Author Topic: How to cut a circle (32" to 36") out of cement board  (Read 1602 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
How to cut a circle (32" to 36") out of cement board
« on: May 17, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
Wife has an iron table that had a cement and tile mosaic top that she uses outdoors.  She left it out over the winter and the top fell apart from freezing and thawing.  She wants a new top.  (it doesn't have to be cement)  I've been trying to figure out how to make a form to cast a top from high strength mortar, or make a nice clean slice from a 3 foot diameter slab of soft maple trunk in my back yard (I know that won't last long), and I just tho't last night, "why not cut a circle of Hardiebacker cement board and use that?"  Smooth side up.  I don't know if the half inch is strong enough, but it's only about $12 for a piece to try it.  But I don't know how to cut it.

Normally you score the stuff with a utility knife and snap it.  On Hardie's web site they show how to cut a circle, but that's an *inside* circle (you score the circle, score it multiple times across the diagonal like pizza slices, then hammer out the pieces.  But I want to keep the circle and discard the outside.

What about using a diamond power saw, if I cut it outdoors and wear a P100 mask?  Cutting or grinding the stuff creates a lot of silica dust, but on a windy day that might be okay; just hazardous to do it indoors.  Or, it comes in a 3x5' panel, maybe I can score the circle and then score rays from the circle out to the edge and knock them out with a hammer...

Any idea?  Is this not going to work anyway because the 1/2" stuff is really only about 7/16" and isn't strong enough to support itself flat, especially after it's been rained on a few times?

I have a wet tile saw.  Maybe I can make some kind of jig to cut it with that.  But that would probably require drilling a hole in the center...
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: How to cut a circle (32" to 36") out of cement board
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »
Dremel and a cord to act as a compass?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 03:27:12 PM »
I doubt your cement board would hold up very well in that application. ?
You could use plywood and topcoat it with that epoxy stuff they use to make countertops that look like marble or stone or add colors and swirls etc. my son in law did his moms old kitchen countertops with it and had some left over and then did a patio table with it and it looks good. They used it for restaurant and bar tables back when we had restaurants and bars.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 03:54:14 PM »
I would make it out of cedar boards (tongue and grove) and use marine varnish on the exposed sides.

or treated plywood with those over it

https://www.amazon.com/Mosaic-Tuscan-Custom-Elasticized-Table/dp/B06WLMVN5Y/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=tile+outdoor+table&qid=1589745208&s=hi&sr=1-1

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 04:17:21 PM »
Fiberglass.
Use epoxy resin. Make it as thick as you need it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
I'm kinda liking idea: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V9PGV6D/ref=twister_B07VF9Y1TG  I need to measure the table base to see what the actual diameter is.  That's probably cheaper than having a piece custom cut and the edges polished locally.  1/4" seems kind of thin, tho'.  I wish they had 3/8 -- but I haven't acutally looked for 3/8" tempered glass tops yet.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 05:29:57 PM »
I'm kinda liking idea: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V9PGV6D/ref=twister_B07VF9Y1TG  I need to measure the table base to see what the actual diameter is.  That's probably cheaper than having a piece custom cut and the edges polished locally.  1/4" seems kind of thin, tho'.  I wish they had 3/8 -- but I haven't acutally looked for 3/8" tempered glass tops yet.

I clicked on your link, they have 3/8" tempered glass tops too
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 05:37:01 PM »
I clicked on your link, they have 3/8" tempered glass tops too

Yeah, I found a 3/8" renewed top I'll probably order.  It's supposed to be "like new" and it's about $20 cheaper than actually new.  I measured the base and it looks like either a 30 or 32" top will work.  36" would be a little big.  With a glass top, I should probably put 3 blobs of clear silicone on the iron frame of the glass to rest on so it's not glass-on-metal.  I wonder if I should put saranwrap or something over the silicone so it doesn't stick to the glass?  Then remove the film after the silicone hardens.  I want to be able to remove the top for winter.

Edit: or these  ;/  https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Bumpers-Pack-Clear-SP950-NA/dp/B01N922DLO
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:54:09 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 07:13:40 PM »
Do you want a free black granite top? You’re in Minnesota, aren’t you? I’m between Redwood Falls and Marshall; come get it!

It has a metal base glued on - with the adhesive from hell. Want a photo?

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »
Do you want a free black granite top? You’re in Minnesota, aren’t you? I’m between Redwood Falls and Marshall; come get it!

It has a metal base glued on - with the adhesive from hell. Want a photo?
JB

A photo would be nice, mainly just because I'm curious.  You're about 3 hours away, and I don't have a truck (yet), and then I'd still need to cut it and polish the edges.  The more I think about it, I'm liking the glass top from Amazon route.  Thanks! :)
"It's good, though..."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 07:57:55 PM »
I usually just shoot a 34-inch cannonball through it. 

Wait ... you said you wanted to keep the middle part, correct?  Never mind.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »
I usually just shoot a 34-inch cannonball through it. 

Wait ... you said you wanted to keep the middle part, correct?  Never mind.

Yes, that's the problem. ;)  I like your idea, tho'....
"It's good, though..."

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 10:21:59 PM »
A photo would be nice, mainly just because I'm curious.  You're about 3 hours away, and I don't have a truck (yet), and then I'd still need to cut it and polish the edges.  The more I think about it, I'm liking the glass top from Amazon route.  Thanks! :)

I’ll get a pic tomorrow. It’s finished and polished. We took it out of the house and it’s languishing in the shop.

I *think* it’s 36 inches in diameter and ~1 1/4 thick. And heavy. I’ll send exact dimensions along with pics.

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 12:04:59 AM »
I’ll get a pic tomorrow. It’s finished and polished. We took it out of the house and it’s languishing in the shop.

I *think* it’s 36 inches in diameter and ~1 1/4 thick. And heavy. I’ll send exact dimensions along with pics.

JB

It's already a circle?  Now I'm interested!  I thought it was a rectangle large enuf for me to cut a circle.  But it's probably too heavy for this little base.  I'd love to see a pic.  Thanks.
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 12:09:49 AM »
Eh, I've got a diamond grit blade for my angle grinder that I usually use for doing closet flanges in tile and the like.  In cement backer, usually I'm using hole saws.

For your application?  I'd be strongly tempted to use a diamond or carbide grit blade in a jig saw. 

That said, I agree with other posters that cement backer board won't hold up long as a table surface.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 12:14:10 AM »
Eh, I've got a diamond grit blade for my angle grinder that I usually use for doing closet flanges in tile and the like.  In cement backer, usually I'm using hole saws.

For your application?  I'd be strongly tempted to use a diamond or carbide grit blade in a jig saw. 

That said, I agree with other posters that cement backer board won't hold up long as a table surface.

I know the gray stuff that looks like concrete won't hold up.  I thought the cement and fiber stuff from Hardie might be more durable.  But at this point I think I'll either buy a glass top, or make a road trip for that 80 lb chunk of granite at JB's and maybe stop at the Schell's brewery while I'm in the area -- if they are open.
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »
I know the gray stuff that looks like concrete won't hold up.  I thought the cement and fiber stuff from Hardie might be more durable.  But at this point I think I'll either buy a glass top, or make a road trip for that 80 lb chunk of granite at JB's and maybe stop at the Schell's brewery while I'm in the area -- if they are open.

Ah I misunderstood.  Fiber cement might be pretty good.  Carbide on a jig saw would probably still be my go to, though dust is a concern.  Anyway, the plan that involves beer sounds better.  =)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 12:27:33 AM »
Detcord.

Clear resin and .45 cases would look cool.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.