Author Topic: China quarantines an entire city  (Read 23880 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: China quarantines an entire city
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2020, 09:06:42 PM »
I live in Hurricane country so people say to keep 2 or 3 weeks of food handy along with some water.  Just some extra dry food in the pantry goes a long way.  But yes, if you don't have it in the first place, not being able to get it would suck. 

Super easy to keep at least a week's worth of food around without going into MRE territory. There's lots of stuff people eat regularly that makes good emergency food: An extra few bags of pasta, an extra few bags of rice, a dozen cans of beans or chili or soup. All cheap to buy with long shelf life. Couple that with what you have in your fridge, and you can do alright.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2020, 09:47:30 PM »
I am low in prep food now, but beyond the usual overstock of cans, few garden veggies still hanging in there I have 15lbs of rice and 24 cans of Mountain House food. Be nicer if I had more chicken food, about 2 weeks on hand and if no health officials decided to kill all birds.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2020, 10:52:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5yjltuxB_Q

China builds disinfectant tunnel to stand in on the way to work.  There's more videos floating around of other versions as well.

I almost hope this panic hits the States so I can watch Vegan California workers being told to walk through a tunnel of chemical disinfectant to go to work.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2020, 11:02:04 PM »
https://i.redd.it/hogqn1wf2nf41.png

https://i.redd.it/88osl54prjf41.png

Everyone go back and read these links, blow them up on a large screen if you have to. Connect the *expletive deleted*ing dots.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2020, 11:47:03 PM »

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2020, 09:16:03 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5yjltuxB_Q

China builds disinfectant tunnel to stand in on the way to work.  There's more videos floating around of other versions as well.

I almost hope this panic hits the States so I can watch Vegan California workers being told to walk through a tunnel of chemical disinfectant to go to work.
They might need that just due to the diseases from all the human waste everywhere. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
For those with the opinion that this is "TIKIWIKI~!~!!!!@", we have a cruise ship quarantined in the Bay of Japan which will provide excellent data on the virulence and morbidity associated with this coronavirus.

We don't have to trust China's numbers, we have an experiment running in a trustworthy country right now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2020, 09:56:26 AM »
Everyone go back and read these links, blow them up on a large screen if you have to. Connect the *expletive deleted*ing dots.
Stupid question for today:  what do you recommend we do?  I feel the most likely result so far will be trade disruption.  Other than that, I just want to make sure I have a little food and water to get by and make sure I am eating decent nutrition so I am not as susceptible to illness.  What else do you have in mind? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2020, 10:22:33 AM »
"what do you recommend we do?"

Why, die coughing and starving while running around like a panic stricken rabbit, of course.

I'm still waiting for the last Ebola epidemic to kill me off by causing all of my blood to squirt out of my various bodily holes. That was the last panic WE GONNA DIE!!!! rant... now there's another Ebola epidemic going on in Africa (has been for some time) and no one is batting an eyelash.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »
I'm still waiting for the last Ebola epidemic to kill me off by causing all of my blood to squirt out of my various bodily holes. That was the last panic WE GONNA DIE!!!! rant... now there's another Ebola epidemic going on in Africa (has been for some time) and no one is batting an eyelash.

Of note, we don't have Ebola victims (known to be infected before leaving Africa!) coming into this country and infecting medical workers, who then go dress shopping in another state to infect salespeople there.

THANKFULLY, that ended without spreading much further because Ebola is harder to spread.

Now, as you can guess from my posts, I'm not concerned this is a world-ending plague, either. But the last Ebola epidemic was a little more concerning as it actually did make its way to this country. (As this virus has, as well, but our medical apparatus appears to be handling this one properly.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2020, 10:38:44 AM »
"Of note, we don't have Ebola victims (known to be infected before leaving Africa!) coming into this country and infecting medical workers, who then go dress shopping in another state to infect salespeople there."

Yet.

It will happen.

But, the truly important fact about Corona Virus?

The common every day influenza is several magnitudes of order more deadly. *expletive deleted*it, we had a perfectly happy, healthy 16 year old girl contract the flu and die 3 days later here in Northern Virginia. Not the Corona with Lime flu, not the Kung Flu, just regular old flu.

