Author Topic: Handshakes and Dancing with Swords  (Read 1373 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Handshakes and Dancing with Swords
« on: May 21, 2017, 09:24:18 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Handshakes and Dancing with Swords
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:32:21 AM »
Also, I've just been watching some highlights of the trip so far. As much as I complain about Trump's childish tweet wars, he now seems to be in his arena. He is acting the statesman, but also doing "the art of the deal". Outside of normal diplomacy, it was reported that he is actually working the room and is striking up conversations with even the lower ranking people present, asking them about their lives and being genuinely friendly. That has to be huge in that culture.

I also read (not sure of the accuracy) that his last words before deplaning upon arrival were, "Anyone who bows to anyone is on the next commercial flight out."   :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
Am I just prejudiced, or was the reception the Saudis gave Trump much more grand than anything they gave Obama?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 10:51:06 AM »
Okay, whatever else you may say about the administration, they handled interacting with the Saudis way better than the Obowma administration.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/20/trump-shakes-hands-with-saudi-leader-doesnt-bow-as-obama-appeared-to-do.html

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/05/20/rex-tillerson-dancing-sword-saudi-arabia-wilbur-ross-donald-trump-visit-riyadh

From the first link:

First lady Melania Trump wore a black pantsuit with a golden belt and did not cover her head for the arrival, consistent with custom for foreign dignitaries visiting Saudi Arabia.

And the TRS-infected lamestream media are making a YUUUGE deal out of the fact that Melania didn't cover up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
From the first link:

And the TRS-infected lamestream media are making a YUUUGE deal out of the fact that Melania didn't cover up.

In fairness, apparently Trump criticized Michelle Obama for not wearing one on their visit at that time. However, yeah, the left has now completely turned their opinion around. "The hibjab = feminism! Yay!"

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »
Am I just prejudiced, or was the reception the Saudis gave Trump much more grand than anything they gave Obama?

My understanding is that they really dislike Obama (despite the bow) and are cautiously optimistic about Trump so it wouldn't surprise me if he got a grander reception. I assume it has to do with Iran, regardless I don't really trust the Saudis but I guess we're stuck working with them.

It's also apparently a big deal that he didn't say the magic three words?
President Trump during a speech Sunday in Saudi Arabia avoided the term "radical Islamic terrorism," which he often used on the campaign trail.
??? Fine by me
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:14:21 PM by DittoHead »
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 12:31:33 PM »
yeah, I agree - so what? he didn't say "radical islamic terrorism"  his job over there is not to provoke or insult ( that is his job here though sometimes hahah )...
I'm supposed to care if he said this or that?  like, whatever dinosaur media.
However, seeing all the swords and guns - I was like wow!! that has got to make secret service go bonkers.
I never get to carry guns and swords anywhere near a President.  >:D
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »
I heard part of Trump's speech this morning on the way to church; didn't get to listen to the whole thing.

It was good! (yeah, I know he didn't write it)  And well-delivered.
"It's good, though..."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
This hasn't stopped them from saying he bowed. There is a Facebook... group/organization/whatever, called Now This. They tried to make the claim that he is a hypocrite for calling out Obama on bowing when Trump bowed. They pretty much just make things up, and the comment section is cancer.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 08:01:30 PM »
This hasn't stopped them from saying he bowed. There is a Facebook... group/organization/whatever, called Now This. They tried to make the claim that he is a hypocrite for calling out Obama on bowing when Trump bowed. They pretty much just make things up, and the comment section is cancer.

If you actually watch the incident in question, it's crystal clear that he is lowering his head so the King can reach up to put the medal around his neck.

The real question is, why was that not done for Obama? They just told him, "here, take it." and he had to put it around his own neck. Likely because he bowed lower than the lowliest servant when they first met, so the King didn't want to demean himself by properly presenting a medal to the hired help.  >:D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 05:00:28 PM »
And now the lamestream media are loudly and widely proclaiming that Melania and Trump are on the outs because she "slapped his hand" away when he reached out to her as they arrived in Israel.

Just one example: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/05/22/melania_appears_to_slap_donald_trump_s_hand_away_video.html

I watched the video, and I don't see it as a "rejection" on her part. Trying to put myself in the situation, it looks more to me like she touched his hand to acknowledge that she was there, but kind of said "This is not the time or the place for canoodling."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design