Author Topic: More Safety, More TSA  (Read 1878 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
More Safety, More TSA
« on: October 07, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »
A Bipartisan bill is going through congress to move TSA to buses, ferries, and trains. I thought this had been quashed some years ago. I also thought a South Dakota Republican Senator would be more freedom oriented, not a Peter King clone.

Not that I use those public transportation modes, but it certainly strengthens the private car mode of transportation. Though even then, if you have to take a ferry, even private transportation is affected.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/10/07/tsa-may-start-screening-trains-buses-and-ferries.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: More Safety, More TSA
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 10:57:12 AM »
Not that I use those public transportation modes, but it certainly strengthens the private car mode of transportation. Though even then, if you have to take a ferry, even private transportation is affected.

And let's not forget that it ain't free; who's paying for a TSA presence at every small town Greyhound stop?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 12:43:34 PM »
And let's not forget that it ain't free; who's paying for a TSA presence at every small town Greyhound stop?

If it saves just one life...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »

I'm more concerned about the opportunity cost. How many MORE hours are we going to steal from the American public with these useless gestures?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
Because monitoring our emails and gun purchases isn't quite enough to make us safe.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »
I can testify personally that on a sunny Friday or holiday, the typical WSF ferry waits to cross Puget Sound are a couple of hours on up.  Many of the ferry terminals have a WSP trooper with an explosives-sniffing dog.  The trooper runs the dog up and down the line of cars prior to driving onto the ferry.  I can also say that having a trunk-full of recently-fired handguns and long guns does not trigger the dog.  Given that you can take firearms and full tanks of gas onto the ferries, I am not sure what the TSA is going to do in terms of screening, and it would sure delay the process even more.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »
They will continue to push until they succeed in both creating checkpoints at all major forms of transportation, roving checks on freeways, and checkpoints from state to state. There was only one direction the TSA could have gone after it's formation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »
They will continue to push until they succeed in both creating checkpoints at all major forms of transportation, roving checks on freeways, and checkpoints from state to state. There was only one direction the TSA could have gone after it's formation.

This.  Bureaucrats never shrink their empires.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 05:27:59 PM »
Better idea! Make a law that requires any business or building that bans ccw to have and pay for a tsa checkpoint  :police:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »

So we're fated to become more like North Korea?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 06:28:25 PM »
Yes.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 07:57:54 PM »
Suppose this goes through- will the TSA forbid guns on ferries? Currently, under WA state law, CCW is permitted.

Anyone who requires more than say 15 minutes seconds of study to figure out the detection proof vulnerabilities of the ferries needs remedial studies...

Kind of weird how the USA seems to be speeding ahead with all the accoutrements of a police state. Wonder how soon internal passports and visa will be required for travel interstate?

They are already getting set up for,or are ,monitoring car travel.  Have any of you noticed those circles cut into the pavement with a wire buried? If those things are not able to pick up a signal  ID' ing a vehicle I will be very surprised, even if the cars are not yet emitting.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 08:57:12 PM »
They are already getting set up for,or are ,monitoring car travel.  Have any of you noticed those circles cut into the pavement with a wire buried? If those things are not able to pick up a signal  ID' ing a vehicle I will be very surprised, even if the cars are not yet emitting.

Yer getting a little too tin-foily there. They're there to control stoplights. They do sense your vehicle, but all they do is sense the presence of a few tons of metal, so that the lights know when to change. They're not anywhere near sensitive enough to be able to ID individual vehicles; hell, motorcycles have a hard time tripping them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_loop
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 09:17:14 PM »
Yer getting a little too tin-foily there. They're there to control stoplights. They do sense your vehicle, but all they do is sense the presence of a few tons of metal, so that the lights know when to change. They're not anywhere near sensitive enough to be able to ID individual vehicles; hell, motorcycles have a hard time tripping them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_loop
Ya think? Around here they are in the middle of the freeway lanes, on rural back roads miles from intersections, etc. Not a stop light to be found in the vicinity.
 And they do have other sensors they put out, I stopped in the street and got the name off one a few years back, looked it up online, and yes, it was set up to do multiple observations- temp, rainfall, traffic, etc etc- it looked a lot like a oversized lane center dot.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »
Might need to loosen the tin foil hat.
Those are induction loops to trigger traffic lights or count cars.
They use induction by a big chuck of steel passing over them to achieve the result.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
Might need to loosen the tin foil hat.
Those are induction loops to trigger traffic lights or count cars.
They use induction by a big chuck of steel passing over them to achieve the result.

I realize that what an induction loop is.   But what else do they have in those grooves? If someone had told me 20 years ago there would BE a TSA , and they would be checking people at train stations, I would have told THEM they needed to loosen the hat.
 Those ID readers on the freeway  lanes and toll stations for "good to go" tolls are IDing the car- picking up a chip signal .
  I do not know the mechanics of this, or whether or not a system is in operation- but beyond any shadow of a doubt, the feds WANT to ID private vehicles on the roads. Automated license plate scanners, etc prove this, as well as the constant expansion of the surveillance apparatus.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
  I realize that what an induction loop is.   But what else do they have in those grooves? If someone had told me 20 years ago there would BE a TSA , and they would be checking people at train stations, I would have told THEM they needed to loosen the hat.
 Those ID readers on the freeway  lanes and toll stations for "good to go" tolls are IDing the car- picking up a chip signal .
  I do not know the mechanics of this, or whether or not a system is in operation- but beyond any shadow of a doubt, the feds WANT to ID private vehicles on the roads. Automated license plate scanners, etc prove this, as well as the constant expansion of the surveillance apparatus.

Most of those loops are put in my run of the mill contractors (I have done the work).
If there was other secrete stuff in there I pretty sure someone would know.
Leave you eez pass and especially your cell phone at home. Those are the easiest ones to track you with.
NYC was using the eez pass tags in the city and it got spreed to the world on youtube.
A eezpass is normally in a dormant state, it waits to to receive a signal before it starts to transmit its ID out. That why they last so many years. There was a guy that opened one up and attached a buzzer to it to see when it activated.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
Don't need secret street sensors. Ez-pass and license plate scanners have us covered. City centre London bills parking by license plate scan. Tunnels here in Virginia do the same. The Virginia wacko that shot the newslady on live TV eluded police and was reacquired by plate scan.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 10:24:12 PM »
 So it's not the tinfoil, it just I should have put on the helmet years ago =D

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: More Safety, More TSA
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 10:31:20 PM »
Better idea! Make a law that requires any business or building that bans ccw to have and pay for a tsa checkpoint  :police:
I like the cut of your jib......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.