Author Topic: The ACLU Says Hawaii Police Arrested a 10-Year-Old Girl for Drawing  (Read 489 times)

MechAg94

• friend
The ACLU Says Hawaii Police Handcuffed and Arrested a 10-Year-Old Girl for Drawing a Picture
https://reason.com/2021/10/21/the-aclu-says-hawaii-police-handcuffed-and-arrested-a-10-year-old-girl-for-drawing-a-picture/

The ACLU and the law firm Caballero Law LLLC are representing Tamara Taylor and her 10-year-old daughter, who is identified only as "N.B." According to those groups, school officials at Honowai Elementary called Taylor on January 10 because another parent demanded that the school report her daughter to the police. N.B. had allegedly participated in drawing an offensive sketch of a student in response to that student bullying her. (What alleged crime the young girl committed by drawing a picture is unclear.)

The story is a bit strange.  I didn't see any description of what the girl drew.  If it was something violence related, I would have thought the school would do something without a parent complaining. 
I was thinking if I were a parent getting called to the school over my kid, then when I show up the administrators and cop are mouthing excuses and not providing answers and won't let me see my kid.  I would start getting pretty pissed off.  I also wonder what else there is to the story that was not mentioned.

Saw it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlST2um30a0
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
Re: The ACLU Says Hawaii Police Arrested a 10-Year-Old Girl for Drawing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 09:08:58 AM »
This thread is worthless without pictures.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 06:13:13 PM »
Hmmm . . . I thought minors had the right to have a parent and/or an attorney present when being questioned by police? I know of one situation where that was the case with a high school student, not a 10 year old. (The high school student knew his rights - saying the cop was annoyed would be an understatement.)

Shoddy reporting - too much missing info.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 08:29:53 PM »
I've spent a lot of my career working in the juvenile justice system.  A few observations...

In 25+ years, I have yet to see a reporter get things corrected in a story involving a kid.  One way or the other, they seem to neglect facts for the emotion of the story.

In 25+ years, I have never seen a child under the age of 12 arrested and transported for a non-violent offense.  And I mean real violent act, not some BS threatening drawing kind of thing.

Different states have different laws regarding juvenile suspects.  Some require a parent or other suitable adult to be present for any questioning.  Some require an attorney be present.  So, it may be legal in Hawaii.

Final observation, I have yet to meet a cop who would spend four hours on what appears to be no more than a scared straight session.  Not likely.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark