Author Topic: Medical Supplies for Preppers  (Read 1249 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Medical Supplies for Preppers
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:01:35 AM »
A few years ago I came across some interesting and knowledgable threads about medical supplies for preppers.  Under discussion was half a dozen different “medicines” that I didn’t recognize that would treat a wide range of injuries or other ailments.

Now when I look at places like Amazon I either see first aid kits with bandaids and Neosporin, or bug-out bags complete with compact shovels.  I want much more than the first aid kits, but I don't want to pay for things in a bug out bag I already have.

Given a scenario where there is a significant degree of societal breakdown with no access to doctors for maybe 2 years, does anyone know of a good kit that would be useful for someone with no medical skills?

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Medical Supplies for Preppers
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 02:07:38 AM »
Don't search for "first aid kits," search for "trauma kits."

Here's a review of one that's not up to the task: https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?269-DTL-Gear-Outdoorsman-First-Aid-Kit

I discussed this with a friend who isn't an EMT, but who has taken some advanced trauma first aid classes. Among the things he felt this kit was missing were nasal tubes (actually, he said "tube" -- singular -- but when I started looking I learned that there are six different sizes, to be selected based on the size of the patient), and a decent tourniquet. The one in the kit (he said) is better suited to children than to adults. The kit in the review also doesn't have any splints -- either finger, arm, or leg.

For a potential two-year interval, I would also look for a basic surgical kit.
https://armysurpluswarehouse.com/surgical-set-80122/

You could also consider adding to the kit clotting pads, and/or clotting powder. With respect to clotting powder, I've had qualified medical professionals give me diametrically opposing views on whether or not that belongs in a trauma kit.

Multiple sources I have read also suggest buying a basic supply of a couple or three broad spectrum antibiotics. You can buy them from veterinary medicine vendors without a prescription. They are labeled for use on pets, but they're basically the same as pharmaceutical grade, or close enough for emergency use. Also, be aware that expiration dates are VERY conservative. The U.S, military has been doing studies on the expiration dates of various medications, and they have found that some can be extended by ten years or more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 04:54:32 AM »
Very good, thanks Hawkmoon.  I have the same situation as Silver Bullet, recentlu re-awakened to the need for more than band-aids.

Can  you enumerate some of the things you can get (especially antibiotics) from farm and ranch or veterinary supply places?  And which ones?  

Would places like "PET SMART" carry that kind of stuff?

(Incidentally it should be fairly well known by now that most (not all) "expiration" and "use by" dates are merchandising gimmicks to get you to part with your money sooner than you need to.)

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 07:48:17 AM »
I’ve always had an interest in upping my medical prep posture as well.  Tracking this thread for more info.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 08:52:39 AM »
While deferring to the medical professionals here, I will reiterate what I always say in these threads: Advanced trauma kits are worthless if you don't have the proper skills to use them. A splint is one thing, but a tourniquet is something you use as an interim fix until medical professionals arrive; and without training and practice, those nasal tubes can turn into something for which your victim requires real medical attention. I've had advanced first aid and basic dive medic training, and we never covered nasal tube insertion.

If you want a trauma kit and add advanced first aid/EMT classes to it, bravo. If you buy one because of all the cool stuff thinking you're going to do field surgery without having had any training, best to stick to basic first aid and some well thought out and safe medications (pain relief, antiseptics, etc.). JMHO.

As a hypocritical aside to the above, ever since I downloaded Ron's recommended plant identification app, I have been learning a lot about the medicinal / external first aid value of "weeds" on my property.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 09:03:23 AM »
My recent injury at home demonstrated that our med kit is inadequate. My wife is a former RN and I have had some training but years ago. We managed a decent compression bandage but I need a pack of Israeli battle wraps. As to the med stuff, I’m going to reach out to my ER doctor buddy and see if I can get a list from him.
Awhile back when I suddenly realized that itchy burning spot on my eye lid might be shingles, I texted him and he said get there pronto. He confirmed my dx and called his wife and I went to his house where she dispensed a couple of the antiviral meds from his home kit until I could get to the pharmacy.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 10:43:53 AM »
While deferring to the medical professionals here, I will reiterate what I always say in these threads: Advanced trauma kits are worthless if you don't have the proper skills to use them. A splint is one thing, but a tourniquet is something you use as an interim fix until medical professionals arrive; and without training and practice, those nasal tubes can turn into something for which your victim requires real medical attention. I've had advanced first aid and basic dive medic training, and we never covered nasal tube insertion.

If you want a trauma kit and add advanced first aid/EMT classes to it, bravo. If you buy one because of all the cool stuff thinking you're going to do field surgery without having had any training, best to stick to basic first aid and some well thought out and safe medications (pain relief, antiseptics, etc.). JMHO.

This is true. I have had this discussion with my friend. His view is to carry (in his vehicles) a minimal trauma kit, sufficient for treating ONE gunshot wound at a shooting range or IDPA competition.

My view is a bit longer term, perhaps not TEOTWAWKI stuff, but certainly aimed at things like natural disaster situations and resultant evacuations. I want things in my kit to treat what might be encountered. I may not know how to use it (like the nasal tubes), but they're in the kit so if a doctor or paramedic shows up but doesn't have the supplies, my kit can provide the supplies and the other good Samaritan can provide the expertise.

Amazon has some soft first aid kit pouches that are similar to the one in that review, but slightly larger in size and capacity. I've bought two of those that I'm setting up as my everyday vehicle carry kits. For a longer term trauma kit, I went with a single-strap "tactical" backpack style sling bag.

For a kit that could be good for two years or so, I don't think you can plan on using it for a single emergency and then restocking. The kit in the review, for example, has a single roll of tape (very small) and a single roll of coban (cohesive bandage -- the self-adhering Ace bandage stuff). I've bought bulk packs of coban in both 2-inch and 3-inch widths, and I'll put a couple in each vehicle bag, and probably several in the long-term SHTF bag.

For the antibiotics, search for "fish+antibiotics" or "bird+antibiotics." Here's one potential source: https://www.chkadels.com/fish-antibiotics-4577

The problem with the antibiotics is knowing which to use for what. But, if you have two or three in your kit, you may be able to obtain guidance from someone/somewhere as to what's appropriate in a given situation.

[Edit to add] That source also has trauma kits: https://www.chkadels.com/first-aid-kits-4964
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 10:48:55 AM »
I stock a lot of israeli bandages, cat tourniquets and the like but they do revolve around getting to a functioning medical professional. Longer term self care is more difficult.  From farm first aid and dog first aid I think everyone should stock more basic wound care stuff in huge quantities. Vet wrap, gauze, non stick pads, iodine, chlorhexidine soap, etc. Beyond that look at what medication you have used regularly and try to stock a lot. Work on your social network, I have a sister as a nurse and a vet buddy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 10:50:47 AM »

For a kit that could be good for two years or so, I don't think you can plan on using it for a single emergency and then restocking. The kit in the review, for example, has a single roll of tape (very small) and a single roll of coban (cohesive bandage -- the self-adhering Ace bandage stuff). I've bought bulk packs of coban in both 2-inch and 3-inch widths, and I'll put a couple in each vehicle bag, and probably several in the long-term SHTF bag.

Yes, I've found whether a basic or advanced medical kit, you still need extra of various components. I've bought horse wrap, gauze in various forms, regular band aids, etc. separately and I keep them all in a plastic storage container stored with my other emergency supplies.

Good point on having stuff you might not know how to use handy for someone who does know how to use it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 12:48:03 PM »
Lots of good info here, thanks for all the replies.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 01:17:19 PM »
Yes, an excellent point on having stuff outside experts would know how to use, especially if there are shortages or da goobermink has shut down supply sources... like "nonessential" pet stores and farm and ranch outlets. 

[tinfoil]  <--- (But pre-planning for the worst is a survival trait.)

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 01:45:05 PM »
Keeping a few animals is a sure intro into first aid. Bought a big vial of norocillin last week for my turkey self vetting.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
I found some of my old reference material, including a .pdf for Survival and Austere Medicine:  An Introduction.  There is a link here:

https://lowervalleyassembly.us/2018/01/11/survival-and-austere-medicine-3rd-edition-link/

Here’s a link to that 213-page pdf:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/3b311a_6ef34fffc73447ce9a4d25a4d441b662.pdf

Naturally I can’t vouch for this material.  It looks authentic to me, but it doesn’t include many names of those who created it, although there are tons of references at the end.

Page 3:  “If you start administering medical or surgical treatments without the appropriate skills you will kill someone.”  Keep that in mind.

My interest today is in antibiotics I might acquire, and Chapter 4 (page 21) discusses medical kits and what should be in them.  Table 4.3 The Deluxe Medical Kit (page 33) lists three dozen medications to include.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 02:04:50 PM »
Here is one of my favorite medical references for laypeople who may find themselves having to be the closest thing to a physician around;

https://catamaranguru.com/images/pdf/Ship-Captains-Medical-Guide---22nd-Ed.pdf

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 02:05:04 PM »
I was part of a similar discussion with a physician who was advising a friend on this issue.
His perspective was that anything serious would require an enormous quantity of supplies that would be very difficult to prepare for.  I had a quite large box of gauze and surgical sponges and so forth I had bought with that kind of scenario in mind and thought it was a good start but he said it would hardly suffice for treatment of even an uncomplicated through-and-through GSW.

Not that you couldn’t probably get by with duct tape and a t shirt, but quality of care would suffer.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 02:15:44 PM »
Here is one of my favorite medical references for laypeople who may find themselves having to be the closest thing to a physician around

Thanks, I downloaded that one for my collection too. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 02:27:51 PM »
I skimmed both PDFs.  They actually complement each other, both include things the other doesn’t.

Millcreek’s PDF is focused on treatments, and is well organized, thorough, and illustrated.

My PDF is broader in scope, more along the lines of preparation:  medical kits, basic laboratory, herbal and botanical medicine, medical aspects of shelter living.

I’m keeping both.  I'll use mine to prepare and Millcreek's when I have an actual emergency to treat.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »
Something I had completely forgotten about and I don’t know if I could locate it quickly or if it’s even still good.
I had a hard charging retriever that would go anywhere and through anything when hunting. I always worried about him getting torn up way out in the field or strip mine lakes duck hunting. I carried a tube of EMT vet gel for wound closure and disinfectant and anesthetic along with a roll of elastikon tape and non stick dressings.
That EMT vet gel was awesome stuff the only time I needed it on him. I’ve got an unopened tube somewhere. It was basically a superglue gel with clotting disinfecting and numbing components added to it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.