Author Topic: A Gift of a Gaffe  (Read 9786 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: A Gift of a Gaffe
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »
The sad thing is that the "Stupid Party" nickname appear to apply today to a lot of Republicans around the country who are calling for this guy to drop out of the race.  They don't even know yet what the voters there think about it, yet they are jumping on the stupid bandwagon.  This is a senate seat they really need and they want to give it up without a fight. 

He is toasted crispies. The only chance of having an R in that seat is to grab someone now, get him out there and punch Akin in the face if he tries to endorse the new guy. No way he will recover.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
I don't see how "legitimate rape" can be interpreted in any other way than "an actual rape, not the kind where the woman is lying."  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 11:39:22 PM »
Fistful, go to your local sexual assault support group, and ask them some questions. You would not BELIEVE some of the notions some folks have about the word "rape"

Seriously... I would rather you and I get drunk and argue abortion, than deal with what some folks believe about rape
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 11:40:24 PM »
Fistful, go to your local sexual assault support group, and ask them some questions. You would not BELIEVE some of the notions some folks have about the word "rape"

Seriously... I would rather you and I get drunk and argue abortion, than deal with what some folks believe about rape

OK. Now I am curious.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 11:50:25 PM »
He is toasted crispies. The only chance of having an R in that seat is to grab someone now, get him out there and punch Akin in the face if he tries to endorse the new guy. No way he will recover.
He was 11 points up before this from what I heard.  We'll see.  If the GOP doesn't actively try to torpedo him, he may recover.  The question to me is can he weather the media onslaught and manage to remind voters why they didn't want to vote for a liberal Democrat a week ago. 

The local radio guy down here recounted several different times where Democrat candidates did or said something completely stupid yet the Dems didn't abandon them and they got elected.  He was railing on the GOP was having zero courage to fight at all.  I think I agree with him. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 11:53:09 PM »
The local radio guy down here recounted several different times where Democrat candidates did or said something completely stupid yet the Dems didn't abandon them and they got elected.  He was railing on the GOP was having zero courage to fight at all.  I think I agree with him. 

I'm not saying Akin should go (yet), but aren't both of you forgetting that the media is a huge factor in how important a gaffe is?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 11:59:41 AM »

Dems can get away with it, Rs cannot.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
Yea. A lot of folks don't believe that he made a blunder or mistake in his comments. That he actually believes what he said, just that his phrasing was perhaps not ideal. His apology appears to reflect this. Actually, he didn't release an apology, he released a statement that he misspoke during the interview. So, considering he did not apparently retract his comment... Uhm. Wow.

Hard to blame the media on this one. You could easily blame the media if he acknowledged that he said something stupid, offensive and apparently not scientifically valid. He didn't retract anything. Or acknowledge that his comments were "insulting, inexcusable, and, frankly, wrong." (According to Romney) Even the "My comments were taken out of context" trick wouldn't fly here.

I'm frankly surprised by how many folks here are not understanding the depths of how badly this guy screwed up. The correct answer when "your side" screws up to this extent is not to whine that the "other side" does horrible things to. The correct answer to this particular incident is to direct hellfire on target. Evil is evil. "But he is one of us, so he should get leniency!" I personally reject this view. I always hold any affiliation or associate to a higher morality. Or I cast them out.

"I am just not seeing the outrage or the insult."

I have no words to even begin to articulate the depths of how wrong this entire thought process is. LadySmith gave it a valid and worthy try. My hats off to you, LS. Same goes for the jokes about women as appliances in this context. I believe everything should be subject to humor, because the horrors of reality are best faced with humor. But decorum says a lot as well. A joke about a dead friend at the bar is one thing, often of sad but affectionate remember. Said at the person's funeral, it could easily be seen as a direct and cutting insult depending on the delivery. Even the same words, inflected in two different ways, could be answered (correctly, from my morality) with a friendly pat on the back or excellent shot placement to the nasal cavity.

Timing, decorum and perception (or intentional lack thereof) say much about a person's morality.

Respectfully, that's why I carry and encourage others to carry. Because not everyone on the planet has a fully developed sense of morality, in that equal baseline treatment should be extended to every human until that human personally does something to alter the balance. APS members, in my opinion, are generally more honorable than most random collections of folks that I've ever met. But even here, there are gaps of perception. I would say honor or morality, but that's merely my perception. While likely or hopefully not dangerous, always something to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:58:07 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »
One thing that a local commentator mentioned is that Republican's are really bad at picking up their wounded from the battlefield.

Joe Biden talks about "putting y'all back in chains".   At it just gets passed off as "Crazy ol' Uncle Joe".

Campaigns are long and grueling.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.   

And as to "legitimate rape". I took it that he meant actual rape.  Not "Regret Sex" or the like.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
Well, let me try to break it on down for ya...

"Legitimate (not ok) rape" leads one to believe that there's a mysterious form of "illigitimate (it's ok) rape" going on out there.
And from what he said, even in the event of the not-ok kind of rape, a woman's body has the miraculous ability to override that little bit of rape-horror and make everything ok by not letting itself get pregnant.
No harm, no foul, right?
Ergo, if the woman gets raped and winds up pregnant, she must have wanted it/been asking for it because her body didn't take control and issue an "abort! abort!"

Therein lies the insult...to a substantial part of the population.

And yet, Akin's comments (as awful as they were) never came close to suggesting that rape is OK, so long as no one gets pregnant. But that is what you seem to be ascribing to him.

Akin's comments (as awful as they were) specifically took into account that the mysterious rape anti-pregnancy mechanism did not always work. So how could anyone take from that, that he is blaming pregnant rape victims for "wanting it"?

Not to mention his whole point was that rape pregnancies are rare (by which he acknowledges that they do happen). So what are these scary beliefs that RevDisk says he hasn't retracted? Is it now a sin for a politician to have been misled on matters gynecological, even if they can't realistically affect his politics? Is it now wrong for politicians to insist that rapists be held accountable?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:58:48 PM by fistful »

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »
Well, here's my take on it:

1) It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare
Reaching for BS when he has no idea.
Just because he believes that it is rare does not eliminate the impact of a child from rape being a very difficult issue for a woman.
Some might believe that it is sufficient grounds for an abortion.

2) If it is a legitimate rape
There is no delineation when it comes to rape - it is a vile and evil act.
The fact that he might try and legitimate rape in some way seemed quite ignorant.
Rape is rape.

3) A woman's body has ways to shut that down
This is so unbelievably ignorant I cannot believe that anyone would actually say it.
It shows a complete lack of knowledge about how conception really happens.
It also infers that if the woman does not stop the pregnancy, that it is her fault.
This ignorance alone makes me doubt his ability to actually make any intelligent decisions.

Bottom line is that any adult like this, especially one whose decisions affect others, has no business making any decisions for anyone other than himself.

He is truly a complete tool.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
matters gynelogical

You have now misspelled that word so badly that I have no clue what it's supposed to be   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »
The only way I can read this as a mis-statement is if he meant actual, you know, *rape* as opposed to, "omg I just slept with you and now I regret it and clearly YOU RAPED ME!" or "OMG we had sex and now I'm pregnant and I must have been raped!" or just a complete fabrication, ala the Duke Lacrosse team.  If *that* is what he meant as a "legitimate rape" then I'll forgive him the misstatement.  Because yeah, it was a stupid way to phrase things, but I understand his meaning.  I don't agree with his logic/biology regarding "shutting that whole thing down".
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »
Sometimes you get a glimpse into the real soul of a person.

In this case, we did, and he is not reasonably intelligent by any means.

If he can't understand basic conception, then more complex matters will be over his head completely.

This is my basic gripe about him - he is quite stoopid.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

brimic

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:14 PM »
The only way I can read this as a mis-statement is if he meant actual, you know, *rape* as opposed to, "omg I just slept with you and now I regret it and clearly YOU RAPED ME!" or "OMG we had sex and now I'm pregnant and I must have been raped!" or just a complete fabrication, ala the Duke Lacrosse team.  If *that* is what he meant as a "legitimate rape" then I'll forgive him the misstatement.  Because yeah, it was a stupid way to phrase things, but I understand his meaning.

Why did he open his mouth at all?
Maybe we should just encourage politicians to talk more so we can get to this sooner:

Sometimes you get a glimpse into the real soul of a person.

In this case, we did, and he is not reasonably intelligent by any means.

The guy apparantly has been a congressman for quite some time, and while being a complete halfwit, he's not the dumbest congresscrittter by far. No wonder our country is so screwed up. =(

Barack Obama

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »
Why did he open his mouth at all?
Maybe we should just encourage politicians to talk more so we can get to this sooner:

The guy apparantly has been a congressman for quite some time, and while being a complete halfwit, he's not the dumbest congresscrittter by far. No wonder our country is so screwed up. =(
Yea - remember the idiot asking the general in a televised briefing why the island did not tip over?

http://washingtonscene.thehill.com/in-the-know/36-news/3169-rep-hank-johnson-guam-could-tip-over-and-capsize

=D =D =D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 03:30:20 PM »
To me, the primary was a toss-up between this guy, Brunner, and Steelman. I went with Brunner, but Steelman seems like a good replacement candidate. Her being a girl, and everything.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
Yea - remember the idiot asking the general in a televised briefing why the island did not tip over?

http://washingtonscene.thehill.com/in-the-know/36-news/3169-rep-hank-johnson-guam-could-tip-over-and-capsize

Oh my, I had no idea... :O :O I was using Gwen Moore as my  gold standard for stump stupid- until right now.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:58:20 PM by brimic »

Barack Obama

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »
I would actually give this guy a pass, if he hadn't opened his mouth about how the woman's body can "shut that down".

For the sake of discussion, let's say that abortion is again illegal save instances of rape, incest, or severe risk to the mother.

Jane takes Dave back to her place. Things happen. She gets knocked up, and has to claim rape to get an abortion. Hence "illegitimate rape"

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »
I don't see how "legitimate rape" can be interpreted in any other way than "an actual rape, not the kind where the woman is lying."  ???
Because if the woman is lying, it is not rape. It is an accusation of rape.
C'mon now Fistful, don't be obtuse.

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
Well, yeah, if he'd spoken more clearly we wouldn't be talking about this, would we?

Of course, I suspect most such rapes are still in the accusation stage, when abortion is being considered.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
Well, our politician making stupid comments about rape did it in a much more unintentionally hilarious way than yours did.

Go Team GB!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2012/aug/21/george-galloway-julian-assange-sexual-rape-video
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Buzzcook

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 01:07:45 AM »
(There is some research to suggest it might be)

No there is not one scintilla of evidence that this is true. There are some people with absolutely no scientific credibility who make the claim, but they are either deliberately lying or complete fools.

22,000 women become pregnant every year from rape. Akin would rather their lives be ruined than that they have an abortion. He justifies this abysmal be claiming that these women (and children) really asked for it.

The best description for people who hold these views is evil.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 01:32:48 AM »
Oh, boy

*looks for solid object to hide behind*

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?