Author Topic: If it were an Exxon Employee...  (Read 1041 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
If it were an Exxon Employee...
« on: October 15, 2016, 10:37:05 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: If it were an Exxon Employee...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 06:57:19 AM »
Subscribe or sign in.

Screw that.

Got another link?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:39:23 AM »
We do this everytime some one links a wall street journal article.  They don't let you direct link an article.

Paste the headline into google and click the first result.  Same article, less paywall.  But I can't post a link. (unless I use LMGTFY, which seemed mean spirited)

Also, having gone through.......a lot of environmental regulation training with the EPA, it has less to do with whose employee it was and more with how much in fines they stand to collect (or not).  The EPA rarely goes after the individuals that caused something, preferring to find some way to hang it on a company with deep pockets.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 09:41:45 AM »
We do this everytime some one links a wall street journal article.  They don't let you direct link an article.

Paste the headline into google and click the first result.  Same article, less paywall.  But I can't post a link. (unless I use LMGTFY, which seemed mean spirited)

That didn't work for me this time.  The google link still had the paywall.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:44:31 AM »
Weird.  That's how I got in. (Right click->search Google for...)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »
The link I posted took me straight to the full article. You guys got a beef, take it up with the WSJ. :P

Otherwise, as Dogmush said, Google it. That takes me to the full article as well when I hit a paywall link at WSJ. Regardless, the first visible paragraph give you the gist of the topic. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »
Also, having gone through.......a lot of environmental regulation training with the EPA, it has less to do with whose employee it was and more with how much in fines they stand to collect (or not).  The EPA rarely goes after the individuals that caused something, preferring to find some way to hang it on a company with deep pockets.

Agreed. The employee is a conduit to the employer (if the pockets are large and deep).

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 11:39:36 AM »

So the EPA is going to fine the EPA? KOOL!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 12:17:13 PM »

Yes, and our taxes will pay for the EPA's lawyers, the EPA's lawyers, and the EPA's fines.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 12:25:55 PM »

More likely they will either completely ignore it (which seems to be what's happening), or find an obscure rule the mining company broke that allowed the EPA employee to open the release, then fine the mine.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 02:10:54 PM »
The link I posted took me straight to the full article. You guys got a beef, take it up with the WSJ. :P

<Segment deleted by poster>

OK, it could be forgiven if your equipment or WSJ arrangements went straight to the article and you didn't know it was blocked for others.  I'm keeping that in mind, but I'd have liked to have the full article before bitching about the EPA's or its employee's actions.

Terry
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:03:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »
It's not just the fine.   Guy won't be prosecuted much less fired for his *expletive deleted*ck-up.

Some animals are more equal than others.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »

OK, it could be forgiven if your equipment or WSJ arrangements went straight to the article and you didn't know it was blocked for others.  I'm keeping that in mind, but I'd have liked to have the full article before bitching about the EPA's or its employee's actions.

Terry

As has been stated, the way WSJ does it's paywall, simply google for the article and you get in without it.  Stupid, yes, but the way it works.

Making it so that you can get in with a direct link just won't work without creating a security violation.  I'd have to create a method to force your browser tell WSJ that it's coming from google, not aps.