Author Topic: It ain't bragging, if you can back it up  (Read 8389 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
It ain't bragging, if you can back it up
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:14:42 PM »
Actually, it is bragging, because the truth of the statement has no bearing on whether a person is bragging.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brag
1 brag noun \ˈbrag\
Definition:
1: a pompous or boastful statement
2: arrogant talk or manner

Sorry, I just get tired of hearing this confused notion.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: It ain't bragging, if you can back it up
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
So you back up your boastful talk about your feelings by providing the definition of bragging. :facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:40:55 AM »

Under definition two, it may not be considered arrogant if one can indeed perform the action specified.  It's a kinda grey area. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:09:44 PM »

Under definition two, it may not be considered arrogant if one can indeed perform the action specified.  It's a kinda grey area. 

Maybe, if it didn't involve Fistful.

It's always his fault.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
But what is the difference between arrogance and confidence?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:54:05 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIoG4PlEPtY

Holy cow, that shell station is right next to where I work.  I go there several times a week with coworkers.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 06:50:28 PM »
But what is the difference between arrogance and confidence?

confidence + O + B + A + M + A = arrogance?

but really, confidence is believing in your ability. arrogance is believing everyone else is worthless.

Iain

• friend
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
Me too. "GET DOWN NOW!"
"MY DADDY TAUGHT ME GOOD."

Earworm present and accounted for.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »