Author Topic: Anyone ever use a telescoping ladder?  (Read 940 times)

mhdishere

• friend
Anyone ever use a telescoping ladder?
« on: March 24, 2006, 05:24:41 AM »
I need to get a ladder to use for access to my attic.  Because the opening is in a very small bathroom I'm thinking of getting one of those telescoping ladders like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DI80Q/102-0747128-3347320?v=glance&n=228013

If these things are any good it would be perfect, it's small enough to get into the bathroom then extend it up thru the opening.

There's no room for a normal folding attic ladder/stair, and a step ladder tall enough to reach the opening safely won't fit in there either.  I've been up there using a six-foot step ladder (still not completely opened), getting down and finding the top step with your foot isn't fun.

The way I'd use it the bottom of the ladder would be against the wall, the other in the opening, so I'm not worried about the ladder slipping on the tile floor.

Thoughts?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 05:28:28 AM »
That thing looks scary!

I guess it would be pretty safe how you discribe using it, if you are with in the weight limits of the ladder.

We used to use a 8' folding ladder to access the attic in the home I grew up in. The top step would stick up about a foot into the attic.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 04:47:46 AM »
Well, I went out on Saturday and bought the thing at Home Depot, and it works fine.  It's a little shakey (heck, there's a telescoping joint at every rung!) but it seems to do the job, and I can actually get it into that tiny bathroom with no problem and extend it thru the hatch.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 05:14:02 AM »
It would be a little more work, but you can make an access someplace else.  Mine is in the hallway, but I have seen accesses on the end of the houses.

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 07:08:33 AM »
Desertdog,
My wife actually wanted to do that, but the only other access would be thru the master bedroom ceiling (the attic is only over that addition to the house), which is a dropped ceiling and I'd rather not hassle with that.  It's a small space, good for storage and worthless for anything else.  The telescoping ladder is about the best solution I've found, and I've been looking for one for five years.