Author Topic: Racist debate  (Read 3421 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Racist debate
« on: June 05, 2010, 01:40:20 AM »
Tell me there wouldn't be marches and riots if there was a white candidates only debate.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/06/02/white-congressional-candidate-wants-to-participate-in-forum-but-is-told-she-can%E2%80%99t-because-she%E2%80%99s-not-black/#ixzz0pvdCN2RO
Because Liz Carter is white, she’s banned from debating Democrat Rep. Hank Johnson and the other black candidates running for his Georgia congressional seat at a candidate forum in Atlanta tonight.

The forum, moderated by Newsmakers Live, is solely for the black Republicans and Democrats running for Johnson’s 4th Congressional District seat, Carter took to the Internet to say.

Carter, a Republican, expressed her disappointment on Twitter Wednesday, asking, “What happened to diversity?”

“We called them, we asked to participate,” said Carter’s campaign manager, Cheryl Prater. But she said Newsmaker Live’s event moderator, Maynard Eaton, told the campaign that because Carter is white, she’s only allowed to sit in the audience and not participate.

Newsmakers Live is a black media organization, which according to its website has a “global urbane perspective” and publishes a weekly journal and video show that “embodies a unique ‘infotainment’ concept that specializes in intense interviewing of prominent personalities and political figures.” Its website includes videos titled, “Are Black Babies An Endangered Species,” and “Moving African-American Businesses to the Next Level.”

Maynard, the editor-in-chief of Newsmakers Live, did not immediately respond to a request for comment by e-mail. But a flier advertising the event’s guests only shows the photos of the three black Democrats and one black Republican running for the seat: Hank Johnson,Vernon Jones and Connie Stokes, all Democrats, and Republican candidate Cory Ruth.

“By inviting this black Republican, they’ve made it racial,” said Prater. There are a couple other white candidates who were not invited to the program, Prater said.

Carter, she said, has worked to garner black support in the heavily black district and was endorsed by the College Republicans at Atlanta’s predominantly black Morehouse College.

Tonight the candidate will at least make an attempt to get on stage. “We’re showing up,” Prater said.

This reliably Democratic district congressional district has been the subject of embarrassment over the years, as firebrand conspiracist Cynthia McKinney once held the seat. Among Johnson’s gaffes, he became an Internet sensation this year by suggesting, on camera during a congressional hearing, that the island of Guam could “tip over and capsize” due to overpopulation.

Georgia’s primary is on July 20.

longeyes

• friend
Re: Racist debate
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
I think in a very real sense "Guam" has already tipped over.  American politics has been floundering about underwater now for a long time.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:10:40 PM »
You can't accuse a minority of bigotry, that's rayciss.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
We have had lots of debates which excluded candidates. The League of Women Voters is famous for not inviting third party candidates, and our local public broadcasting station has excluded third party candidates as well. Ralph Nader was removed from the audience from a debate he was excluded from. While it's legal to exclude candidates from privately sponsored debates, it does not allow people to hear from all the candidates. I don't think it's right.

I remember a CNN Republican presidential debate hosted by Anderson Cooper where he didn't ask Huckabee or Paul very many questions. Huckabee and Paul even asked for more questions, but their requests were ignored. CNN also deleted/did not print comments on their live chat pertaining to their bias.

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »
So CNN acted exactly as we expect them to.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:26:01 PM »
We have had lots of debates which excluded candidates. The League of Women Voters is famous for not inviting third party candidates, and our local public broadcasting station has excluded third party candidates as well. Ralph Nader was removed from the audience from a debate he was excluded from. While it's legal to exclude candidates from privately sponsored debates, it does not allow people to hear from all the candidates. I don't think it's right.

I remember a CNN Republican presidential debate hosted by Anderson Cooper where he didn't ask Huckabee or Paul very many questions. Huckabee and Paul even asked for more questions, but their requests were ignored. CNN also deleted/did not print comments on their live chat pertaining to their bias.

Which thread did you mean to post this in?   ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:28:05 AM »

Except that misses the point entirely. They didn't exclude this person because they were a third party candidate, they excluded her because of the color of her skin. I seem to remember a big to-do back in the sixties that came to a head, because people were being excluded from certain things on the basis of such.

Lets not candy coat this, bigotry is bigotry, and it isn't a monopoly held only by those of West European decent. To act like those who happen to be the racial or ethnic minority in a certain geographical region are immune from holding prejudices simply because of their status as a minority in a certain geographical region is disingenuous at the least and opprobriously contemptuous at the worst.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:32:24 AM »
We have had lots of debates which excluded candidates. The League of Women Voters is famous for not inviting third party candidates, and our local public broadcasting station has excluded third party candidates as well.

Republican is a third party now?

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 01:33:23 AM »
kgbsquirrel, unfortunately that's been the name of the game fore a while and will be for a while longer.  We live in an era where white people=wrong, non-white=right.  It sucks that so many of the people who claimed to be against racism are actually for it so long as it benefits them.  There really isn't anything that can be done about it as any outcry against their racism will just be called racism on our parts.  But, no one ever said the world was a good place to live.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »
kgbsquirrel, unfortunately that's been the name of the game fore a while and will be for a while longer.  We live in an era where white people=wrong, non-white=right.  It sucks that so many of the people who claimed to be against racism are actually for it so long as it benefits them.  There really isn't anything that can be done about it as any outcry against their racism will just be called racism on our parts.  But, no one ever said the world was a good place to live.
The weird thing is that is only true because a lot of white people put with it or even support it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge