Author Topic: Explosion/fire at hash oil business  (Read 1020 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Explosion/fire at hash oil business
« on: May 17, 2020, 05:30:18 PM »
Eleven firefighters were injured, and several buildings were set on fire, due to an explosion in downtown Los Angeles. There is, according to some news sources, confusion about the nature of the explosion. Other sources report the site of the explosion was a "hash oil factory."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/17/los-angeles-explosion-10-firefighters-injured-in-major-emergency

That's a new one on me, so I'm not sure how it differs from CBD oil, or if it's legal in L.A. (And is it "essential"?)* In any case, exploding hash oil is apparently a major hazard to the hippy/pothead lifestyle.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2015/07/18/hash-oil-use-rises-safety-questions/30315841/

Gotta wonder, even if it's legal to make the stuff under state/municipal law, is it legal in that neighborhood, as opposed to a less crowded area like an industrial park?

* For that matter, are essential oils essential?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
Re: Explosion/fire at hash oil business
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »
I think even the media is confused about what exploded - I'd swear I heard the media talking head say it was "butane honey oil" (???) that blew up.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:54:42 PM »
I saw mention of that earlier but all I heard was "oil explosion".  I figured there was no way there was an oil refinery near downtown LA. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 01:47:36 AM »
I think even the media is confused about what exploded - I'd swear I heard the media talking head say it was "butane honey oil" (???) that blew up.

That is, so it would seem, a thing. A method of extracting the oil from the plant, using butane, I guess. Might explain the splodyness.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 07:37:40 AM »
Just saw a short drone video of the fire.  That looks nasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ttvaLD254
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 07:41:33 AM »
That is, so it would seem, a thing. A method of extracting the oil from the plant, using butane, I guess. Might explain the splodyness.

Yep, butane to strip oils for vaping or putting in edibles. I visited an operation in Oregon where they used liquid CO2 to extract there.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 08:02:18 AM »
Saw an updated story - yep, it was butane honey oil used for vaping.

The talking head on TV said that officials were looking into this closely as the business apparently wasn't licensed to use that method of processing on these premesis; sounds like SOMEbody is going to be in deep trouble.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 09:53:01 AM »
Saw an updated story - yep, it was butane honey oil used for vaping.

The talking head on TV said that officials were looking into this closely as the business apparently wasn't licensed to use that method of processing on these premesis; sounds like SOMEbody is going to be in deep trouble.
That does sound like some hardcore chemical processing. 

I was trying to think of all the laws and regulations they might have been violating:  zoning, environmental air permitting, problem some OSHA regulations, state and local fire codes, etc, etc. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge