Author Topic: Heller part 2  (Read 2292 times)

atomd

Heller part 2
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:49:02 AM »
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that overturned Washington's 32-year-old handgun ban has filed a new federal lawsuit against the city.

In a complaint filed Monday in U.S. District Court, Dick Heller and two other plaintiffs allege that the city's new gun regulations still violate rights guaranteed under the Constitution.

The lawsuit cites the District of Columbia's unusual ban on firearms that carry more than 12 rounds of ammunition, which includes most semiautomatic handguns.

The suit also claims that the city's regulations make it all but impossible for residents to keep a gun ready for immediate self defense in the home.

The Supreme Court struck down Washington's handgun ban June 26. The D.C. Council passed emergency legislation July 15 in an effort to comply with the court's ruling.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=74450

As expected. When will idiots like Fenty learn that you can't just ignore the 2A and then directly disobey the SCOTUS? I thought the Heller decision was pretty clear myself. Where is the accountability?

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Heller part 2
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:56:08 AM »
When will idiots like Fenty learn that you can't just ignore the 2A and then directly disobey the SCOTUS? I thought the Heller decision was pretty clear myself. Where is the accountability?

You and I are the accountability. If we send the same old misrepresentatives to Washington, D.C., the self-appointed rulers of that city will know their mandate has been renewed.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:21:33 AM »
When will idiots like Fenty learn that you can't just ignore the 2A and then directly disobey the SCOTUS? I thought the Heller decision was pretty clear myself. Where is the accountability?

You and I are the accountability. If we send the same old misrepresentatives to Washington, D.C., the self-appointed rulers of that city will know their mandate has been renewed.

I fail to see how our selections to Federal office affect what the govt in DC believe they can do.  We already are seeing that they don't even abide by SCOTUS rulings.  The only direct control anyone (outside of govt) wields over the DC govt is voting for the members of that govt which only residents can do.  Prepared to move to DC in order to vote for Mayor or members of the city council?  Didn't think so.

What tools do SCOTUS have at their disposal?

Chris

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 05:41:10 AM »
The Heller decision was really about the viability of the Rule of Law in America.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out, so to speak, on that one.  We have rogue government running amok in America at many levels.

How we fix that is the question.  In the end, as SW says, we are the last line of accountability but it seems many Americans aren't up to the challenge.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »
I think longeyes hit the nail on the head -- this is a test of whether or not the rule of law still means anything in America.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:25:16 PM »
Im'a laugh my ass off if this makes it all the way back to the supreme court, they get pissed, and smack DC silly with a ruling that will make them crap themselves.

....Wont happen of course.  Just saying it would be hilarious.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:46:16 PM »
How far do you guys think it will go?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:50:10 PM »
DC's behavior makes sense, from DC's perspective.  That government wants to have as much strict gun control as possible, and their actions are precisely the way to get it.  They play offense, and make the other side force them to change.  

They probably know their law is going to be overturned, but they don't care.  That law is on the books right now, being enforced, and it will remain until their opposition (us) eventually manage to get it overturned.  Once it does get overturned, they start over again from the beginning, with a new law that fails to satisfy the court's ruling.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:52:03 PM »
How far do you guys think it will go?
my guess is in a few months the district court will smack down DC.

personally, I hope they appeal, but even DC has to understand just how far out on a limb they are. I suspect part of it is they just do not understand a whole lot about guns, and don't have a clue what it takes to be able to defend one's self with one.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »
The bad thing about an appeal is that the taxpayers have to pick up the tab.

Should make some ruling if the mayor/council loses and decides to appeal they pay for it out of their own pocket.  That should end any chance of an appeal once the District Court slaps them down.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!