Author Topic: Officials seek power to take over financial institutions  (Read 7733 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Officials seek power to take over financial institutions
« on: March 25, 2009, 02:22:28 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090325/ap_on_bi_ge/bailout_bernanke_geithner

Officials seek new power over financial companies
AP

By JEANNINE AVERSA, AP Economics Writer Jeannine Aversa, Ap Economics Writer – 2 hrs 2 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Pointing with dismay to the AIG debacle, the nation's top economic officials argued Tuesday for unprecedented powers to regulate and even take over financial goliaths whose collapse could imperil the entire economy. President Barack Obama agreed and said he hoped "it doesn't take too long to convince Congress."

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, in a rare joint appearance before a House committee, said the messy federal intervention into American International Group, an insurance giant, demonstrated a need to regulate complex nonbank financial institutions just as banks are now regulated by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

"AIG highlights broad failures of our financial system," Geithner told the House Financial Services Committee. "We must ensure that our country never faces this situation again."

But the two appeared divided over where the authority should reside. Geithner suggested his Treasury Department's powers be expanded. Bernanke was noncommittal, even suggesting the FDIC.

Both officials sought to channel the widespread public outrage over the millions of dollars AIG spent in post-bailout bonuses into support for regulatory overhaul. Geithner was expected to lay out more details on the administration's plan Thursday when he appears again before the committee.

Democrats in the Senate say the administration wants the proposal on taking over non-banks to move separately from the larger financial industry regulatory bill, to get it going more quickly.

At the White House, Obama told reporters, "We are already hard at work in putting forward a detailed proposal. We will work in consultation with members of Congress. That will be just one phase of a broader regulatory framework that we're going to have to put in place to prevent these kinds of crises from happening again."

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., the committee chairman, said that "when nonbank major financial institutions need to be put out of their misery, we need to give somebody the authority to do what the FDIC can do with banks."

The government has given AIG over $180 billion in bailout funds since it first intervened last Sept. 16. The U.S. now owns nearly 80 percent of the giant insurer.

"If a federal agency had had such tools on Sept. 16, they could have been used to put AIG into conservatorship or receivership, unwind it slowly, protect policyholders and impose haircuts on creditors and counterparties as appropriate," Bernanke said.

Both Geithner and Bernanke told the panel they did not become aware of the $165 million in AIG bonuses until March 10, just days before the payments were made. However, lower-level officials at both agencies were aware of the payments.

At the time of the first AIG bailout, Geithner was the president of the New York Fed, which helped oversee the government intervention.

AIG is a globally interconnected colossus, with 74 million customers and operations in more than 130 countries.

"Its failure could have resulted in a 1930s-style global financial and economic meltdown, with catastrophic implications for production, income and jobs," Bernanke told the panel.

Bernanke said it was "highly inappropriate to pay substantial bonuses" in such a situation. He said he had asked that the payments be stopped but was told that they were mandated by contracts.

"I then asked that suit be filed to prevent the payments," he said.

But Bernanke said his legal staff counseled against this action "on the grounds that Connecticut law provides for substantial punitive damages if the suit would fail."

Separately, Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said the Fed "never contacted me or my office concerning the applicability of the Connecticut wage law to the AIG bonuses. If the Fed had called, we would have given the green light for litigation blocking these unconscionable bonuses."

Dealings between Congress and Geithner have been tense. But they were a little more relaxed in the afterglow of Monday's nearly 500-point surge in the Dow Jones industrials, though the Dow gave back about 116 points on Tuesday. The rise came in large part in response to the administration's unveiling of a public-private program to buy up to $1 trillion in bad loans and toxic mortgage-related securities clogging bank balance sheets.

Still, there were a few pointed exchanges Tuesday.

Rep. Paul Kanjorski, D-Pa., warned Geithner about any requests by the Obama administration for more taxpayer money to support financial bailouts.

"I assume that you recognize there's not an awful lot of sympathy up here to necessarily provide additional funds — not going on the merits of whether the funds are necessary," he said.

"We recognize it will be extraordinarily difficult," Geithner acknowledged.

Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif., told Geithner: "What I fear here is that we are doing a kabuki theater in three acts.

"The first act: Washington tells the American people, `We understand your anger at Wall Street.' In the second act, we nitpick to death any proposal that actually adversely affects Wall Street. And then, in the third act, we bestow another trillion dollars on Wall Street under extremely favorable terms."

Geithner made it clear he believes the treasury secretary should be granted broad powers — after consultation with Federal Reserve officials — to take control of a major financial institution and run it. The treasury chief is an official of the administration, unlike the FDIC, which is an independent regulatory agency.

AIG has become a symbol of reckless risk-taking on Wall Street. The bonuses came even as AIG reported a stunning $62 billion fourth-quarter loss, the biggest in U.S. corporate history. The government has bailed out AIG four times, to the tune of more than $180 billion altogether.

New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said Monday that 15 employees who received some of the largest bonuses from AIG have agreed to return the money, totaling about $50 million.

The House last week voted overwhelmingly to slap 90 percent taxes on the largest bonuses. But Republicans in the Senate are blocking similar legislation, and White House reaction to the legislation has been tepid at best.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told reporters on Tuesday Democrats were considering other alternatives.

"The issue is not over," he said.

But House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., said, "If the money is returned, the legislation may no longer be necessary."

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said Geithner should get credit for trying to fix the financial system.

"That's the real issue. And at least he's grappling with that," McConnell said.

___

Associated Press writers Martin Crutsinger, Ben Feller and Anne Flaherty contributed to this report.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Officials seek power to take over financial institutions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 02:25:36 AM »
My commentary: there it is folks. Fed.gov wants to socialize Wall Street. And after the burning of the Reichstag AIG bonus "scandal" (Oh teh noes, they fulfilled their contractual obligations?!?!) the sheep will applaud. I so wish I still drank right about now.....

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:34:49 AM »
I don't read Newsweek, so is that cover for real?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:37:50 AM »
I don't read Newsweek, so is that cover for real?

Yep, from a couple months ago. I didn't believe it at first either.

We are so very, very screwed.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:43:26 AM by Balog »

ronnyreagan

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 08:51:34 AM »
financial goliaths whose collapse could imperil the entire economy.

I think it would be a much easier and better solution to stop a company from ever becoming "too big to fail."
I doubt that would be a popular solution either though. :mad:
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
I agree with that.  I would think antitrust legislation and preventing more of these mega mergers would be a better way to limit this stuff.  Capitalism is supposed to have large numbers of competitors, not a handful.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »
I agree with that.  I would think antitrust legislation and preventing more of these mega mergers would be a better way to limit this stuff.  Capitalism is supposed to have large numbers of competitors, not a handful.

>.<

You know what causes there to be few competitors in the financial system?

MASSIVE GOVERNMENT REGULATION. The government puts so many requirements and restrictions on banks and insurance companies that it is VERY difficult to open a new one.

Thus, the government is causing the problem of "monopolies" and our answer is to use the government to prevent monopolies!?!?

>.<
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
$#!+ like this makes me pat the gun on my hip, feeling that it's there, for comfort.  Completely useless comfort against evil like this, but at least it's something.  This is heart-wrenchingly terrifying and I mean that quite sincerely.

I don't see how the Dow can be up nearly 200 points in light of such a revelation from DC.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »
>.<

You know what causes there to be few competitors in the financial system?

MASSIVE GOVERNMENT REGULATION. The government puts so many requirements and restrictions on banks and insurance companies that it is VERY difficult to open a new one.

Thus, the government is causing the problem of "monopolies" and our answer is to use the government to prevent monopolies!?!?

>.<

Yep, it raises the barrier to entry by new players.

All heavy anti-trust regs would do is ossify the present big players in place and ensure that there is no one else in the middle tier to pick up the pieces when (not if) one of the ossified big boys takes it in the jimmy. 

THAT is what causes us to see some companies as "too big to fail."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ronnyreagan

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »
All heavy anti-trust regs would do is ossify the present big players in place and ensure that there is no one else in the middle tier to pick up the pieces when (not if) one of the ossified big boys takes it in the jimmy.

So are you against all anti-trust regs, or just incredibly poorly designed ones? If they don't affect the big players already in place that are too big to fail then of course they won't do much good. That's not much of an argument against effective anti-trust regulation, that's more of an easily defeated straw-man.

Also, are there any specific requirements and restrictions on banks that are blocking entry by new players you'd like to mention? I'm not very familiar with what it takes to open a bank and while I wouldn't be surprised by over regulation, some specifics would be a lot more convincing that the problem is rooted there.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
Okay, I am not necessarily saying we need new anti-trust regs.  It was just a comment that Obama could use a different avenue to do what he wants rather than trying to get an entirely new power to seize companies.  That seizure power could be severely misused. 

I'd have no problem with some reasonable deregulation.  I do agree that often govt regulation is our own worst enemy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 11:48:49 AM »
Okay, I am not necessarily saying we need new anti-trust regs.  It was just a comment that Obama could use a different avenue to do what he wants rather than trying to get an entirely new power to seize companies.  That seizure power could be severely misused. 

I'd have no problem with some reasonable deregulation.  I do agree that often govt regulation is our own worst enemy. 

What makes you think seizing control of industry isn't what Obama et al want?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »
I'm waiting for the follow-up story:

PEOPLE SEEK POWER TO TAKE OVER GOVERNMENT

Why are we surprised by any of this?  it's the history of the world, and history, contrary to some pundits, didn't end in 1989.

But this isn't over, by any stretch of the imagination.  History is littered with the remains of hubris.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »
What makes you think seizing control of industry isn't what Obama et al want?
I think that is exactly what they want, but I didn't actually say it.  :)  That would be a hell of a threat to get companies to play ball wouldn't it? 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 02:59:06 PM »
I think that is exactly what they want, but I didn't actually say it.  :)  That would be a hell of a threat to get companies to play ball wouldn't it? 

Been thinking about this... I foresee significant Constitutional challenges to this one.  Eminent Domain ain't gonna cut it in this case.  Even in the face of Kelo and its recent effect on takings to benefit the tax base indirectly via government transfer to a private developer.

This is a gun to the head of every CEO or boardroom.  "Perform, or else!"  Especially when the same hand weilding the gun can also tie your hands behind your own back with industry-killing regulation.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 11:14:49 PM »
Not exactly a good time for Ruth Bader Ginsburg to be sick.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »
Not exactly a good time for Ruth Bader Ginsburg to be sick.

Why?  Would she not just be replaced with someone much like her in ideology?  What would be the difference?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 01:32:54 AM »
Yes, but it would have been better if she'd been sick two years ago, or if she could last until 2013.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »
Yes, but it would have been better if she'd been sick two years ago, or if she could last until 2013.

She has been diagnosed back then. She decided to tough it out in the fear that Bush will appoint some arch-right-winger. I expect she'll retire before Obama leaves.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
She has been diagnosed back then. She decided to tough it out in the fear that Bush will appoint some arch-right-winger. I expect she'll retire before Obama leaves.

The way this congress is going, she'll retire before 2010.
--Lysander Spooner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »
Been thinking about this... I foresee significant Constitutional challenges to this one.  Eminent Domain ain't gonna cut it in this case.  Even in the face of Kelo and its recent effect on takings to benefit the tax base indirectly via government transfer to a private developer.

This is a gun to the head of every CEO or boardroom.  "Perform, or else!"  Especially when the same hand weilding the gun can also tie your hands behind your own back with industry-killing regulation.
The other problem is why would someone invest stock in a company that might be seized?  If you think stock holders panic and sell off some stocks now, wait until they have to worry about govt seizure. 

The other constitutional issue to me is Eminent Domain requires compensation.  Will all stockholders be compensated?  If not, then this has to be entirely separate. 

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
Will result in further consolidation of the financial bidness.  Joe and Martha may be scared off for fear of fed.gov bigfooting a company they invested in.  All the while those in the know and with proper access to decision makers will feel no fear in investing because they will know with a high degree of certainty fed.gov's moves in advance.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 05:44:57 PM »
"You do not examine legislation in light of the benefits it will convey when properly administered, but in light of the wrongs it will do and, harms it will cause, when improperly administered." --Author unknown

Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
"You do not examine legislation in light of the benefits it will convey when properly administered, but in light of the wrongs it will do and, harms it will cause, when improperly administered." --Author unknown

Great quote.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 09:16:39 PM »
I recall a quote about getting to write the laws your worst enemies would use against you...
D. R. ZINN