somehow Trump is bad for using his businesses to shelter income?   :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 10:45:43 AM »

If anyone's ever wondered how congress critters go to Washington doing okay but not rich, but leave as millionaires?  Because they write the tax code, they set up the shelters, then they take advantage of insider information and invest ahead of the curve.

Exactly what I was thinking while watching indignant politicriitters attacking the Wells Fargo CEO. While it appears Wells Fargo screwed up, I was thinking that probably every person on the committee calling for the CEO to go to jail had committed multiple felonies themselves to get rich.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »
Exactly what I was thinking while watching indignant politicriitters attacking the Wells Fargo CEO. While it appears Wells Fargo screwed up, I was thinking that probably every person on the committee calling for the CEO to go to jail had committed multiple felonies themselves to get rich.

Nah they didn't break the law to get rich. They wrote the laws so they could get rich.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »

Yep, they exempted themselves.   (IIRC, Insider trading laws don't apply to them. And they have all the insider information as they make the rules for all businesses.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »
Yep, they exempted themselves.   (IIRC, Insider trading laws don't apply to them. And they have all the insider information as they make the rules for all businesses.)

They passed a law subjecting members of congress to be subject to insider trading laws, and made a big deal about it. Later on they quietly changed the law back to allow them to use insider trading information.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 08:26:44 PM »
They passed a law subjecting members of congress to be subject to insider trading laws, and made a big deal about it. Later on they quietly changed the law back to allow them to use insider trading information.

Which pisses me off to no end because I could have made a small fortune on Aerovironment stock except that I was part of a joint gov prototyping project with them and thus came under the gov ethics regs so couldn't use my knowledge for an early retirement. I would be surprised if some congressman(s) didn't make a bundle though.

Nice guys finish last.