Author Topic: "The Rural Minority are a Core Threat"  (Read 7785 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: "The Rural Minority are a Core Threat"
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »
Ok, I'm not sure what your point is? It's winner take all (for the most part) at the state level and electors are based off the state's population. It balances the weight of the states. If you'd prefer, I can ask why it should be balanced at the "electoral college" level but the arguments are essentially the same.

It's up to each state to decide if its electoral votes are winner-take-all or apportioned according to the popular vote.

Are you aware that in the beginning senators weren't elected by the people at all? As originally established under the Constitution, the House of Representatives was elected by the people, and the Senate was elected by the legislatures of the respective states. I'm still not certain the change to electing senators directly was a good thing (although, in my state, the legislature has been so heavily Democrat for so long that it wouldn't have made any difference  for several decades).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
Are you aware that in the beginning senators weren't elected by the people at all? As originally established under the Constitution, the House of Representatives was elected by the people, and the Senate was elected by the legislatures of the respective states. I'm still not certain the change to electing senators directly was a good thing

I was aware of that, but don't really have a strong opinion on whether that was a good or bad change (although my gut instinct is that it's probably good - the old system seems like senators would be too insulated from the citizenry)
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »
I was aware of that, but don't really have a strong opinion on whether that was a good or bad change (although my gut instinct is that it's probably good - the old system seems like senators would be too insulated from the citizenry)
It is my understanding that they were supposed to be more insulated from the citizenry.  There likely is some value to having someone in the FedGov looking out for state sovereignty and maybe going against federal mandates to the states.  Not sure if that would happen if we went back to that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »

That was the intent. The House was supposed to represent the people, the Senate was supposed to represent the states.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »
It is my understanding that they were supposed to be more insulated from the citizenry.  There likely is some value to having someone in the FedGov looking out for state sovereignty and maybe going against federal mandates to the states.  Not sure if that would happen if we went back to that.  

The point in state reps  appointing senators was to give the state, as a political entity, political power in Washington D.C.  That insured the STATE   had a voice.   The place for the PEOPLES'   VOICE   was the House.
Edit

Oooops...Hawkmoon beat me to it.    :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2017, 12:00:55 PM »
I believe that the "reasoning" behind the change to popularly elected Senators was exactly that:  to "enhance" that glorious thing called "democracy."  After all, who could possibly argue against each person having a direct vote on everything?  Democracy, right?

This was directly opposite to what the original Congress saw as a valuable check against the inherent evils of a pure democracy.

Democracy is doomed from the moment the voters discover that they can vote to get largesse from the public treasury.  (I won't put quotes around that because I don't remember who said it, or if it's exact.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
Saw this in a thread on Facebook

Conservatism has died on its own. It simply became a platform for money lovers and power grabbers to use. We let them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2017, 11:19:04 PM »
It's up to each state to decide if its electoral votes are winner-take-all or apportioned according to the popular vote.

Are you aware that in the beginning senators weren't elected by the people at all? As originally established under the Constitution, the House of Representatives was elected by the people, and the Senate was elected by the legislatures of the respective states. I'm still not certain the change to electing senators directly was a good thing (although, in my state, the legislature has been so heavily Democrat for so long that it wouldn't have made any difference  for several decades).
[/u]

And in Michigan where we've had 2 Democrat senators for decades, has a mostly Republican legislature for many years. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw