Author Topic: WTF? Over  (Read 7528 times)

vernal45

• friend
WTF? Over
« on: March 10, 2008, 05:30:35 PM »
I try to stay away from threads on the militarization of the police since I was banned from THR.  But this is just wrong, on so many levels.  WTF does any police agency need with a BELT FED 50 cal. 

S.C. Sheriff's Department Armored Vehicle with Belt-Fed Machine Gun

The Richland County (S.C.) Sheriff's Department has acquired an armored personnel carrier complete with a turret-mounted .50-caliber belt-fed machine gun for its Special Response Team.

Sheriff Leon Lott told the Columbia State newspaper that he hoped the vehicle, named "The Peacemaker," would let the bad guys know that his officers are serious.

"We don't look at this as a killing machine," Lott told the paper. "It's going to keep the peace. We hope the fact that we have this is going to save lives. When something like this rolls up, it's time to give up."

The Peacemaker has a top speed of 30 mph.

http://www.policemag.com/News/2008/03/06/S-C-Sheriffs-Department-Armored-Vehicle-with-Belt-Fed-Machine-Gun.aspx

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: WTF? Over
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »

Wonder how much that one cost the tax payers.  Probably have to write a lot of tickets to cover maintenance costs and such.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »
That's over the top.  The citizens of Richland County should find out who authorized that and fire his ass.

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:19:06 PM »
Uh, for South Carolina?

Knowing something about bureaucracies...

The department (or city) applied for either a grant of money or equipment for something they wanted and probably needed, like a couple more computers, or an extra jail cell for the lockup.

Whoever they applied to countered with, "We don't have an extra $50,000 this fiscal year, but we've got this surplus bit of equipment you can have - just so you don't go home empty handed, you see."

Figuring (A) this was all they were going to get, regardless of what they wanted, and (B) if they didn't take whatever it was they were offered, NEXT TIME they wouldn't get anything; they accepted.

Now they're putting the best possible face on it.

(You know some neighbor or fellow church member is asking the Sheriff, "Leon, what in blazes is that thingimabob anyhow?")

The late Will Rogers once said, "I don't make up any jokes, folks.  I just watch the government and report what they're doing."
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
Somebody's tax dollars at play.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »
I'm sure it won't be abused...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

doc2rn

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 06:58:42 PM »
I bet they got that out of the bone yard with the LAVs on the weapon station in Charleston, SC. I saw more than one of those just sitting around for over 3 yrs. Now that the city has control of the main base since they refused to put in a draw bridge for aircraft carriers they probably pulled that out to salvage some pride. cheesy

johnster999

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 07:07:39 PM »
The good news is they won't be able to afford the maintenance and it'll spend it's time sitting in the shop.

When they run out of jail space, they can just lock up the overflow in it (sans belt fed).

quiet

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 11:21:42 PM »
I know of two county sheriff departments (the one i live in and the one i work in) that have belt fed machineguns in their inventory.
So far, they only have a few Saco M-60s and FN M-249s.

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 11:30:32 PM »
For sheer comedy, go over to cop talk on the glock talk forum and read some of the posts justifying this. The should write fantasy. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
Someone wanted a "YEE HAW!!!" toy to "practice" with.

They got the toy. The taxpayers paid for it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 03:53:57 AM »
How much does an M2 cost anyway? I bet it's not all that expensive, it's not like they're some uber-hight-tech equipment.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 04:03:24 AM »
The question is what on earth they would use it for! There is nothing I can think of that a police department would have to do that would call for a crew-served heavy machine gun of any sort. Especially a .50. That's just asking for friendly fire and accidental killing of bystanders.

If you need something like that, that's what the National Guard is for. They tend to result in less collateral damage to civilians, because they're trained.

Aside from that, if someone is so serious a threat that they'd need to bring this in, it's one vehicle, probably an older one. And one guy with a Garand loaded with a box of old AP could probably take it down by aiming at the driver's area.

Chris

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 05:56:35 AM »
I used to serve on a grant committee for the local Sheriff's Department.  One time, they got approval for getting on the Fed. Ddollar a dozen M-14 rifles, select fire.  You know, with "da switch."  They wanted the rifles.  When I asked why, it was like someone turned on the big bright light.  The rifles were legal for civilian sale (Class III).  They had no use for the rifles, but could trade the rifles to a Class III dealer and get two new AR-15's with accessories for each M-14.

Not what they may have in minds down in S.C., 'cause it ain't P.C. for LEO's to sell off weapons any more.  But, there could be a reason.

