Author Topic: The "Red Line"  (Read 3414 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
The "Red Line"
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »
Ok, first I thought I had stumbled onto the Onion's website... but no. This is for realz.

Now Listen up children, look at the bomb Iran is making...

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/09/27/latest-dramatic-u-n-prop-netanyahus-bomb-drawing/
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: The "Red Line"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:38:09 AM »
I think he just had a firm grasp on the composition of his audience  =D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »
I think he just had a firm grasp on the composition of his audience

It seems he grossly overestimated his audience. :facepalm:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »
I think Mr. Correia gets a little too carried away with the whole "OMG!!! KRAAAZY Iran wants to bring the Apocalypse!!!" Of course there is always a risk of nuclear weapons being used between nuclear armed nations, but it's far from a certainty. And if you really want to talk about religious types wanting to bring about the apocalypse through a major war you should start looking at certain politically influential "Christian" groups in the US first, just saying.

As far as addressing people like four year olds, I don't think it will make them any more inclined to support initiating a military action that will guarantee setting off a wider regional, if not world war, not to mention oil prices that will finish off the World economy. People do understand what is going on, and they are just plain tired of being scared into war. War!, War!, War!...  it's just not as cool as it was 10 years ago.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »
And yet, scared or not, those wars just keep on comin', don't they?  All weapons will be used eventually.  Nuclear weapons have already been used.  Err on the side of paranoia, you'll live longer.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »
I think Mr. Correia gets a little too carried away with the whole "OMG!!! KRAAAZY Iran wants to bring the Apocalypse!!!" Of course there is always a risk of nuclear weapons being used between nuclear armed nations, but it's far from a certainty. And if you really want to talk about religious types wanting to bring about the apocalypse through a major war you should start looking at certain politically influential "Christian" groups in the US first, just saying.

As far as addressing people like four year olds, I don't think it will make them any more inclined to support initiating a military action that will guarantee setting off a wider regional, if not world war, not to mention oil prices that will finish off the World economy. People do understand what is going on, and they are just plain tired of being scared into war. War!, War!, War!...  it's just not as cool as it was 10 years ago.

You're right.

I'm just fed up with all this talk about war. I mean, the last war really cost us. And this country's leader doesn't really mean what he says, no one could be that crazy.

And, besides, he probably has a legitimate beef. I mean, he and his people have really been getting a raw deal since the last war.

Furthermore, all we really need is him to sign a treaty. Then we can be assured of "peace in our time."

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »

Wow, now there is a redirection if I ever saw one .
Instead of discussing talking about islamist leaders who have publicly declared that they want to wipe out the Jews and the State, lets talk about them pesky Christians. ;/

War is going to happen regardless if we get involved or not, what's at stake is the size and scope of the war.

Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 02:18:24 PM »
War is going to happen regardless if we get involved or not, what's at stake is the size and scope of the war.

And the size and scope of the aftermath and the effect on the rest of the world.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
And the size and scope of the aftermath fallout and the effect on the rest of the world.

FIFM. Much more appropriate word.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
You're right.

I'm just fed up with all this talk about war. I mean, the last war really cost us. And this country's leader doesn't really mean what he says, no one could be that crazy.

And, besides, he probably has a legitimate beef. I mean, he and his people have really been getting a raw deal since the last war.

Furthermore, all we really need is him to sign a treaty. Then we can be assured of "peace in our time."

Lulz.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »
Instead of discussing talking about islamist leaders who have publicly declared that they want to wipe out the Jews and the State, lets talk about them pesky Christians. ;/

We can talk about select Iranian statements all day long, their actions don't follow.

I think a big war becomes more likely the more the US Government gets involved. It is US foreign policy to take out all competing influence in the region. No room for a stalemate there.

So what exactly is the scope of a Israeli-US preemptive strike on Iran going to be? How limited do you suppose the ripples to be? How effective will it be at making the world safer?

Remember that after this Iran will have the PR cover, or excuse, of openly seeking out nuclear weapons to defend itself from external aggression. Maybe China or Russia will feel it necessary to get involved, to resume arms trade with Iran to keep balance in the region, avoid total US hegemony. Barring total annihilation, Iran will move forward with obtaining nuclear capability, maybe now with the reluctant patronage of external powers.

