Author Topic: The fliers given out at cafes in Berlin by the Obama campaign...  (Read 18645 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
To attract people to his rally today.

Scared yet?  shocked

What the hell is he running for anyway? President of the planet?

taurusowner

Re: The fliers given out at cafes in Berlin by the Obama campaign...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
Give it a few years.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »
Looks like a modern version of some the old NAZI propaganda posters.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:40:54 PM »
Looks like a modern version of some the old NAZI propaganda posters.

That's because it is. Bauhaus style of the early 1930's, favored by Nazis, Soviets (as seen in the propaganda magazine USSR in Construction), and other dictatorial regimes. See German Modernism and Soviet Modernism for more.

It's gotten some retro play for things like electronica/dance music events, but that's in an IRONIC sense...making fun of the original purpose as used by political figures. 

This, back to the real purpose, with the face in the corner like that, it's downright frightening.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
What the hell is he doing in Berlin anyway? Huh?
You guys extended voting rights in the presidential election to Germans or what?

And yes, flyer is scary. Even scarier than those old posters.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »
I hear that Obama plastered the Western Wall with giant campaign posters when he was in Jerusalem.  Apparently he thinks Germans and Israelis get to vote.  Maybe you'll get a chance to vote for him too, Viking.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 02:00:40 PM »
I hear that Obama plastered the Western Wall with giant campaign posters when he was in Jerusalem.  Apparently he thinks Germans and Israelis get to vote.  Maybe you'll get a chance to vote for him too, Viking.
I'd rather cut my wrists open than voting for him.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 02:17:54 PM »
Do I have to have the Horst Wessel song memorized yet?  I think I've got the first verse down pat, but I get lost in the chorus...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
I heard on NPR news that a poll of Germans indicated that if they were able to vote for our president something like 76% would vote Obama. Just a reminder that we must have been living right when we won WWII so they can't!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Umber

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »
Not to discount any of the more serious comments, but BO's facial expression seems to indicate that he's having a very rough time with a bowel movement or something of that sort.  I wonder if the event will be televised worldwide?

Or maybe I'm way off base.  His expression might be due to his having been asked a serious question about his policies.

Just grapsing at straws, as usual.

Umber

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 03:47:06 PM »
He's running for President of the US and Secretary General of the UN at the same time.....talk about New World Order creepies.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
Just one problem with BHO's "soaring" speech today in Germany...he should have given it in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, or Libya.  It is they who have erected "the walls."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

FiveBillionAcres

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
Walls and fences make good neighbors I'm a US and a Canadian Citizen and for walls between the two countries, maybe not literal ones because of the expense but sovereignty is good.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 05:38:37 PM »
Do I have to have the Horst Wessel song memorized yet?  I think I've got the first verse down pat, but I get lost in the chorus...

I had an idea of what song that was, but I wasn't sure, so I looked it up.

http://www.worldmilitaria.com/newsite/Media/HorstWesselLied.mp3

Most memorable "place" I remember hearing it was in the Return to Castle Wolfenstein game that came out a couple of years ago.  I thought it was just some German oktoberfest drinking song (I don't know any German).

The parallels between that flier and the displayed posters (as well as the similar WWII era posters that make up some of the scenery in many video games) is just eery.  I can't imagine he didn't know what he or his staffers were doing with those posters.  They're affronting and actually validate many of the other posters I've seen that mock Obama.

Anyways, I don't mean to sound like all I do is play video games... grin it's just my biggest exposure to WWII era propaganda posters and music.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 06:16:58 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/07/24/world/0724-OBAMAGERMANY_3.html
The funniest part is this picture showing up.  I can see a couple more emails circulating next week, only this time they won't be talking about any secret muslim stuff.    laugh

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »
Apparently 200,000 people showed up.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »
No shortage of 'droids.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 07:25:19 PM »
Apparently 200,000 people showed up.
Sorta like the million man march where a million people showed up.  That is, until they actually counted the crows and found that only a measly hundred thousand showed up. 

Or was that the million mom march?  I misremember.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »
Well, here's a Der Spiegel Obamaton reporting on today's happening:

No. 44 Has Spoken

By Gerhard Spörl
Anyone who saw Barack Obama at Berlin's Siegessäule on Thursday could recognize that this man will become the 44th president of the United States. He is more than ambitious -- he wants to lay claim to become the president of the world.

It was a ton to absorb -- and what a stupendous ride through world history: the story of his own family, the Berlin Airlift, terrorists, poorly secured nuclear material, the polar caps, World War II, America's errors, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, freedom. It's amazing one could even pack such a potpourri of issues into sentences and then succeed in squeezing them all into the space of a speech that lasted less than 30 minutes.

So what still sticks? That Barack Obama is a passionate politician who is fixated on and takes very seriously his desire for a bit of uptopia and a better world. That he is an impressive speaker who knows how to casually draw his audience into his image of the world -- one who doesn't have any need to resort to the kind of cheap effects that tend to prompt the uproarious applause of an audience. That he is a typical American -- an idealist in the true spirit of the American success story who is now very casually making his claim to become something akin to the president of the world.

He also could have said: We are a world power, the only one that exists on this planet at the moment, and I am going to act as if that were the case. But you're also allowed to participate in the attempt to try to save the world -- at least a bit of it. In that sense I am different from George W. Bush -- very different. Indeed, Barack Obama has his own sound -- it's more utopian, he speaks of the general human desire for better conditions for all of humanity; and he speaks of the longing for strong and dynamic presidents and chancellors who are capable of acting on a global scale. With this drive and this radiance, he managed to drive Hillary Clinton out of the campaign. It is also the way he is going to outpace John McCain on November 4. It is the way he took the hearts of Americans by storm and it is the way he is now taking Europe by storm.

Anyone who saw him make the short way from the Victory Column in Berlin on Thursday to the podium saw a man with the serious gait of a basketball player, a man who seemed young, decisive and focused. For those who witnessed his appearance in Berlin, it is hard to imagine that John McCain still has any chance. McCain is 25 years his senior, a man who because of the torture he endured in Vietnam is in constant pain -- unable to comb his hair or lift his arm in celebration.

Europe is witnessing the 44th president of the United States during this trip. Anyone who listens to him quickly realizes that he is not only ambitious but will also make demands. In the inner circles of Angela Merkel's Chancellery, he is reportedly seen as a pleasant person, one who arouses curiosity.

However, he is also certain to demand the help of the Germans, Brits and French in Afghanistan and Iraq. He's not going to allow NATO to shirk its duty -- and that is where the perils of the engaging "we" and the catchy "Yes, we can" lie. Otherwise all these hard-nosed Europeans will hope and pray that the future President Obama isnt really all that serious about the saving the world of tomorrow, the polar caps, Darfur and the poppy harvest over in Afghanistan.

George W. Bush is yesterday, the Texas version of the arrogant world power. Obama is all about today: the "everybody really just wants to be brothers and save the world" utopia. As for us, we who sometimes admire and sometimes curse this somewhat anemic, pragmatic democracy, we will have to quickly get used to Barack Obama, the new leader of a lofty democracy that loves those big nice words -- words that warm our hearts and alarm our minds.

Let's allow ourselves to be warmed today, by this man at the Victory Column. Then we'll take a further look.

Gerhard Spörl is the chief editor of DER SPIEGEL's foreign desk.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »
longeyes,

Perhaps that Obamatron isnt as much of a drone as the initial skim-read would suggest:

"we will have to quickly get used to Barack Obama, the new leader of a lofty democracy that loves those big nice words -- words that warm our hearts and alarm our minds"

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »
It was a ton to absorb -- and what a stupendous ride through world history: the story of his own family, the Berlin Airlift, terrorists, poorly secured nuclear material, the polar caps, World War II, America's errors, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, freedom. It's amazing one could even pack such a potpourri of issues into sentences and then succeed in squeezing them all into the space of a speech that lasted less than 30 minutes.

Hey, if you treat 60 different topics to 15 second soundbites followed by 15 seconds of drone-applause, you just killed half an hour without addressing a single issue or being pinned down to a solid stance on anything.

I hear manbearpig is on the loose, too, melting those polar ice caps that Obama's so worried about.  Since he's half man, half bear and half pig you could talk for 30 seconds on each one of those halves and kill 3 minutes when you include the audience-queued applause.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 09:12:16 AM »
Agricola,

I see your point but if his tongue was in his cheek it got stuck.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

agricola

• friend
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »
I see why McCain isn't campaigning much.  He's just letting BO self-destruct.  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin