Author Topic: What hell? I just got a breaking news alert that a Congressman has been shot?  (Read 31762 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
OK, sure. Open source intelligence is still intelligence, though. Did someone suggest it to him as a likely place?

Who knows, but if he found that out and then used Google Earth/Maps he could probably draw up a plan (good/bad).
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Chester32141

• friend
Has anyone else been wondering how he knew where to find a bunch of GOP Congressmen in a vulnerable position?  [tinfoil]

The NY Times ran an article back in April that mentioned the early morning practice sessions.  He moved from his home state to live in the YMCA shortly after reading the article ... The info was not exactly top secret so he may have been able to find it any number of places ...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/06/ny-times-tipped-off-shooter-gop-practice-field/
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The NY Times ran an article back in April that mentioned the early morning practice sessions. 

Oh, OK.

I didn't say the shooter was privy to confidential information. It's just interesting that someone from well outside the Beltway knew that a bunch of Congressmen would be at that place, at that time. Being outside the Beltway myself, I don't know whether security was more or less present there. I wonder if the shooter knew.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Triphammer

• friend
My understanding is that if Scalise wasn't there, neither would security .

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'

Correct.  As Rand Paul pointed out, without Scalise's security, the attack would have been a massacre.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend

I think I, and others, have pointed that out about 10 times in this thread.  =)

If Mr. Trigger-happy was getting his ideas from that NYT article, it's interesting that he chose an event where he was assured security would be present.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'

it's interesting that he chose an event where he was assured security would be present.

You're assuming that he was aware of security being present.  He may have been guilty of poor intel gathering.  Or he simply didn't care.

Semi-related: I take it this loser didn't leave anything in the way of a manifesto.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend

I think I, and others, have pointed that out about 10 times in this thread.  =)

If Mr. Trigger-happy was getting his ideas from that NYT article, it's interesting that he chose an event where he was assured security would be present.

But he didn't choose an event where security would be assured. Unless he had information that Scalise or Ryan would be there, he was pretty well secure in assuming that security would NOT be present.  I didn't know Scalise was on the team ... and I didn't know that he rated a 24/7 security detail.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
You guys are missing something.

I'm talking about the notion that he was informed by the NYT article, which some have claimed. The article said there was security at the practices. It didn't say anything about leadership being there.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Up until this incident, I had no idea that any member of Congress had a security detail at any time. Other then the law enforcement stationed inside the legislative chambers and office buildings.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
The home page for the Bing search engine has multiple tabs at the bottom of the page, linking to featured news stories. For the past couple of days they've had Bruce Jenner's photo on the first page, due to his comments on the assassination attempt. Notably absent? Any stories about the victims still in critical or serious condition, the police who responded, the would-be assassin, or the extremist "liberal" rhetoric that fed his rage. No, the slightly impolite comment about "liberals" is apparently the thing worth talking about right now.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
I'm talking about the notion that he was informed by the NYT article, which some have claimed. The article said there was security at the practices. It didn't say anything about leadership being there.

"Security" can mean a pretty wide range of things, especially where politicians are concerned, from a squad of Marines at each potential approach down to one off-duty, near-retirement cop.  For a baseball practice, I'd have guessed maybe doubled up on the latter, which is pretty much what "plainclothes Capitol Police in a black SUV" sounds like.  (For real protection, you're not going to have two guys both sitting in one vehicle, where they can only cover a single approach.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:50:53 AM by KD5NRH »

Hawkmoon

• friend
The home page for the Bing search engine has multiple tabs at the bottom of the page, linking to featured news stories. For the past couple of days they've had Bruce Jenner's photo on the first page, due to his comments on the assassination attempt. Notably absent? Any stories about the victims still in critical or serious condition, the police who responded, the would-be assassin, or the extremist "liberal" rhetoric that fed his rage. No, the slightly impolite comment about "liberals" is apparently the thing worth talking about right now.

There hasn't been much about Scalise or the wounded officer even on Drudge. It seems the entire media universe has declared a moratorium on mentioning it.

Probably because they (the media) are disappointed that the only person killed was the shooter.

Perd Hapley

• friend
There hasn't been much about Scalise or the wounded officer even on Drudge. It seems the entire media universe has declared a moratorium on mentioning it.

Probably because they (the media) are disappointed that the only person killed was the shooter.

I thought it was because the shooter didn't have a Make America Great Again tattoo.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Simple reason for that.

They're no longer bleeding, so they're no longer leading.

In today's media, it only leads if it bleeds.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Info on the guns used, and how they were (legally) obtained (in Illinois, no less).

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/448818/fbi-report-alexandria-quietly-debunks-gun-controlers-talking-points

The investigation thus far determined that Hodgkinson purchased his SKS 7.62mm caliber rifle in March 2003 and 9mm handgun in November 2016 legally through federal firearms licensees. The investigation has determined that there were cartridges found to be chambered in the SKS rifle and the FBI’s Evidence Response Team found 9mm and 7.62mm shell casings on scene. The SKS rifle was modified to accept a detachable magazine and the original stock was replaced with a folding stock.

Which prompted one of the more reasonable, and thoughtful among our betters to respond thus:

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2017/06/21/gun-grabbing-ghoul-david-frum-sinks-to-twisted-new-low-to-slime-charles-c-w-cooke-on-alexandria/

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The forgot to mention the 24 Hour wait for long guns here in the PDRI.  (72 hour wait for handguns).  Yes, that's after you've passed the background check.

Plus the background check (and wait) to get your FOID card. (3-9 months).

And exactly what new law would have stopped this ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
The investigation thus far determined that Hodgkinson purchased his SKS 7.62mm caliber rifle in March 2003 and 9mm handgun in November 2016 legally through federal firearms licensees. The investigation has determined that there were cartridges found to be chambered in the SKS rifle and the FBI’s Evidence Response Team found 9mm and 7.62mm shell casings on scene. The SKS rifle was modified to accept a detachable magazine and the original stock was replaced with a folding stock.

So did he also shoot his pistol? I thought it was just the SKS. ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
Could the 9mm's be from the good guys?

freakazoid

• friend
That's what I originally thought. But the quoted part makes it sound like they were his, I figured it was just bad wording. Then reading the article and reading the FBI report linked in the article it said, "is believed to have exited his vehicle with two weapons, a 7.62mm caliber SKS rifle and a 9mm handgun, for which he had a holster on his person"
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
Once the officers engaged him, he may have transitioned to his handgun when he emtied a magazine in the SKS.

Or ... he may have used the 9mm to take his own life. Whether they were using 9mms or .40s, it's unlikely the two officers were able to get close enough to make killing shots, unless one of them got really lucky. It would not surprise me if it eventually comes out that the shooter ended by shooting himself. It would fit a very typical pattern.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Whether they were using 9mms or .40s, it's unlikely the two officers were able to get close enough to make killing shots, unless one of them got really lucky.

Are you saying the police didn't fire their weapons? ???

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Once the officers engaged him, he may have transitioned to his handgun when he emtied a magazine in the SKS.

Or ... he may have used the 9mm to take his own life. Whether they were using 9mms or .40s, it's unlikely the two officers were able to get close enough to make killing shots, unless one of them got really lucky. It would not surprise me if it eventually comes out that the shooter ended by shooting himself. It would fit a very typical pattern.

9mm will kill you dead at well past 100 yards.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."