You see, a limited strike is not going to keep nuclear weapons out of Iran forever, and it might just make things more complicated. And yet here we go, getting ready to jump the gun, go at it all half-assed again, all based on the assertion that the Persians are all crazy and suicidal-like.

And which one of you is going to pick up the extra gas expenditures it takes to fill my tank once speculators begin driving the price of oil out of the atmosphere?  ;)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
We can talk about select Iranian statements all day long, their actions don't follow.

I think a big war becomes more likely the more the US Government gets involved. It is US foreign policy to take out all competing influence in the region. No room for a stalemate there.

So what exactly is the scope of a Israeli-US preemptive strike on Iran going to be? How limited do you suppose the ripples to be? How effective will it be at making the world safer?

Remember that after this Iran will have the PR cover, or excuse, of openly seeking out nuclear weapons to defend itself from external aggression. Maybe China or Russia will feel it necessary to get involved, to resume arms trade with Iran to keep balance in the region, avoid total US hegemony. Barring total annihilation, Iran will move forward with obtaining nuclear capability, maybe now with the reluctant patronage of external powers.

You see, a limited strike is not going to keep nuclear weapons out of Iran forever, and it might just make things more complicated. And yet here we go, getting ready to jump the gun, go at it all half-assed again, all based on the assertion that the Persians are all crazy and suicidal-like.

And which one of you is going to pick up the extra gas expenditures it takes to fill my tank once speculators begin driving the price of oil out of the atmosphere?  ;)

Or we can let Iran get nuclear weapons now and significantly increase the chances of a nuclear war in the region while simultaneously increasing the chances to 100% that Iran will begin more brazenly arming and supporting terrorists and client organizations in that region creating far more instability and increasing oil prices.

So, given that, I'll pay for your increased gas prices if we actually act to stop Iranian nuclear aims if you'll pay for my increased prices when we do nothing under this president and they get the bomb and turn their attention to completely destabilizing the region.

Deal?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Ahmadinejad, for all his awful flaws, had never said that he wants to wipe out the Jews.

He had repeatedly stated two things:

1. That he wants the Zionist regime to be overthrown (calling for it to fall in the 'same way in which the soviet Regime had fallen').

2. That if Israel attacks Iran, Iran will strike back with vicious force.

Does it reveal his secret desire to destroy Israel? Possibly. But he'd, at least, never openly said as much.

This has come up several times and every single time it has been beaten down as a deliberate mistranslation by the useful suspects.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
Ahmadinejad, for all his awful flaws, had never said that he wants to wipe out the Jews.
He had repeatedly stated two things:
1. That he wants the Zionist regime to be overthrown (calling for it to fall in the 'same way in which the soviet Regime had fallen').

How is he going to get one without the other?

2. That if Israel attacks Iran, Iran will strike back with vicious force.

Well that's at least one reasonable position Iran holds.

OTOH, when has appeasement ever worked?
When you pay the Danegeld, do the Danes stay away?

Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »

How is he going to get one without the other?

Teh jooz = teh banks.

I think the jewish banker stereotype is coming into play here, coupled with the fact that many international banking institutions are heavily populated with jewish folks.  And so the US/Saudi defense arrangement in exchange for the petrodollar is seen as further evidence of "teh jooz" being in charge of everything, including the US (Fed Reserve) being the Head of the SerpentTM

Over the decades the meaning behind the vernacular has been lost or selectively ignored, leaving only racial/national/religious hatred.

But he's going to get a toppling of "the Zionist regime" by toppling the global petrodollar.  As he sees it, at least.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
The faithless, not understanding faith, irrationally discount the faith of their enemies.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
Iran would not have many nuclear weapons if they did get them.
Israel likely has "many"
Israel has missile defense

Iran acquiring nuclear weapons is not a defensive action, since Israel has been invaded, etc and hasn't used it's own, it is an offensive one.  Their logic is a first strike (possibly not missile borne), call it "non state sponsored terrorists", and threaten all the other gulf states as accomplices to be attacked if Israel retaliates, thereby putting the stupid world on the side of "don't kill millions Israel"

And thus they achieve all their goals, as the then substantially weakened Israel would be vulnerable to conventional forces.

