Poll

Are semiauto pistols commonly referred to as automatics?

Of course.
22 (33.3%)
No.
10 (15.2%)
Only in noir/hard-boiled stories.
9 (13.6%)
Only by old dudes.
19 (28.8%)
I call them auto-chuckers.
4 (6.1%)
I call them bottom-feeders.
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Automatics  (Read 7583 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Automatics
« on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:01 PM »
I called a semi-auto pistol an "automatic." Somebody corrected me.

Whaddyallthink?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:37:56 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Automatics
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:28:02 PM »
My impression is that it is more common among old dudes than among Gun Culture 2.0. I personally reserve the term "automatic" for when I am talking about fully-automatic firearms. If it shoots once per trigger pull I prefer to use "semi-automatic."
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »
I was talking mainly about pistols.

Don't people also refer to them as "autopistols"?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:39:58 PM »
Yes, sadly, I have to agree that it is an "old dude" thing, at least in gun culture. "Automatic" is mostly before my time. When I first got into guns, you heard some (older) guys say "automatic", but most of us younger guys just said "revolver" or "auto". In F2F conversation, at least with other intelligent people, I still refer to semi-autos as "autos" and they know what I mean. When I'm talking about fully automatic weapons, I usually specify "full-auto". So I definitely think there is a generational component. When writing I am more inclined to specify "semi-auto".

Antis and idiots of course, call everything "automatic".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:43:50 PM »
My previous post is my usual terminology both for pistols as well as long guns. Glock 18 = automatic. Glock 19 = semi-automatic. I can't say that I've ever (until now) heard them called "autopistols."
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 11:49:10 PM »
I can't say that I've ever (until now) heard them called "autopistols."

Maybe auto-loader is the term I was thinking of.

I can't quite see limiting "automatic" to guns that fire more than once per trigger pull. A Glock/1911/10-22 doesn't require any manipulation of its mechanism in order to load the next round. It reloads its chamber automatically. So there's really nothing wrong with saying that it's automatic, is there?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »
Dad was a pin shooter back in the day, his cohorts called them automatics and revolvers. I think its a older or regional saying. Also pistol=automatic, pistol did not equal revolver. I still call semi automatic handguns, automatics. 

Shotguns were either "pump", "automatic or autoloader", "double" or "single shot"
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:57:59 PM »
I think it comes back from the time they were called autoloading handguns/shotguns/rifles by the manufactures ages ago.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 12:06:26 AM »
I see "automatic" for something like a 1911 or BHP very often in fiction and nonfiction.  Mostly used by pre-1950's authors or those that tell period pieces set pre-1950.

I play the pedant often enough to accept "automatic" as an appropriate term for a semiautomatic handgun even though modern culture seems to have abandoned that term.  I sometimes even use the term myself.  Though that's usually after fixin' to reckon on something y'all done told me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »
I'm not opposed to using the term "automatic," it just doesn't come as naturally to me as "semi-auto."

My terminology preference is probably the result of my early exposure to firearms discussion. I grew up in a suburban household without guns and didn't grow up hearing them called automatics. When I first started hanging around gun culture on the Internet back in 2005-2006 some classification pedantry (probably inspired by memories of the recently-expired AWB and the attempt of politicians and the media to conflate fully-automatic NFA firearms with their semi-automatic variants) made a significant impression on me regarding classifying automatic-type firearms based on "shots per trigger pull" rather than on the loading action. Also, by this time, I'm pretty sure most manufacturers of pistols were using the term semi-automatic instead of automatic, so that's what I internalized.
Andy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »
I talk a lot about firearms to the general public that isn't as familiar with them.

Using "automatic" is just confusing to such peeps when you are trying to instill in them the fact that ARs, Glocks, AKs, etc are not full autos as the media loves to portray.

I've always called them "semi-autos" myself.

I do not use cutesy terms such as "bottom feeder", "shotty", "auto-chucker" and so on.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 12:32:06 AM »
I do not use cutesy terms such as "bottom feeder", "shotty", "auto-chucker" and so on.

I only say shotty when I'm rollin' wit' my homies in my hoody.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 01:41:51 AM »
I don't think I've ever called a pistol an automatic, actually I don't think I use the term automatic for semi or full-auto pistols or rifles.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 04:32:17 AM »
As suggested, it is from before there was an Old School.  Back then the full name was automatically loading pistol, and shortened to automatic by just about everybody because there were only revolvers, shotguns, Tommyguns, machineguns, and those automatically loading pistols.  While a bunch of folks had/carried around Tommyguns, almost nobody owned, let alone carried a Lewis gun and only an idiot would even admit to owning a Chauchat.  BARs were generally dumped in with machine guns but everybody knew they really weren't.

More recently (1970s?) and possibly in response to one of the many anti-gun laws folks seem to have gotten bitten by the automatic = machinegun bug and making a stink over pistols being semiautomatic as being important.  With the advent of the gamers the distinction seems to have become even more important so folks will know they are not death-dealing rampages just waiting for someone to leave the gate open so they can go out and shoot up the nearest mall.

I usually get all pedantic about the distinction only when the context indicates that some distinction needs to be made.  Being a wheelgun kind of person, that distinction comes up less often than someone wondering where the safety is on my hawgleg.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
I do refer to them as automatics, simply because it's easier to get my mouth around especially during a conversation with frequent references thereto.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »

Automatics for a semi-automatic pistol is more an "old guy" thing around here and pretty rare at that. If you say that, most folks will think you mean full-auto. Revolvers are called revolvers, near always. Only time I hear different is from revolver owners who call them wheel guns or six shooters. Semi-auto for when you are trying to make it clear you are referring to a semi-auto pistol.

Most kids today refer to "semi-automatic pistols" as "pistols", "handguns", or specific manufacturer (which leads to near all self-auto pistols being called Glocks by idiots). Revolvers are pretty much dying out in popularity.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »
.... Revolvers are pretty much dying out in popularity.

Well, so am I - but I aint there yet.

I've never heard the equivalent of "Because you suck.  And we hate you" or seen the equvalent of homeboy sights applied to a wheelgun.  And that tap/rack/bang stuff?  Just give the trigger another pull and there you are.  And while a cylinder-full and two moon clips may just add up to what you have stuffed in the handle, I'm not planning on fighting the Battle of Faluja all by myself and wonder why you are.  (If I am expecting to run into a riot, I'm bringing all my guns, and all my friends with all their guns.  But mostly if there is a chance of a riot I'll be going away instead to towards that area - something about not doing stupid things with stupid people in stupid places.)

None of this means I do not like bottom-feeders.  Heck, I even own a few myself. :angel:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
.45 ACP

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Automatics
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »
.45 ACP

;)

That's because it was named by an old dude. :P
Andy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
At 56, he was only semi-old  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »
Word usage shifts.  We don't want to be rambling like Grandpa Simpson talking about what things were called in 1930.

I've heard them all, used most.

"Shotty" for shotgun is annoying.  "Semi" (or worse "simi") for an autoloading handgun is doubly so.  It tells me I'm in the presence of someone both an idiot, and a poseur.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
Well, so am I - but I aint there yet.

I've never heard the equivalent of "Because you suck.  And we hate you" or seen the equvalent of homeboy sights applied to a wheelgun.  And that tap/rack/bang stuff?  Just give the trigger another pull and there you are.  And while a cylinder-full and two moon clips may just add up to what you have stuffed in the handle, I'm not planning on fighting the Battle of Faluja all by myself and wonder why you are.  (If I am expecting to run into a riot, I'm bringing all my guns, and all my friends with all their guns.  But mostly if there is a chance of a riot I'll be going away instead to towards that area - something about not doing stupid things with stupid people in stupid places.)

None of this means I do not like bottom-feeders.  Heck, I even own a few myself. :angel:

stay safe.

;/  If you like revolvers, then carry one (or three). Why y'all so prickly about it?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 12:29:22 PM »
"Shotty" for shotgun is annoying.  "Semi" (or worse "simi") for an autoloading handgun is doubly so.  It tells me I'm in the presence of someone both an idiot, and a poseur.

On the first bit, I agree. "Shotty" saves you no syllables. "Semi" saves you four syllables. I don't use that term, but it doesn't seem idiotic or poseur-ish to me.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
Word usage shifts.  We don't want to be rambling like Grandpa Simpson talking about what things were called in 1930.

I've heard them all, used most.

"Shotty" for shotgun is annoying.  "Semi" (or worse "simi") for an autoloading handgun is doubly so.  It tells me I'm in the presence of someone both an idiot, and a poseur.

Yeah, "shotty" just sets my teeth on edge for some reason.  Don't really care about the rest of it.  Never heard anybody say "simi"
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:38:25 PM by 41magsnub »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »
I think the new gun culture crowd are way too particular about naming things. Kind of like new money and old money crowds. New money is all about showing off how rich they are and old money is like, meh whatever. So the new gun folks are all uppity about proper terms (and open carrying in Starbucks  =) ) and the old school multi generation firearm enthusiasts are meh, whatever.

Uranus is a gas giant.