Author Topic: Build the Enterprise  (Read 7552 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Build the Enterprise
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
I guess I'm just G/spinny sensitive.
I rode the 'Mission to Mars' ride at Disney and screamed like a little girl the whole time- it felt like my eyes were getting sucked out the back of my head. Never again.

I rode it last year, went on the "hard" one, where you have a choice as the line splits. I was deeply disappointed that with all the millions Disney has at it's disposal, it was the best they could do.  =( Felt barely any better than the portable motion ride/shaker boxes in the mall. I think they toned it all down after some injuries or something. And I think the funky Fresnel lenses in front of the TV monitors might affect some folks more than others. Me? Most of the 3D stuff in movies or theme parks falls flat, probably because of my astigmatism. It's all a rather mediocre "2.5-D" experience for me at best. I have to wear the glasses to keep the images combined, and I can tell what's supposed to look like it's sticking out of the screen, but it doesn't really look it.

Anyway, that's WAY more than 2 RPM, more like 20 RPM, and going in a circle that's maybe only 5 meters in diameter.

A large station or this "Enterprise"... think more like a "revolving restaurant" pace of rotation that's the size of your average sports stadium. You might never notice unless you jumped a few times more than your body height.

Coriolis force off of a high-dive into a ship or space-station's pool would be very cool to see.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
...and escape pods must all be named HAL

???  I thought the computers would be called HAL.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »

???  I thought the computers would be called HAL.

No, the official crew uniform will just have a zipper fly, and in all official nomenclature they'll be called "pod bay doors".
I promise not to duck.