Author Topic: "I Am Legend" thread...  (Read 8395 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: "I Am Legend" thread...
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 04:36:37 PM »
>Mine spent some time with her nose wedged into my shoulder making a shield for her eyes with the Raisinets box.<

You say that like it's a BAD thing, El T... Wink

Sheah! Raisinettes suck! grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2007, 07:49:44 PM »
Re: the beard

They had another soldier run his hand over his face and say ""I just can't get used to the new regs.

So, they wrote in that the uniform regulations would be changed to allow beards in the near future?  Why? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »
The vampires lose all hair - perhaps mandatory beards were one way to tell when someone had begun to become infected?

I dunno, beard regs are kind of small potatoes when we're talking about a world famous government super-scientist tasked with eradicating global plague, who has a high tech lab built underneath his Manhattan townhome.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2007, 09:36:32 AM »
So, they wrote in that the uniform regulations would be changed to allow beards in the near future?  Why? 

A navy admiral got in charge of the combined uniform regulations and pushed it through?   rolleyes

As for the house and stuff:  I kinda figured he was probably a reservist as well, activated during the outbreak.  Given his specialty, they weren't about to reassign him, instead pretty much sticking him in uniform so the other military types would listen to him.

Does anybody object to his compressed animal to human testing style?  'One rat survived and is looking better, time to try it on a human!'.  I was initially thinking of moving up to a dog, personally.  Though I'll admit that in this case, compressed cycle makes sense - limited manpower and resources combined with deaths that were still likely daily.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2007, 04:51:07 AM »
Does anybody object to his compressed animal to human testing style?  'One rat survived and is looking better, time to try it on a human!'.  I was initially thinking of moving up to a dog, personally.  Though I'll admit that in this case, compressed cycle makes sense - limited manpower and resources combined with deaths that were still likely daily

Personally I thought it was a great idea.  The only reason that human trials are delayed in a normal situation is to prevent people from getting sick or dying.  Since everyone is already a zombie, who cares if the trial kills them?

Just as an example of the speed and effectiveness direct human trials I present the following with a disclaimer first:

I do not under any circumstances agree with, or respect what was done during the holocaust.

When I was in grade school, they had the town resident holocaust survivor talk about what she went through, and show us her museum.  She had a twin sister that died of kidney failure, as it turns out she had the kidneys of a nine-year old.  Somehow the nazi doctors managed to stop her kidneys from growing.  Truely unbelievable, especially considering this was done before we had even discovered DNA. 

Once again my point of sharing this is to elaborate the effectiveness of direct human testing, both in mortality and results. 

The testing procedures made it more believable that Will Smith's caracter was able to develop a cure.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2007, 05:39:52 AM »
The movie was alright overall, but many practical details were badly handled. In particular, it is not clear why they chose CGI for the zombies, when real actors with modern makeup would have been so much more convincing and probably less expensive.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 08:15:13 AM »
It is the rare movie that the addition of CGI improves.  Substituting plot, character devel, acting, etc., with CGI still results in cinemuck.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2007, 10:00:05 AM »
Were they zombies or vampires in the movie?  They are supposed to be vampires.  The more I hear about this flick, the less it sounds like the book of the same name.

Chris

Peter Ratner

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 11:32:13 AM »
I'd just like know how that woman and her son drove on and off of Manhattan after all the bridges were destroyed. 

Iain

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »
It is the rare movie that the addition of CGI improves.  Substituting plot, character devel, acting, etc., with CGI still results in cinemuck.

Digging this one up.

Saw it yesterday, not usually one to dig at CGI, but the present problem with CGI is that it works just fine for a beastie something mythological, but the CGI lions looked plain awful. Very easy to see inaccuracies when you are familiar with the original, their faces were very cartoony. The infected humans weren't so bad, except in the face.

Couple of things though - they set him that trap and tracked him to his house, was that because they wanted to eat him, or because the recurrent infected human character wanted his girlfriend back? Smith took the fact that the guy exposed himself (briefly) to UV as a sign that all human characteristics had broken down (too voraciously hungry to care about risks) when it seemed to me that the motivation was just the opposite.

