Author Topic: Bacon in the oven  (Read 8361 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Bacon in the oven
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »
Someone clearly has too much time on their hands.

I'm a fan of my bacon press myself.  The Foreman is good too, and fast.  Plus it collects the fat very handily without having to pour hot grease.  Always a plus with kids underfoot.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
Tuttle... Oh.  My.  God.   There must be a name for that concoction.  Let me guess:  Triple Bypass?  Double Lipitor?  Stroke Surprise?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 10:36:15 PM »
See, I don't like rubbery.  Bacon must be cooked to somewhere between crispy and burnt, and completely evenly.  With the weave thing going on there I don't see any way to not have rubbery bits.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 10:37:43 PM »
I'll either use a cast iron pan or the George Foreman grill.
I never tried the Foreman grill.  That might be interesting.  

I tried the oven thing this morning.  It worked okay.  The bacon came out great.  The house still got smelled up with bacon.  I am apparently in the minority in that once I am no longer hungry, I really don't want to smell bacon throughout the house or smell in again every time I come back inside.  When it is 97 outside, I really don't want to open up windows either.  

I think I'll go back to using the microwave.  It seems to be the easiest means to cook up 2 or 3 slices at a time.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »
See, I don't like rubbery.  Bacon must be cooked to somewhere between crispy and burnt, and completely evenly.  With the weave thing going on there I don't see any way to not have rubbery bits.
I'm with you there.  I'd rather have nearly burnt bacon than anything close to underdone. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »
I'm with you there.  I'd rather have nearly burnt bacon than anything close to underdone. 
Properly cooked bacon should be something just short of cremation.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »
Well, I hit this thread again while I had asparagus baking in the oven, and now it has been joined by bacon. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »
Dinner last night was excellent.  The ex brought over a big dish of 'cowboy caviar' as the appetizer, and I have forgotten how good that was.  I have not had it in years.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42:23 AM »
OK, I put the bacon in the oven trick this morning because I didn't have any time to pan fry...

Oh chewy goodness! I still prefer pan fry overall, but the oven method is much superior to microwaving.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »
Oh chewy goodness! I still prefer pan fry overall, but the oven method is much superior to microwaving.

I'm getting to be almost the opposite. I still like sitting under the tree with bacon going in the grill and beer in hand, but the oven stuff has been coming out oh so good. I've been doing the trick where I crumple and then uncrumple the aluminum foil before I line the pan, so it creates a rough surface with a bunch of little nooks for the grease to go almost like a ribbed griddle. Then I've been copying what Nick posted via pictures a while back and sprinkling brown sugar on top of the bacon before it goes in the oven (his recipe called for pralines too, but I replaced the pralines with extra brown sugar). :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »
When I bake my bacon in the oven, I set the oven at 400 degrees, and put the bacon in cold.  I use a large jelly roll sheet and put a steel cooling rack into the pan.  The bacon goes on the rack and bakes.  This allows the grease to drip away and the bacon to get crispy.  The bonus is that I have clear drippings to save.  My parents grew up in Arkansas before moving to Seattle, and I picked up the trick of saving your bacon drippings in a jar in the fridge to use in cooking.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
i was insspired i had an eye round in the oven and fine chopped some bacon  cooked mushrooms and onions in the grease and than made a roux with the whole mess  the gravy rocks after the drippings from the roast and some boullion

That IS inspired!

I love to roast off an eye round on the weekend and then use it for roast beef sandwiches during the week. 

Hokay, cough up recipes/techniques.  Is your eye well-done, or some rare bits left?  'Cause if there are, I might have to try that.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »
gravy is always good!  and i do eye rounds to 115
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
As is so often the case, I see that CSD and I have the same approach to cooking.  I put the room temperature roast in a 325 degree oven, uncovered, and roast until the internal temp at the center of the roast is about 110-115 degrees.  I then let it sit for a good hour or chill it overnight before slicing.  This gives me a pretty nice evenly rare roast.  It is perfect for roast beef or French dip sandwiches.  

I read a story a while back in Cooks' Illustrated suggesting roasting an eye round at a roasting temperature of 225 degrees to an internal temp of 115 degrees, but have not yet tried this.  This is supposed to minimize shrinkage and give you an even pink edge to edge.  I have read other approaches suggesting putting the eye round into a preheated 500 degree oven, then turning off the oven immediately and roasting at about nine minutes per pound until an internal temperature of 115 degrees.  I have done this with other roasts, and it only works with my indwelling temperature probe that allows me to monitor the internal temp from outside the oven.  If you open the oven to check the temp, you are screwed, since you lose your residual heat that is cooking the roast.

Edited to add some details.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:27:55 PM by MillCreek »

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »
i did the big roasts l;ike that  a 90 pd steamship over nite at 225 gets an even pink from the outside all the way to the bone  and as a bonus i would freeze a couple 20 pound top rounds and put em in at the same time they would be perfect for slicing for sandwiches  and be my shtf plan for backing up the steamship if i got extra guests
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »
wanna freak out the better 1/2
'  but about  dozen charcoal briquets in a cast iron frypan. get em burning then bring em inside put em in the bottom of the oven  dump a handful of wet hickory chips on them then stick the roast in. smokes the beef   does make for interesting oven cleanup

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »
gravy is always good!  and i do eye rounds to 115

Schweet!  My dad always called gravy, "brown gold."

As is so often the case, I see that CSD and I have the same approach to cooking.  I put the room temperature roast in a 325 degree oven, uncovered, and roast until the internal temp at the center of the roast is about 110-115 degrees.  I then let it sit for a good hour or chill it overnight before slicing.  This gives me a pretty nice evenly rare roast.  It is perfect for roast beef or French dip sandwiches.  

I read a story a while back in Cooks' Illustrated suggesting roasting an eye round at a roasting temperature of 225 degrees to an internal temp of 115 degrees, but have not yet tried this.  This is supposed to minimize shrinkage and give you an even pink edge to edge.  I have read other approaches suggesting putting the eye round into a preheated 500 degree oven, then turning off the oven immediately and roasting at about nine minutes per pound until an internal temperature of 115 degrees.  I have done this with other roasts, and it only works with my indwelling temperature probe that allows me to monitor the internal temp from outside the oven.  If you open the oven to check the temp, you are screwed, since you lose your residual heat that is cooking the roast.

Edited to add some details.

I have done the 500deg & turn off.  It worked, but I do wonder about consistency.  Summer/winter indoor temps & all that would vary the amount of cooking done.  I need one of those indwelling thermos.

I am quite hot-to-trot to try
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »
check woot for the thermometers  i got a couple and love em