Author Topic: Save the children from their parents  (Read 3427 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Save the children from their parents
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 08:22:30 AM »
https://www.9news.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/calls-to-child-abuse-hotline-down-more-than-40-percent/73-6363085c-44f0-4ed1-bc87-005da652f59d

In the Denver area, not nationwide data.  The counter-argument is that since the kids aren't in school, abuse is harder to detect, similar to the claims in the first post.

Parental abuse.   School abuse is totally avoided.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 09:12:55 AM »
Yes, this is true.  And it is also true that some children are more at risk at school than at home.

I think the salient point is that no one suggests we ban public schools because of the risk there, whereas people may suggest banning homeschooling because of that risk.  Or rather, people who want to ban homeschooling anyway will use the risk to some children as their excuse.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I thought we were talking about starting up the public schools again because some of the kids that attend them are safer there than they are at home during the day.  Homeschoolers aren't part of that discussion; I'm not sure they are affected at all, unless the curriculums are coordinated with the local school district.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2020, 09:23:57 AM »
Yes, this is true.  And it is also true that some children are more at risk at school than at home.

I think the salient point is that no one suggests we ban public schools because of the risk there, whereas people may suggest banning homeschooling because of that risk.  Or rather, people who want to ban homeschooling anyway will use the risk to some children as their excuse.

If I was going to pick one, that's the way I would lean.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2020, 10:07:30 AM »
I think the real fear that academia is having is that without the constant indoctrination some kids might be taught critical thinking skills or even worse might actually learn to think for themselves.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2020, 10:17:31 AM »
I think the real fear that academia is having is that without the constant indoctrination some kids might be taught critical thinking skills or even worse might actually learn to think for themselves.

https://babylonbee.com/news/teachers-warn-parents-arent-properly-equipped-to-indoctrinate-children

And here's another: https://babylonbee.com/news/more-homeschoolers-arriving-at-college-woefully-unprepared-for-gender-studies :)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2020, 10:28:34 AM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/teachers-warn-parents-arent-properly-equipped-to-indoctrinate-children

And here's another: https://babylonbee.com/news/more-homeschoolers-arriving-at-college-woefully-unprepared-for-gender-studies :)

=D
When reached for comment on the situation, one local dad simply shrugged and continued his "Rifle Marksmanship and Constitutional Law" lesson to his 14 kids.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2020, 10:33:43 AM »
=D

When reached for comment on the situation, one local dad simply shrugged and continued his "Rifle Marksmanship and Constitutional Law" lesson to his 14 kids.

I have a new goal in life.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife