Author Topic: The Antarctic mission that keeps on giving...  (Read 14179 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The Antarctic mission that keeps on giving...
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2014, 07:46:34 PM »
*raises hand* why can't we just leave down there and say "That way you can wait till it melts and then come back and tell us how bad this global warming really is."

Sure, it's a waste of a good boat (s) (how many are stuck now?) and a polor bear might eat one of the "researchers" and get sick, but I think the potential reward outweighs the cost.

The problem is the dang eco-tourists (is that significantly different from eco-terrorists?) have gone home, leaving two ships stuck in the ice. I would have been much happier to see the ships go home and leave the tourists on [the] ice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »
They probably were going to plant the trees on Antarctica thinking the global warming would make it a new tropical paradise.

jim

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »
They feel bad about the extra carbon footprint from their rescue!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11181470

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2014, 11:35:16 PM »
Hmmm . . . why am I thinking we should have dropped them two books - one, the saga of the Donner Party (just to set the mood) and second, the book from the famous Twilight Zone episode To Serve Man. And then just sat back to see what happened.   >:D

Didn't Lovecraft write something vaguely relevant to their location?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:49 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2014, 12:53:08 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Mountains_of_Madness

Director Guillermo del Toro and screenwriter Matthew Robbins wrote a screenplay based on Lovecraft's story in 2006, but had trouble getting Warner Bros. to finance the project. Del Toro wrote, "The studio is very nervous about the cost and it not having a love story or a happy ending, but it's impossible to do either in the Lovecraft universe.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »
Director Guillermo del Toro and screenwriter Matthew Robbins wrote a screenplay based on Lovecraft's story in 2006, but had trouble getting Warner Bros. to finance the project. Del Toro wrote, "The studio is very nervous about the cost and it not having a love story or a happy ending, but it's impossible to do either in the Lovecraft universe.

Damn skippy. Best you can do is die sane or maybe live on in gibbering insanity.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »
Damn skippy. Best you can do is die sane or maybe live on in gibbering insanity.

Playing with e-texts on the tablet, I re-red "The Shunned House" yesterday.  That Lovecraft story ends with a rare win. 

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
Playing with e-texts on the tablet, I re-red "The Shunned House" yesterday.  That Lovecraft story ends with a rare win. 

Was that the one with the vampire under the floor?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2014, 11:26:08 PM »
Dursban. Diazinon. Betasan. Original formula Scotchgard. All gone.

Gasoline undiluted by alcohol - gone. (At least locally.)

Mail order gun sales. Bayer Heroin. (OK, that last disappeared way before my time

Saran wrap
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2014, 12:56:43 AM »
Saran wrap

Saran wrap is gone?

When? I still have a box in my kitchen drawer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2014, 08:17:30 AM »
Was that the one with the vampire under the floor?

Yup.  Dumped acid on him down a hole he dug in the basement floor. 

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
They're free from the ice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25635690

From the article:
[quoteA US Coastguard icebreaker, Polar Star, is heading towards the two ships, responding to an earlier request for help. It left Sydney, Australia, on Sunday and will take a week to get there.][/quote]

I wonder who's paying the price for that little excursion?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
Why the heck do we have US Coast Guard vessels stationed in Australia?

That's not our coast.

I could see Navy assets being out there, but not Coast Guard.

Does the Coast Guard now guard everyone's coasts in the whole world?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
Why the heck do we have US Coast Guard vessels stationed in Australia?

That's not our coast.

I could see Navy assets being out there, but not Coast Guard.

Does the Coast Guard now guard everyone's coasts in the whole world?

Uhm...Mcmurdo?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
Uhm...Mcmurdo?

I know there's antarctic research facilities down there, but I don't see what that has to do with the mission of the USCG.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
I know there's antarctic research facilities down there, but I don't see what that has to do with the mission of the USCG.

fed.gov base, supplied/supported by a fed.gov agency.  I suppose the Air Force C130's with the ski's that support the various bases are a problem too?

Not sure what the issue is?

I mean, one could have all the other conservative, libertarian, or an-cap objections to the activity overall... but, I'm having a hard time understanding the specific complaint.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »
I guess I'd object to the USAF and Navy assets as well on libertarian grounds, but it just seems to me that USCG has about as much a duty to Antarctica, as the NYPD would have to Antarctica.  Libertarian stuff aside, USCG is supposed to guard the US coast.

I'll admit I've never given much thought to the market mechanisms in place to supply arctic oil drilling operations or antarctic research operations... I just figured that sufficient free market resources existed to accomplish these objectives and were probably operated by the major stakeholders in ocean drilling and large scale construction/salvage concerns.  Between BP, Haliburton, Maersk, Exxon and all the other major efforts out there I assumed most ice breaker ships were capitalist operations.

--Lysander Spooner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »
I guess I'd object to the USAF and Navy assets as well on libertarian grounds, but it just seems to me that USCG has about as much a duty to Antarctica, as the NYPD would have to Antarctica.  Libertarian stuff aside, USCG is supposed to guard the US coast.

I'll admit I've never given much thought to the market mechanisms in place to supply arctic oil drilling operations or antarctic research operations... I just figured that sufficient free market resources existed to accomplish these objectives and were probably operated by the major stakeholders in ocean drilling and large scale construction/salvage concerns.  Between BP, Haliburton, Maersk, Exxon and all the other major efforts out there I assumed most ice breaker ships were capitalist operations.

We, the United States, reserve right for territorial claim in Antarctica. Ergo, USCG is guarding potential US territory.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:11:24 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »
All your earth is belong to US.   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »
does the navy have any icebreakers of that class?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2014, 04:09:53 PM »
"Why our icebreaker?"

The way I understand it under my foggy understanding of international maritime agreements, all ships must attempt to help or rescue a ship in trouble, if reasonably possible.

At least, I think that's the way it goes.

I assume it works differently in wartime naval battles.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:16:47 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.