Author Topic: Haven't cleaned guns for a year - have I damaged them?  (Read 1747 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Haven't cleaned guns for a year - have I damaged them?
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:44:55 AM »
Those of you following events know I'm coming out of an ugly depression, and I didn't have the energy or interest in shooting for a year. I put my guns up dirty, as I was in a heavy shooting phase when things went to hell a year ago, and just left them.

I got out my .357 today and the cartridges were sticking to the cylinder from some minor corrosion.

How badly have I damaged them?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
Get 'em cleaned up real good and you'll know.  Inspect for pitting.  Cartridges sticking in the cylinder could be several things, but only a good scrubbin' with a bronze brush will tell if there is damage to the metal.

If the guns were clean and lubed before you shot them last, they're probably ok.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:09:50 PM »
I've had a gun or two that went a long time (more than a year) without cleaning.  They were a little harder to clean when I got around to it, but they looked fine after it was done.
For entertainment purposes only.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »
I can't imagine anything being wrong with them if there wasn't a moisture problem and assuming you did not use older, corrosive ammo.  I don't clean some of my guns for 6 months at a time and use them frequently.  I used to be anal about it but with the amount of lead I put down range now, I'd spend hours every week cleaning.  Now they just get a few drops of oil every now and again and a thorough cleaning when I get around to it.

Greg

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 05:08:15 PM »
Yes, you have.  But I need some interesting paperweights at work, so just send them to...

Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.