Said to a friend as we were leaving the cinema that the film will be liked because of the 'last man on earth' theme, we like the idea and we feel like that everyday anyway. Looked at me weird.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 08:11:44 AM »
Couple of things though - they set him that trap and tracked him to his house, was that because they wanted to eat him, or because the recurrent infected human character wanted his girlfriend back? Smith took the fact that the guy exposed himself (briefly) to UV as a sign that all human characteristics had broken down (too voraciously hungry to care about risks) when it seemed to me that the motivation was just the opposite.

That's because they were trying to deal with the "Who's the real monster?" theme of the original "I Am Legend" novella, and did so again when Neville and the Brazillian woman survivor confront the wall of Polaroid photos of the deceased infected "human trials" he'd conducted.

Of course, in the movie they played with that theme so half-heartedly, it barely made any sense.

In the novella, Neville isn't a doctor, just a run-of-the-mill middle class factory worker, he does some research with what he learns in the abandoned libraries about biology and disease, but he spends most of the time simply killing the infected during the day to try and get some peace and safety at night. The infected are rather insane to varying degrees, but can reason and speak, at least well enough to try various ways (the women use sexual displays, which he finds the worst) to tempt him out of his fortified house.

You never know for sure, but Neville's research and the story suggest that the plague is a bacterium that was responsible for all the vampire myths in history, but had been naturally held in check until (nuclear) wars, overpopulation, etc. of the 20th century made it run amok. There were also two kinds of infected. Those who were actually dead, and driven almost totally by the bacteria, and those who were partially alive living with the bacteria in symbiosis.

At the end, you learn the symbiotic type of infected are learning to cope, and forming a government, and cleaning up the city outside Neville's daylight travel radius. The woman "survivor" he meets is really a spy with makeup, and they then come for him, as he's the "legendary monster" now, who kills them during the day with impunity, just like our legends of vampires, werewolves etc. terrorized humanity at night.

The female vampire spy turns out to be their leader, and out of sympathy and understanding his viewpoint as the last survivor, offers him a suicide pill before he's lynched to quell the new vampire population's fears. Which then they tried to mirror somewhat in the movie with Neville blowing himself up with the grenade.

I promise not to duck.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 11:13:42 AM »
Well, if they are all vampires, whom are they feeding on?  laugh

That's the problem with many sci-fi stories - only the really good ones manage to dodge trivial common-sense contradictions.

That reminds me of all the monster movies on the sci-fi channel, where a gigantic beastie lives in an ecosystem which clearly would not be able to support its energy requirements even for a month, let alone on a continuous, steady-state basis.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 01:46:36 PM »
Sometimes you just have to know the difference between hard science fiction, which is one thing, and a fantasy set in a space and/or futuristic setting.  You can find holes in just about any plot, of any genre.  But even in hard SF, there is usually a bigger point being made.

That's not to say that some holes aren't big enough to let the whole story slip through. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »
Well, if they are all vampires, whom are they feeding on?  laugh

Presumably the deer etc.

As for "why didn't he realize it  was a trap?" - I my interpretation/assumption was that he had already gone half crazy (remember - he had already been shown chatting to the mannequins), so while he was still able to act (mostly) rationally when sticking to his routine (borrow a DVD, visit the docks, hunt, fortify house, experiment on zombie rats, sleep, repeat), when he encountered something that indicated a major change had happened (mannequin not where it should be), he became panicked and confused, and went into "OMGWTF!" mode, rather than being able to rationally assess what in meant.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »
Correct on the crazy. The guy had been gone for a long time. Asking a model out? Shooting up the moved model? "WTF are you doing, Fred? You know better than that, Fred!" Dakka-dakka-dakka... "WTF Fred?"  laugh

Catching deer on foot is not something vampire zombies would be capable of doing.

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2008, 11:02:40 AM »
Catching deer on foot is not something vampire zombies would be capable of doing.

Why not? 

They are stronger and faster than humans, and they have vampire zombie dogs as well.

And if they are intelligent enough to set traps for humans they could set a trap for a deer.

Alternatively they could be ambush predators, either lying in wait where they know deer might go, or else they could work in a team with some setting an ambush and others chasing them into the trap.