Author Topic: The Antarctic mission that keeps on giving...  (Read 14178 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The Antarctic mission that keeps on giving...
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:09:03 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: The Antarctic mission that keeps on giving...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:14:35 PM »
And none of the lamestream media is mentioning that the mission was originally to map ice disappearances due to global warming.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:17:39 PM »
Including the article I linked to.  :lol:

The Russian-owned research ship left New Zealand on November 28 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of an Antarctic journey led by Australian explorer Douglas Mawson.

It became trapped on December 24, 100 nautical miles east of French Antarctic station Dumont d'Urville and about 1,500 nautical miles south of Tasmania.

During their time on the ice, passengers amused themselves with films, classes in knot tying, languages, yoga and photography, and rang in the New Year with dinner, drinks and a song composed about their adventure.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
Including the article I linked to.  :lol:

The Russian-owned research ship left New Zealand on November 28 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of an Antarctic journey led by Australian explorer Douglas Mawson.

It became trapped on December 24, 100 nautical miles east of French Antarctic station Dumont d'Urville and about 1,500 nautical miles south of Tasmania.

During their time on the ice, passengers amused themselves with films, classes in knot tying, languages, yoga and photography, and rang in the New Year with dinner, drinks and a song composed about their adventure.

I think they should have read about Ernest Shackleton, instead of commemorating his voyage.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »
Well, now, see, since cold is heavier --we all know that from the drafts coming in the open door -- all the planet's cold is heading down toward the South Pole by convection.

So what that means is we get a false reading of our planet's supposed temperature rise because most of the scientifical weather stations are on the planet's North side and all that there glacier melt water is going to end up frozen on the South Pole.

The global warming rescuers just didn't foresee that.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:22:55 PM »
Isn't it summer down there this time of year?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »

Yes, you are correct.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »

Ayup.
Formerly sumpnz

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »
Oh man.   I'm going to a game day with a bunch of friends, well some of the friends of friends are a little more on the liberal side............

I'm gonna have fun this afternoon...  >:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 05:23:02 PM »

Summertime,
And the water is freezing
Fish are frozen'
And the liberals are high
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11181470

Team originally pledged to plant 500 trees to offset carbon impact of their trip. Now they will have to plant at least an order of magnitude more.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
And now, the U.S. Coast Guard has been called in to bust 'em both out.   :P

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/04/world/antarctica-ships-stuck/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »
And now, the U.S. Coast Guard has been called in to bust 'em both out.   :P

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/04/world/antarctica-ships-stuck/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Once again, the U.S. is called upon to got someone else out of hot cold water.
I'm surprised the Russkies didn't send their nuke powered ice breaker there to help.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 11:36:16 PM »
From the Polar Star's website:

POLAR STAR's three shafts are turned by either a diesel-electric or gas turbine power plant. Each shaft is connected to a 16-foot(4.9-meter) diameter, four-bladed, controllable-pitch propeller. The diesel-electric plant can produce 18,000 shaft horsepower(13,425 kilowatts) and the gas turbine plant a total of 75,000shaft horsepower (55,925 kilowatts). Along with POLAR STAR's sister ship POLAR SEA, she is one of the largest ships in the US Coast Guard and the world's most powerful non-nuclear ships.
    POLAR STAR has other unique engineering features designed to aid in icebreaking. An installed heeling system can rock the ship to prevent getting stuck in the ice. The system consists of three pairs of connected tanks on opposite sides of the ship. Pumps transfer a tank's contents (35,000 gallons, 133 kiloliters) to an opposing tank in 50 seconds and generate 24,000 foot-tons (64,800 kilowatt-seconds) of torque on the ship. That goes a long way in rocking POLAR STAR loose from any tight spots.
 :O :O

http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/cgcpolarstar/history.asp
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 11:38:41 PM »
From the Polar Star's website:

POLAR STAR's three shafts are turned by either a diesel-electric or gas turbine power plant. Each shaft is connected to a 16-foot(4.9-meter) diameter, four-bladed, controllable-pitch propeller. The diesel-electric plant can produce 18,000 shaft horsepower(13,425 kilowatts) and the gas turbine plant a total of 75,000shaft horsepower (55,925 kilowatts). Along with POLAR STAR's sister ship POLAR SEA, she is one of the largest ships in the US Coast Guard and the world's most powerful non-nuclear ships.
    POLAR STAR has other unique engineering features designed to aid in icebreaking. An installed heeling system can rock the ship to prevent getting stuck in the ice. The system consists of three pairs of connected tanks on opposite sides of the ship. Pumps transfer a tank's contents (35,000 gallons, 133 kiloliters) to an opposing tank in 50 seconds and generate 24,000 foot-tons (64,800 kilowatt-seconds) of torque on the ship. That goes a long way in rocking POLAR STAR loose from any tight spots.
 :O :O

http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/cgcpolarstar/history.asp

That ship is pretty frakking impressive!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
Good thing I don't drive that ship. I'd test run the heeling system everyday around chow time, see if I couldn't get the pitching out of sync with the prevailing sea, just to see who was still hungry.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
Good thing I don't drive that ship. I'd test run the heeling system everyday around chow time, see if I couldn't get the pitching out of sync with the prevailing sea, just to see who was still hungry.

You are an evil, evil man. :P
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 12:21:08 AM »
I'm still wondering why they don't just drop some small bunker-buster type bomblets along the ships' paths and bust the ice that way.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 01:46:41 AM »
I'm still wondering why they don't just drop some small bunker-buster type bomblets along the ships' paths and bust the ice that way.

Do you know how un-green that is?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletters.  

Let me just leave this here.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »

The bombs would be worth more  the so and it's passengers?  What's the exchange rate for hippie?

Related note: No one forced these yahoos to go looking for ice. I hope someone is tallying a bill for rescue. I know that I'm not thrilled US federal funds are being used for SAR in Antarctica.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 05:33:10 AM »
The bombs would be worth more  the so and it's passengers?  What's the exchange rate for hippie?

Related note: No one forced these yahoos to go looking for ice. I hope someone is tallying a bill for rescue. I know that I'm not thrilled US federal funds are being used for SAR in Antarctica.

Sorry, all the hippies got rescued and are no longer trapped there.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 06:29:52 AM »

Well now I'm just.......sad.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 08:59:44 AM »

They got rescued from one stranded ship and are now stuck on another stranded ship.  >:D

Where's the double hippy facepalm smiley when you need it.  :facepalm: :facepalm:That will suffice.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 09:16:03 AM »
They got rescued from one stranded ship and are now stuck on another stranded ship.  >:D

Where's the double hippy facepalm smiley when you need it.  :facepalm: :facepalm:That will suffice.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?