Author Topic: The Ford Bronco Returns  (Read 7550 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Ford Bronco Returns
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »
Having had one in the past, I got really excited when I read the headline, then I read the article. Who in their right mind would pay $200K for a "bespoke" Bronco? I would get much more enjoyment out of restoring a real one, and could do it for a tenth of the price.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/11/04/ford-bronco-returns/?test=faces
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: The Ford Bronco Returns
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »
A first generation Bronco just ain't the real deal without the three on the tree shift  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
My second vehicle - and my first SUV - was an '84 Bronco I bought when I was living in Minnesota; since it had limited slip differentials both back and front, it was great when we had a blizzard. Kept it for a decade.

Paying >$150,000 for a redux of the original is just plain nuts.

($200,000 with options? What the heck kind of options are even available for a $150,000 SUV? Replacing the leather seats with genuine spotted owl hide? Swapping out the wood dash inlays with the contraband ebony rescued from Gibson Guitars before the Feds grabbed the wood?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
That picture just screams "rollover".
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »
Bespoke is one of those marketing words that makes me feel all stabby.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »
There are a few vehicles out there that I would spend $200K on, if I had the money to do so.  However, a new "old" Bronco isn't one of them.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
I miss my '85.  It was a good truck.

I think there's a market for a 2 door full size SUV, but the automakers seem to disagree.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »
I miss my '85.  It was a good truck.

I think there's a market for a 2 door full size SUV, but the automakers seem to disagree.

The first generation Broncos could hardly be called "full-size"  ;)

More along the lines of the Jeep CJ5 or IH Scout.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
It would be compared to a Scout more than a CJ5.  CJ's are totally different animals than Scouts and Broncos.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »
The first generation Broncos could hardly be called "full-size"  ;)

I know, but I was talking about my '85 Bronco.  Which most definatly was "full-size". Th

P5 Guy

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 02:03:23 PM »
All that and they put a gasser V8 in it [barf]
TDI diesel would have been my choice of motivator. :facepalm:

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
There are a few vehicles out there that I would spend $200K on, if I had the money to do so.  However, a new "old" Bronco isn't one of them.

This got me thinking...what do you get for 200k in the car market (neglecting aftermarket, or "X plus a bunch of money left over")...I had some trouble...Other than an r8 v10 and perhaps one or two 911 variants, there are very few cars in the 150-200k range.  There are many in the 100-150, and a bunch in the 200-250 range.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
This got me thinking...what do you get for 200k in the car market (neglecting aftermarket, or "X plus a bunch of money left over")...I had some trouble...Other than an r8 v10 and perhaps one or two 911 variants, there are very few cars in the 150-200k range.  There are many in the 100-150, and a bunch in the 200-250 range.

A numbers matching Superbird or Shelby Cobra would be towards the top of that list.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
I know, but I was talking about my '85 Bronco.  Which most definatly was "full-size". Th

Ok, let's talk about my 1965 GMC log truck  :lol:

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
A numbers matching Superbird or Shelby Cobra would be towards the top of that list.

Ah, I was thinking new cars/msrp.   Though, the latter would have to be a 289, I thought the 427's were way more than 200k.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »
Ah, I was thinking new cars/msrp.   Though, the latter would have to be a 289, I thought the 427's were way more than 200k.

250-ish, IIRC.  Don't know about the "new" ones Shelby is slowly putting out using the unused VINs from back in the day.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
Has anyone informed OJ?.....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »
The first generation Broncos could hardly be called "full-size"  ;)

I've had a Scout II and a full size Bronco. The Scout was "ahead of it's time" and IH made, in my opinion, some poor business choices with their smaller vehicle lines. The Scout II had a few design problems that lead to tendency to rust out but it was a hell for stout little rig. It had more useable cargo space than the full size Bronco.
Now days if I just have to "get there" I climb (literally) into the Kaiser.
I've got about $2K in it.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
I had a rental for a field project up in the WV mountains back in 1986.  It did pretty well overall.  It was new when I started using it in the woods, but it didn't stay new long.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 01:43:22 AM »
That's a lot of money for an ugly truckling.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 02:45:39 AM »
That's a lot of money for an ugly truckling.

It's weight makes it worth almost that much as scrap value. Had a rock crawler offer me $1k each for the Dana axles and $500 for the transfer case, I'm not sure if he was serious or not.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 02:57:47 AM »
thats a thing of beauty RKL!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 01:48:28 AM »
It's weight makes it worth almost that much as scrap value. Had a rock crawler offer me $1k each for the Dana axles and $500 for the transfer case, I'm not sure if he was serious or not.

???  I hope you don't think I meant your truck. I love your truck. I am considering killing you for your truck.

I meant the Bronco. What an eyesore.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »
Cool truck Larry.  I don't get the $200K Bronco. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
Yeah, RKL's ride is the bomb. I seriously want one. The first time he posted about it I started looking at them, but they seem to be rare in CA. There seem to be a lot of them in the Texas / Oklahoma region. It would be fun to buy one out that way that was mechanically sound and then take a week or so to drive it back home on secondary roads, camping and fishing along the way.

http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/m715.htm
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."