Author Topic: Another glowing annual review, and no raise  (Read 3491 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Another glowing annual review, and no raise
« on: March 29, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »
For the fifth year in a row, another glowing annual review and no raise to go along with it.  The problem is as an official geezer with 35 years of experience, I top out early on the salary scale, and no annual raises beyond that point. 

It is by my choice, however.  I could increase my salary by 25-30% by taking another job when another risk executive position opens up, but that would entail a 100 mile roundtrip and 3-5 hours per workday on the freeway to and from downtown Seattle.  Given that I intend to retire in four years, I have decided that life is too short for that. I also do enjoy my current job working directly with the providers and the patients.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Another glowing annual review, and no raise
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 09:06:11 PM »
Sorry about the lack of a pay raise.  I can assure you though, enjoying your job and spending less time on the road to and from work is more valuable than the pay increase.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 10:00:27 PM »
You could be in my position.
I got a forced transfer/relocation.
It came with a 90 mile a day commute. 2.5-3 hours in traffic and I have to pay to park.  Old commute was 4 miles a day.
Went from "lunch on the job" to a required 1 hour lunch break. Total is close to 4 hours unpaid time added to my work day.
In addition to those "perks" I lost my night shift and Sunday differentials resulting in a $1200 a month pay cut.
Cry me a river.
 =D

The absolute worst part is that I now have to be around people all *expletive deleted*ing day. Previously I sometimes went weeks at a time without having to see or talk to anyone on the job.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 06:58:13 AM »
Some years ago a guy I know got a glowing review...

And a pay cut.

To be fair, everyone in the company took a 5% pay cut due to the economic downturn.

But when things turned back positive, the company conveniently forgot that it had cut pay, and employees were told that there wouldn't be any pay raises for at least 3 more years while the company "recovered."

Then it came out that the top level of management received hush-hush raises and bonuses of more than triple the total that had been saved by the pay cuts.

Can anyone tell me what happens to a 70 person company when over half of the work force, including a number of irreplaceable technology mavens, resigns in the span of a month to take better paying jobs with competitors, who were in a hiring frenzy at the time due to new contract wins?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »
Bad management can really sink a company. 

I do agree with the comment above:  enjoying your job/coworkers and having a short commute makes up for a lot.  I commute about 7 miles with no significant traffic.  I really wouldn't want to back to big city commuting traffic. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »
I hit that age-pay scale ceiling myself, but like you, was getting close to deciding to retire anyhow.  The short commute (7 miles) and great folks I worked wih meant a lot in terms of money and time, and I had worked out nifty ways to get around I-70 traffic (yuch) into the city (double-yuch).

"They" (local unit management) figured out ways under the table to keep me happy --nothing illegal, you understand --and I was amazed at my retirement party at how much they thought of me.  Even one of my original supervisors from more than a decade before showed up, which absolutely stunned me.

So hang in there.

The good memories will account for a lot in terms of mere stinkin' lucre in the future.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
Maybe you could ask for some extra vacation time?

I think you are right not to quit- I think long commutes are a good way to be miserable.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »

I think you are right not to quit- I think long commutes are a good way to be miserable.

Shhhh.  No, no, no.  Let them call it "Compensatory Time Off."  Shhhh.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »
I also do enjoy my current job working directly with the providers and the patients.

And we get the benefit of such lovely, illustrative, and amusing patient stories.  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 01:05:45 AM »

This.  Or some bonus $$.  If it's a public company some stock grants and/or options might be a good option.
Formerly sumpnz

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »
Not granting pay rises is a good way to effectively cut wages - prices go up, sometimes yours, and your big costs stay the same.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 07:22:26 AM »
I just realized that my company should be announcing raises any day now. We had a very screwed up annual review cycle this year (screwed up as in nice screwed up).

In years past we had to evaluate ourselves, get input from coworkers/customers with whom we worked, all in all a pain in the butt.

They simplified it last year considerably. It didn't take nearly the time that it used to.

This year? No write up at all. Just our annual training certifications. We didn't even have to create a statement that we met/exceeded our annual objectives.

