Author Topic: Write-In Options on Ballots (or lack thereof)  (Read 1245 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Write-In Options on Ballots (or lack thereof)
« on: October 23, 2016, 08:37:28 PM »
So I've never paid attention before, but I just noticed my CA ballot does not give me the option of a write-in for either senator or congressman. The reason I paid attention this time is because the only two non-write-in options for CA senator this time around are both far left nutjob democrats. No Republicans or third parties made the ballot. I fully intended to write someone in, but now my only option seems to be to leave it blank.

Do any of you in other states have restrictions of where you can write someone in? Not having the option seems somewhat (or a lot) anti-freedom.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
Re: Write-In Options on Ballots (or lack thereof)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 05:28:10 AM »
Oregon has a write-in option, though I don't know if it's similar to Fistful's state where the write-in candidate has to register first.

I tend to use them just about every election, because there's always someone -- usually judges -- running unopposed, and I find voting for unopposed candidates kind of pointless. I usually write in a joke name, sometimes related to the office. Fer instance, for all of the unopposed judges last election, I wrote in the cast of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »
To be clear, CA has a write-in option, and as far as I know, candidates don't have to register to get it. It's just an "insert name here" thing. However (and again this is the first year that I noticed it) the option is only available for president and for local elections. Senate and Congress have no write-in option. For the senate, it's two Democrats. For Congress in my district, it's a Democrat and the incumbent Republican.

I'm almost tempted to write-in a candidate in the margins in the Senate section, but that would likely "mar" my ballot and they won't count it, so my only option seems to be the inability to vote for a Senator.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »
In Illinois, you have to register as a write-in.  If no one registers as a write-in for that office, then no line appears on the ballot for a write-in.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 10:11:43 PM »
Every single office on the WA ballot had a spot for write ins.  Even where there was an unopposed candidate.
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:43:50 AM »
Again, depends on each state's election laws.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.