People seem to forget that Israel likely has sufficient nukes and delivery systems (aircraft and missiles) to gie themselves a nice buffer zone devoid of major cities over pretty much all of the middle east.

If they lost tel aviv to a nuke, do you think they would care who sent it, or would they simply eliminate ALL of their enemies.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »
Iran acquiring nuclear weapons is not a defensive action, since Israel has been invaded, etc and hasn't used it's own, it is an offensive one.  Their logic is a first strike (possibly not missile borne), call it "non state sponsored terrorists", and threaten all the other gulf states as accomplices to be attacked if Israel retaliates, thereby putting the stupid world on the side of "don't kill millions Israel"

This is what keeps being said, but you could make a good argument that there are sound defensive reasons why Iran might want the bomb. 

For a start, it puts "regime change" off the menu for the time being, at least in terms of military action taken against it by the West.  It also secures it - which is dont forget the only major Shia state of any consequence in the world - against the Sunni side of that particular argument, who already have the bomb, most of the money and nearly all of the nutcases willing to blow up mosques, churches, cinemas etc.  There is also the example of Libya - and Gaddafi - who dealt with the Western powers, ended his NBC programmes and ended up being dragged out of a sewer and beaten to death by an ad-hoc alliance of Islamists and the same Western states that Muammar dealt with earlier.

To put it another way, why wouldnt Iran want the bomb? 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »

If they lost tel aviv to a nuke, do you think they would care who sent it, or would they simply eliminate ALL of their enemies.

How many do they have?  How many would it take?  If they run short, or run out, what then?

Quote from: brimic
lets talk about them pesky Christians.

There are co-religionists of mine out there right now who expect Damascus to get nuked, because "its the next thing on the prophetic calendar".  If something like that happens, I expect them to be whoopin' and hollerin' in ecstatic joy.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »
There are co-religionists of mine out there right now who expect Damascus to get nuked, because "its the next thing on the prophetic calendar".  If something like that happens, I expect them to be whoopin' and hollerin' in ecstatic joy.

Like any population, some members necessarily need to be on the left end of the bell curve.

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
This is what keeps being said, but you could make a good argument that there are sound defensive reasons why Iran might want the bomb. 

For a start, it puts "regime change" off the menu for the time being, at least in terms of military action taken against it by the West.  It also secures it - which is dont forget the only major Shia state of any consequence in the world - against the Sunni side of that particular argument, who already have the bomb, most of the money and nearly all of the nutcases willing to blow up mosques, churches, cinemas etc.  There is also the example of Libya - and Gaddafi - who dealt with the Western powers, ended his NBC programmes and ended up being dragged out of a sewer and beaten to death by an ad-hoc alliance of Islamists and the same Western states that Muammar dealt with earlier.

To put it another way, why wouldnt Iran want the bomb? 
I have to agree with you there.  If they weren't funding anti-Israel terrorist groups and such, I would be more inclined to not care. However, I see the concern many have that if Iran is able to build nukes, then it is only a matter of time before they try to supply one to terrorists. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
War is ineveitable between Isreal and Iran.  Even if the dialogue does not match Iran's intent, they are going to learn a lesson or three.  Then we allow/invite these "people" to come over here and they tear down the USA for its free speech.  War is going to happen.  It is just a question as to how big a war it is and what weapons are involved.  If Isreal goes it alone, you can expect nuclear weapons to be used on Iran.  Isreal simply does not have the resources for a long term conventional war.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

agricola

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:31 PM »
I have to agree with you there.  If they weren't funding anti-Israel terrorist groups and such, I would be more inclined to not care. However, I see the concern many have that if Iran is able to build nukes, then it is only a matter of time before they try to supply one to terrorists. 

Perhaps, though of course one might point out that such state-funded terror groups usually dont end up being given the very best toys in a states arsenal, especially when the use of those weapons would probably mean the end of that state.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
I don't think they believe there will be an "end of state".  We will finally know for sure if Israel has nukes.  The USA probably gave them the nukes.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)