I have no clue how that's going to work out raise wise, but given what I've bought to the company and customer this past year I'll be sorely pissed if I don't get at least 3%.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 02:45:11 AM »
One year we were forced into reporting tangible results for each year.  I had a problem with that since I was in the lab testing stuff. But we had to be very scrupulous about keeping our lab notebooks.  I mean to the point of formally acknowledging that we had read and understood the intricacies of proper notebook-keeping.  I had to keep, whenever possible, articles involved in the experimentation in the notebook.  This involved affixing samples and photographs and printed reports, etc., in them.

What to do, what to do?

I ended up weighing a fresh, new notebook and then the full one I had used for the last year and discovered and reported that I had generated 127.25 grams of data during the year.

The upshot was that while it was funny and I should be <ahem> "talked to," but they quit doing that and went back to just having supervisors report on subordinates' performances.

I was not the only one who objected to the new system, so I can't take sole credit for the return to the old way.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 03:21:17 AM by 230RN »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
For a while, we were on annual review dependant raises.  But the problem with the system was that supervisors were only allowed to give out x number of outstandings.  This was when I was working at Salt Lake TRACON.  18th busiest facility in the country, #1 on time commercial airport, and we went two years in a row with 0 operational "errors" (controllers letting airplanes too close together). 
My crew was all young guys.  Supervisor tried to give us all outstandings, and was told he couldn't.  His reasoning was we were all young, aggressive go getters who went above and beyond every shift to run a safe and highly efficient operation.  Nope.  Reverse quota for raises.  Can't give your whole crew outstanding ratings.
 ;/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »
"Supervisor tried to give us all outstandings, and was told he couldn't."

If everyone is outstanding, NO ONE is outstanding.

You know how this works, Ayn!

My company does the same thing. Can only have so many top level, and if you give someone a top level, it has to be documented six ways from Sunday, and the recipient had damned well better have been found to be walking on water, healing the sick, changing water into wine, feeding the board of directors with some fishes and loaves, and raising our founder from the dead.

And even that will only get you a next to top level unless you've also brought $100 million of new business into the company.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »
The other problem is that supervisors are not at all the same.  The same work from one employee could get an outstanding evaluation from one and an adequate review from another.  I find such things are highly variable.  

A few years ago our company went to an ABCD system.  99% of employees are expected to be rated a "C".  A few get A or B ratings and better raises and the worst get a "D".  I prefer it but that might be because of the way my boss uses it.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 09:15:24 AM »
For a while, we were on annual review dependant raises.  But the problem with the system was that supervisors were only allowed to give out x number of outstandings.  This was when I was working at Salt Lake TRACON.  18th busiest facility in the country, #1 on time commercial airport, and we went two years in a row with 0 operational "errors" (controllers letting airplanes too close together). 
My crew was all young guys.  Supervisor tried to give us all outstandings, and was told he couldn't.  His reasoning was we were all young, aggressive go getters who went above and beyond every shift to run a safe and highly efficient operation.  Nope.  Reverse quota for raises.  Can't give your whole crew outstanding ratings.
 ;/

Are you guys on "pay for performance"? That was a test system set up by Bush to supposedly get rid of the "everybody gets a raise" standard. My part of gov got switched to it, and while I was a GS-14 in the real world, in the pay for performance world, I was converted to a ZP-4.

It worked similarly to what you described, in that while your boss was supposed to rate by performance, at the same time, they were told that "excellent" was an extremely rare performance review to give out, and they would be questioned if there were more than one or two (or even any) in their dept. Which in some ways led to the opposite of what pay for performance was supposed to do. Every time I sat down with my boss and he told me, "I can't give you an excellent because it'll be reversed by HQ, because we can only give away a certain percentage of them." Which of course led me to say, "Then why am I busting my ass?" I only got one "excellent" in my time in that program, and talking to other high performers in the office,  I got the impression that the boss was rotating his one "excellent" through his pool of high performers.

At the same time, I had back door access via a friend at our HQ to who was getting what in the new plan. Somehow, something like 50% of HQ staff were getting "excellent" in their reviews by our Director, who was the guy who said supervisors couldn't give out "excellent" reviews. Somehow, the HQ employees were getting bonuses as well, which was another thing that was only to be rarely given out. In the regular GS system, I used to get a bonus all the time, which was the way supervisors fixed that system, where lazy bums got the same annual raise as good performers.

I did make out a little better on pay for performance, in that my boss would put me as close to excellent as he could get away with, which pushed me from a GS-14 step 2, where I was when the plan started, to the equivalent of a GS-14 step 10, where I was when I retired, in close to half the time it would have taken in the old system.

The new system though, was/is rife for favoritism. In the GS system, high performers would get pissed off when every lazy jackass would get the same raise as them. In the new system, good performers could make out, but if you were buddies with the boss, you could also make out, regardless of your performance. My boss always gave his two surfing buddies in the office about the same reviews as me, and while one of them deserved it, the other one was probably the laziest person in the office.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
Our raise system is semi-dependent on reviews. By that I mean you have score at least a four (Acceptable Performance) out of seven (Exemplary Performance). Above the "acceptable" mark and you get the system-determined raise... if the departmental payroll is funded via the University's budget. Departmental budgets which come through the University automatically get their payroll funded at any percentage system-wide pay increase determined by the Board of Regents. If you are a line-item, like the Museum, you get diddly. Our funds come directly from the state, not through the University system. Raises must come directly from departmental funds and are completely discretionary.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 11:41:00 AM »
I know that ones Annual Performance Review Goals to be measured for the upcoming year can NOT be to have the HR Manager cry five times and soil herself twice.  Those are frowned upon.

However, you can still have them as personal, unwritten goals.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
For year's I've wanted to put as my coming year's primary goal "Not kill you aholes," and my annual performance review primary accomplishment "Didn't kill you aholes."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
For year's I've wanted to put as my coming year's primary goal "Not kill you aholes," and my annual performance review primary accomplishment "Didn't kill you aholes."

That's pretty much everyone's unwritten annual goal.  However, there are those that can't even clear that bar...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 12:04:32 AM »
I'm at the point of actively looking for a new job.  3 years running of "exceeds expectations" and still can't get the salary grade promotion I should have got 4 years ago (with just "meets expectations" on my review), and that my direct supervisor has been actively pushing for since my second "exceeds" review.

And it's not like I've topped out the pay scale like MillCreek.  I'm barely above 50% band penetration, and still 4% under the inflation adjusted pay from when I started there 8 years ago.

I'm just waiting for Boeing to start hiring again.  Between the Trump tax cuts effect, and the 797 program I'll  probably be able to retire before the next major purge  cycle.  I'll for a Level 4 engineer position there, which should give me a $20-30k raise.
Formerly sumpnz

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 02:56:30 AM »
Hey we have no reviews. We have an everyone gets paid the same-day from the forklift drivers to the clerical staff to the mindless drone box pushers. It's all "general employee".

I still remember one year, I think they adjusted the pay scale up about five cents. Third or fourth year of small or nothing, excellent facility performance, and  business in the area ramping up. The HR guy actually told the assembled employees this is where y'all clap. I thought he was gonna get tossed out a window...not that any opening ones were available.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
. . .  I thought he was gonna get tossed out a window...not that any opening ones were available . . .
Opening a window prior to defenestration is only an optional courtesy. >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 01:49:15 PM »
For the fifth year in a row, another glowing annual review and no raise to go along with it.  The problem is as an official geezer with 35 years of experience, I top out early on the salary scale, and no annual raises beyond that point. 

It is by my choice, however.  I could increase my salary by 25-30% by taking another job when another risk executive position opens up, but that would entail a 100 mile roundtrip and 3-5 hours per workday on the freeway to and from downtown Seattle.  Given that I intend to retire in four years, I have decided that life is too short for that. I also do enjoy my current job working directly with the providers and the patients.

Do you currently work in the public sector?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536