That, or they may be preparing for Al Quaida to attack.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 06:00:38 AM »
That, or they may be preparing for Al Quaida to attack.

If that were the case, I'd think they'd want to order a case of Rem 700s and give the officers sniper training. Best way to take down a jihad-yelling AK-waving or suicide-vest-wearing terrorist would be through a scope, IMO. They tend to like to do that "human shield" thing, and a full-auto .50 cal wouldn't be helpful.

Not sexy enough for the police?

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 07:11:59 AM »
Am I correct in assuming this is wheeled?  Is it the same thing as the wheeled APC the Brazilian police use?  (Google "Peacemaker Armored Vehicle" and it's the third link or so down.)  Because I would LOVE to see a police department do all the maintenance to keep a tracked vehicle up and running.  I would make popcorn and sit down and watch that.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 07:23:42 AM »
Am I correct in assuming this is wheeled?  Is it the same thing as the wheeled APC the Brazilian police use?  (Google "Peacemaker Armored Vehicle" and it's the third link or so down.)  Because I would LOVE to see a police department do all the maintenance to keep a tracked vehicle up and running.  I would make popcorn and sit down and watch that.

I betcha a dollar it's a M113.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 07:29:11 AM »

You get your wish.

Here it is. M113A2

http://www.rcsd.net/media/mar08/03-05-peacemaker.html

They'll just hire a contractor to fix it, at taxpayer expense.

The armored personnel carrier (APC) will provide additional assets to the Special Response Team (SRT) as they deal with a wide array of threats to our citizens.

Holy ____ I'm glad I don't live there. Hail of .50's coming through your wall from the adrenaline-tripping non-military-trained cops opening up on a suspect's house with the thing on full auto...  shocked

Fascinating that they're all breaking firearms safety rules by aiming at the cameraman there. If they're that careful with the new toy, we're going to see on US soil what a line of 50 caliber bullets does to a (possibly innocent) human body.

Sheriff Lott stated that the name selected from the entries will be The Peacemaker because that is the APCs purpose and the bible refers to law enforcement in Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

O_o

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 07:47:18 AM »
I should also note, it seems like Sheriff Lott is a crazed wannabe absolute ruler addicted to technology. What the hell? Check this out.

After his 15-year old daughter was harassed by a gang of youths, British citizen Howard Stapleton resorted to extreme measures.  He invented a device which emitted an ultrasonic pulse, four times a second for up to twenty minutes.  The device's 17-18 kHz high-pitched buzz resembled a mosquito.  While the device was imperceptible to anyone past around the age of 25, to teens and children in caused pain and irritation. 
The device has sold largely to local officials and law enforcement agencies, who install the device at shops, schools and railway stations to prevent children and teens from congregating at unwanted hours.  Approximately 75 percent of sales, according to Compound Security Systems are to government bodies.  These agencies see the device as a valuable tool to eliminate gang activity.

Now the device is starting to invade the U.S.  In October of 2007 the Richland County Sheriff's Office in South Carolina became the first U.S. organization to deploy the device.  The test deployment included units being placed at the Columbia Mall, a popular youth hangout.  Compound Security Systems provided the test units free of charge to drum up business stateside.  The police Sheriff Leon Lott was ecstatic at the chance to deploy the technology, stating, "We want to be proactive, we want to have this in place before we have problems like New York, and Boston and New Orleans."

http://www.dailytech.com/Every+Geezers+Dream+British+Bring+Teen+Repellent+To+States/article10720.htm

What the HELL?! At a mall? So this will affect young children and babies, and cause them annoyance and pain? BTW, I can hear that "mosquito" tone, and so can some other adults. Get this clown out of office before someone gets hurt.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 07:48:30 AM »
Someone tell me now that we don't live in a police state ...   rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »
One of the St. Louis municipalities on the north side of Delmar has a belt-fed MG... And a population of a few hundred... Gotta wonder...

Betcha the thing gets called out for parades, etc... Because if it ever has to roll for real, a whole buncha stuff is going to have holes in it.

Blog under construction

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 08:45:13 AM »
where can a guy buy one of those noise makers?  be great to close down parties with

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 09:15:08 AM »
I try to stay away from threads on the militarization of the police since I was banned from THR.  But this is just wrong, on so many levels.  WTF does any police agency need with a BELT FED 50 cal. 
Wha' hell son. Caint ya ask sumpin a bit harder to ansuh? Ta control the proles uh course.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 10:22:30 AM »
Someone tell me now that we don't live in a police state ...   rolleyes

There is room up there in Montana....right?
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 11:46:47 AM »

Anyone got a Molotov cocktail handy?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.