Author Topic: Something I am surprised has not been mentioned...  (Read 2188 times)

Iain

• friend
Something I am surprised has not been mentioned...
« on: May 28, 2005, 01:57:07 AM »
...George Galloway's appearance before the Senate committee investigating Oil for Food.

I watched the whole thing through on the day that it happened, figured that it would at least make some impact here or on THR.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Iain

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 02:49:06 PM »
No impact then.

It was generally percieved here that despite being a silly old lefty, Galloway issued a pretty blistering performance.

This wasn't a big news story?

Ron

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 03:22:10 PM »
It was in the news but faded fast.

Between the fillibuster of the judges and the hold up in John Boltons confirmation as ambassador to the UN the news is cluttered.

I am a somewhat of a news junkie.  My knowledge of him was that he was accused of being involved in the oil for food scandel and that he was a left winger with a poor view of the US.

If the average person here even knew that much about him I would be surprised.

We are a little thick skinned here in the states,  somebody is denouncing us and making speeches against us at any given time somewhere in the world.

His speech was little different than the rhetoric from our own lefties.

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 03:37:09 PM »
Michael Jackson farted in the courtroom on the day that Galloway testified.

Guess who got all the news coverage?

j/k cheesy

Paddy

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 04:56:52 PM »
I heard Galloway ate Coleman's lunch, dinner and tomorrow's breakfast.  Our politicians, like most of yours, have become soft and feminized.

Ron

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 07:55:40 PM »
The Parliament to the Senate is what the UFC (ultimate fighting championship) is to a spelling bee.

They don't hold back over there where in the Senate there is a pretense of "respect".

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 12:09:00 AM »
We don't like 'unparliamentary language'.

You can call your opponent a liar outside the chamber, but you get in trouble with the guy in the robes should you do it inside the chamber. The phrase 'economical with the truth' might be allowable.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 09:46:33 AM »
Yep, the other "news" drowned out the story of George "Baathist" Galloway vs US Senate.

What I found most interesting about the Galloway testimony was that his most persistent & effective questioner was one of our left-ish Democrats.  I forget the fellow's name.  He would ask a question, & Galloway would wriggle on the hook & verbally squirm to not answer the question and respond with bombast.  Lefty Dem was not dissuaded by the verbal ink-cloud & kept hammering until George looked like the kind of fellow he is.  (See Christopher Hitchen's latest on Galloway for more detail on GG's substance.)

I have serious political/philosophical disagreements with the lefty Dems.  Sometimes they'll surprise you, however, like the fellow above or the Barney Frank vs Eason Jordan deal at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Chocolate-land.  It gives me a little more hope in America that not all decency is lost in the Dem party.

Is anyone really surprised that the BBC spun the affair as a victory for the pro-Baathist Galloway vs the US Senate?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 11:04:57 AM »
I watched it all, didn't look like anything other than a pretty effective denial that he had profited in any way from Iraq oil deals, or that he was a particular friend of the Baathist regime.

When asked about his frequent meetings he told them that two meetings could hardly be described as 'frequent'.

I don't know whether or not he did profit, but he didn't squirm. I didn't watch any BBC news reports on it, I merely watched the entire testimony off the BBC's website.

Ron

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 12:42:54 PM »
I figure if there was a "smoking gun" he wouldn't be jetting around making speeches.

There is some smoke,  but it comes down to a he said she said type of proof.  Nothing substantial.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »
Leftist's buy tinfoil in bulk: George Galloway was a Republican plant!!!!
Quote from: "Greg Palast"
During his debate with Salman Rushdie at the recent Edinburgh TV Festival, someone asked George Galloway if television should broadcast an adaptation of Rushdie's novel, "Satanic Verses." According to Rushdie, Galloway replied, "If you don't respect religion, you have to suffer the consequences."

Holy Jesus! This was, unmistakably, an endorsement of the death-sentence fatwa issued against Rushdie by Ayatollah Khomeini.
Read on.  It goes from GG's endorsement of death for any who dare to question Islam to the American Left's fever-induced hallucinations.

You can't make up stuff like this.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton