Author Topic: Affordable Affordable Affordable Affordable... Affordable  (Read 956 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Affordable Affordable Affordable Affordable... Affordable
« on: October 08, 2016, 06:26:16 PM »
Just got the notice that my affordable health insurance is going up 13% next year with an accompanying increase in the annual deductible and max out of pocket. Thanks Obama!

I'm hoping others are getting the same notice at this same time versus after the election. Though I think the problem is that the people affected are a smaller segment of the voting populace than those who get health insurance through their employer and those who get it for free via subsidies. Kinda makes me want to tweak my income to get a subsidy and help accelerate "burn it down".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Affordable Affordable Affordable Affordable... Affordable
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 06:35:35 PM »
"burn it down" will come soon enough.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
"burn it down" will come soon enough.

What cracks me up is that the dems and progressives in general are all blaming the Republicans for failed Obamacare. While I have plenty of problems with the GOP, not one of them voted for this legislation that was passed in the middle of the night via Harry Reid. In the meantime, CA is looking to get illegals on the exchange. That should speed things up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
The big company I work at has finally ditched its last traditional health insurance plan and now runs with two flavors of HSA-thingy plans.  I will need to use a spreadsheet to figure which one is better for me.  Kinda liked the traditional one, as I could give my wife an ins card and she could take care of herself and the kids, no need to refer to a spreadsheet or look into a health savings account or whatnot.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 07:07:53 PM »
My Medicare premium will be going up by about 20%. The increase was hidden in the bill that was passed. They're going to use the increase in Medicare premiums to help fund Obamacare, or that's what they say. It will probably pay for a golfing trip to Hawaii for Obama.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »
My Medicare premium will be going up by about 20%. The increase was hidden in the bill that was passed. They're going to use the increase in Medicare premiums to help fund Obamacare, or that's what they say. It will probably pay for a golfing trip to Hawaii for Obama.

I think the "funding Obamacare" thing is a sneaky first step (if Hillary gets in) to single payer.  I read they want to start by dropping the medicare age to 55.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 08:57:16 PM »
I think the "funding Obamacare" thing is a sneaky first step (if Hillary gets in) to single payer.  I read they want to start by dropping the medicare age to 55.

Not a good idea at all. My hospital bills are still rolling in, and are now at $365,000. I expect them to top $500,000 for this year. Next year, if I do the bone marrow transplant, it will likely be more.

No insurance company can afford to have a lot of elderly patients racking up bills like that, and the country really can't afford it.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 11:20:04 PM »
Kinda makes me want to tweak my income to get a subsidy and help accelerate "burn it down".
Do it. That's what I did. It was a ten second decision, especially in a dead slow economy.

"Gee, do I take the summer off, and get under the subsidy cliff, or do I work all summer, and make enough to give every bit I make in those three months to the feds, to pay for the insurance because now I am over the subsidy limit."    It came down to working for three months, for free, or taking a three month vacation.