No one panics about the flu. But it's a lot worse...

From the CDC...

"While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."

And yes, people are getting their rabbit holes in a tight clench over Corona, because it's new and different and, most importantly, it's in the goddamned news cycle 24x7. And in the cubicle just across the way, Fred Fudnuk has been spreading common flu to his coworkers, but he won't know he's sick for another day.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2020, 10:45:06 AM »
Of note, we don't have Ebola victims (known to be infected before leaving Africa!) coming into this country and infecting medical workers, who then go dress shopping in another state to infect salespeople there.

THANKFULLY, that ended without spreading much further because Ebola is harder to spread.

Now, as you can guess from my posts, I'm not concerned this is a world-ending plague, either. But the last Ebola epidemic was a little more concerning as it actually did make its way to this country. (As this virus has, as well, but our medical apparatus appears to be handling this one properly.)

Google 'Reston Ebola'- there was a small Ebola outbreak in the US about 25-30 years ago, luckily, the strain wasn't airborne nor deadly. Once again, it was due to hubris in people being overconfident in screwing with things they shouldn't be screwing with.

Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
"Of note, we don't have Ebola victims (known to be infected before leaving Africa!) coming into this country and infecting medical workers, who then go dress shopping in another state to infect salespeople there."

Yet.

It will happen.

But, the truly important fact about Corona Virus?

The common every day influenza is several magnitudes of order more deadly. *expletive deleted*it, we had a perfectly happy, healthy 16 year old girl contract the flu and die 3 days later here in Northern Virginia. Not the Corona with Lime flu, not the Kung Flu, just regular old flu.

No one panics about the flu. But it's a lot worse...

From the CDC...

"While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."

And yes, people are getting their rabbit holes in a tight clench over Corona, because it's new and different and, most importantly, it's in the goddamned news cycle 24x7. And in the cubicle just across the way, Fred Fudnuk has been spreading common flu to his coworkers, but he won't know he's sick for another day.

Several million people get flu every year. Its death rate is about .1%

That sucks if you or a loved one is part of that 1/10th of a percent, but it's an understandable and manageable disease.

Early reports suggest this virus has a death rate about 2%. (As noted, we have an unintended experiment running on a cruise ship which may provide better data soon.)

The death rate from the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918 was 2.5%. IF this disease were to spread AND IF the preliminary report of death rates is accurate, we're talking several orders of magnitude in deaths versus flu.

Flu is not "more deadly", it just infects far more people than this one has so far.

So, yes, be wary, but don't panic. It's not "in the wild" on this continent yet and we're not even sure how bad it really is. (Because Communist China's data can't really be trusted about anything.)

Addition: I think that last statement is a big part of the fear. Nobody trusts the Chinese government, (even their own citizens!) so everyone is believing the worst.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2020, 11:11:49 AM »
I've also not seen anyone seriously countering the reports that Asians who have more ACE2 receptors are more vulnerable.  It could be complete crap, or their ACE2 exposure could be because of lots of smoking and second hand smoke, shrug... duno.

On the other hand, all the sites talking about the ACE2 factor seem to be "off the beaten path" a bit.  [tinfoil]

I'm kind of amazed it hasn't run through India like wildfire yet.

But my gut feeling is that while numbers are much higher than the Chicoms are reporting, they're still lower than what the conspiracy rumormongers on twitter are spreading. And that lower population density, and more European and non-Asian genes and receptors might make it a nothingburger here in the U.S.
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »
I've also not seen anyone seriously countering the reports that Asians who have more ACE2 receptors are more vulnerable.  It could be complete crap, or their ACE2 exposure could be because of lots of smoking and second hand smoke, shrug... duno.

On the other hand, all the sites talking about the ACE2 factor seem to be "off the beaten path" a bit.  [tinfoil]

I'm kind of amazed it hasn't run through India like wildfire yet.

But my gut feeling is that while numbers are much higher than the Chicoms are reporting, they're still lower than what the conspiracy rumormongers on twitter are spreading. And that lower population density, and more European and non-Asian genes and receptors might make it a nothingburger here in the U.S.

I suspected (and checked to confirm w/the CDC) that, like colds and flu, coronaviri tend to spread more in the Winter/Fall time. (You can catch it at any time, but there's a reason we call it "Flu season")

That's another mitigating factor. We are soon headed out of the best time for such a virus to spread in this country, so it may very well play out before it can spread here. Might suck for Australia, though.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2020, 11:18:47 AM »
The Flu comparison is getting to be a rediculous trope. It kills a lot of people- but almost all of those people have severe chronic diseases already or are within months of or a tiny shove in the wrong direction of dying a natural death anyway.

Barack Obama

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2020, 11:25:52 AM »
Apparently, China just changed the way it reports the numbers of people infected to include those with mild symptoms, "clinical cases."  Previously they had been only reporting severe cases.  This seems likely to reduce the death rate percentage overall.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2020, 11:36:25 AM »
If if if if if if...

Oh, and if...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2020, 12:07:37 PM »
"Several million people get flu every year. Its death rate is about .1%

That sucks if you or a loved one is part of that 1/10th of a percent, but it's an understandable and manageable disease.

Early reports suggest this virus has a death rate about 2%. "

The problem is, those numbers are comparing apples to orangutans.

The death rate in the UNITED STATES is about .1% But, no one has any real idea what the influenza death rate is in China because they use significantly different reporting methods and, in large part, they're not exactly forthcoming with a lot of their numbers.

Some stuff I've seen says there's some evidence that the influenza death rate in China, on an annualized basis, is between 2 to 3%, or right where the alleged death rate of Coronavirus is (others say higher, others lower, no matter what, it's largely a guess).

What we may well be seeing overall, however, and in both the case of influenza and Corona, is the vast differences in overall access to, and type of, medical care. That means that what serves up a death rate of 2% in China might well have a far lower death rate in other parts of the world where supportive medical care is more advanced.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »

Some stuff I've seen says there's some evidence that the influenza death rate in China, on an annualized basis, is between 2 to 3%, or right where the alleged death rate of Coronavirus is (others say higher, others lower, no matter what, it's largely a guess).

What we may well be seeing overall, however, and in both the case of influenza and Corona, is the vast differences in overall access to, and type of, medical care. That means that what serves up a death rate of 2% in China might well have a far lower death rate in other parts of the world where supportive medical care is more advanced.

Now that is an interesting thought.

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »
Don't want to start a separate argument, but weren't the ebola cases in the US in the last 10 years because we transported sick people into the US and didn't put them in a high security disease location?  Which resulted in a nurse catching it among a couple others?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2020, 12:38:16 PM »
I also wonder how many uninfected people in China were needlessly exposed to the virus as they were hauled off to some of the horrifying quarantine centers and placed in general pop.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2020, 12:40:36 PM »
"The Flu comparison is getting to be a rediculous trope. It kills a lot of people- but almost all of those people have severe chronic diseases already or are within months of or a tiny shove in the wrong direction of dying a natural death anyway."

And who's to say that isn't the exact same way Corona is killing its victims?

Old man Wu got himself Corona virus and dies. But he was also struggling with chronic emphysema. OMG! CORONA!

Little girl Lin contracts Corona virus and dies. But she as also struggling mightily with leukemia. OMG! CORONA!

The flu comparison is being made because it's directly on point. Corona and flu have very similar mechanisms and actions in the body, and both lead to largely the same symptoms and, eventually, cause of death.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2020, 12:49:50 PM »
Google 'Reston Ebola'- there was a small Ebola outbreak in the US about 25-30 years ago, luckily, the strain wasn't airborne nor deadly. Once again, it was due to hubris in people being overconfident in screwing with things they shouldn't be screwing with.

That strain of Ebola also doesn't infect humans.

The bestseller "The Hot Zone" was a really interesting, sometimes quite scary, review of the different hemhorragic (sp?) viruses and went into detail about the response to the Reston incident.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »
Here we go. Pretty good rundown on flu and Corona...

https://www.ynhhs.org/patient-care/urgent-care/flu-or-coronavirus